banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do buffers work best/well in a chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do buffers work best/well in a chain?

Obviously this is going to be incredibly subjective, but it's a forum, not a Q&A site, so let the opinions fly.

My pedal board right now is a mix of Boss and Digitech Hardwire; from axe side to amp side:

Boss TU-2 Tuner (Considering a replacement; the T/B TCE Polytune 2 is at the top of the shortlist)
    Boss CS-3 Compressor (on the shortlist to be replaced by something like a Keeley 4-Knob or MXR M87, both T/B)
    Hardwire CM-2 OD
    Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion
    Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus (Same basic circuit as the CE-5 with some tweaks to the filtering circuit, no plans to replace it)
    Hardwire RV-7 Reverb

This board had started out all Boss, and oriented toward bass (I'd had an ODB-3 in place of the guitar gain effects and an LMB-3 instead of the guitar compressor), but has evolved towards more guitar use. When I replaced the ODB-3 with the CM-2, the tone change was immediate and significant for the better. Since that time I've favored true bypass pedals over the stacked buffers of my original lineup.

I fear, however, that I may be going too far; with a 15-footer on either side of this board plus 6 pedals inline, I think it would be good to keep at least one buffer around to reduce cumulative capacitance. If I ditch the TU-2 and CS-3 for true-bypass replacements, the sole buffer pedal in the whole chain is the CEB-3 tucked in toward the end of the board.

The question, then, is whether it might be better to keep the TU-2 (or upgrade it to the slightly better TU-3) and thus keep a buffer at the beginning of the chain plus the one toward the end. To know the answer, I think I need to know whether capacitance comes more from long cable runs on either side of the board, or from the connections within a board, or both. If the connections within the board have a significant effect, then keeping a good buffer in front of the board (as well as the one toward the end) sounds like the best plan. Otherwise, just cutting the length of unbuffered high-impedance signal run roughly in half anywhere on the board is fine.

Re: Where do buffers work best/well in a chain?

I would say put it first before your pedals. If you can afford 2 or have at least one pedal with a really good buffer like a Truetone/Visual Sound pedal and a buffer, put one at each end of the effect chain.

I have mostly Visual Sound pedals which all have Visual Sound/ Truetone's standalone buffer built in. I put one at the last of my effect chain (H2O) and then one at or near the front of the chain (currently a Double Trouble after wah, compressor and clean boost; but considering putting my Angry Fuzz before the Wah).

Comment

One buffer at the beginning should be sufficient, the output should drive the remainder of the chain without issue. An easy test is to try with and without the TU-2.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Honestly doesn't really matter, try beginning and end, doubt you'll hear a difference as long as its in there. Also, don't bother going to the TU-3. I prefer the TU-2 as I find it more visible onstage
        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
          One buffer at the beginning should be sufficient, the output should drive the remainder of the chain without issue. An easy test is to try with and without the TU-2.
          Will do when I have some time (holidays, you know). I'll try a few combinations of my pedals (current full chain, TU-2 only, Hardwire OD only, Hardwire Reverb only, all TB pedals, TBs with the Chorus in the usual spot, TBs with the TU-2 up front) and see what shakes out tone-wise. Might even post some recordings to Soundcloud. If there's a notable difference, that will mold future changes to the board; if not, that's its own answer.

Thanks for the replies, both of you, I was getting worried this would sink into the depths never to be seen again.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
            Honestly doesn't really matter, try beginning and end, doubt you'll hear a difference as long as its in there. Also, don't bother going to the TU-3. I prefer the TU-2 as I find it more visible onstage
            Thanks for the input on the tuner. I really like the idea of the Polytune (fast, accurate, TB), but if the location of buffers in the chain makes enough of a difference to stay buffered up front, I'll keep what I have for the foreseeable future. The TU-3 isn't that much faster or more accurate, and if the new display is an issue then that kinda tears it.

Comment

Originally posted by Liko View Post
              The TU-3 isn't that much faster or more accurate
              i've found the tu3 and especially the polytune to be way more accurate than the tu2. the tu2 is accurate to +/-3 cents, the tu3 is +/-1 cent, and the polytune is +/-0.5. on their own you may not notice a big difference, but when you're playing with another guitarist and a bassist, all with tu2 at all ends of the "in tune" spectrum, it can start to get a little wonky. I'm not the biggest fan of the tu3 either. but i do love the polytune.
              Quality riffs in about a minute...
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Working...
              X