X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TwilightOdyssey
    replied
    Re: Flangers.....Where to begin.....

The Moog is amazing ... it's laid out like a modular synth module and is super versatile.

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied

I have had both of the MXR Flangers. Loved my micro years back and bought the big boy M-117 as a replacement. My only issue with the MXRs is the volume drop when engaged drove me crazy. A slight boost would have been fine but a drop was counter productive. When I researched the web it was not just me a lot of people had issue with this problem. Now that I have the MOOG I can set the pedal for a natural volume when engaged or to even have a boost. Admittedly it might me a bit more than most people are looking for.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny the Kid
    replied

I loved the MXR/ EVH one I played a million years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Lampy H
    replied

The new Catalinbread Zero Point looks cool.

Leave a comment:

• J E C
    replied

Oh boy, that Strymon Mobius sure sound good..... BUT, OH BOY THE PRICE.... LOL
    Sounds like you could get pretty close to a lot of sounds from EVH, Rush, Trower, Travers, Hendrix, Floyd.....

Leave a comment:

• ThisDyingSoul76
    replied

Originally posted by El Supremo View Post
    I've got the Mooer Eleclady. I like the more subtle EHX type flanging, but that unit is probably as big as my board. The Mooer sounds practically identical (a tad brighter maybe), is true bypass and is about the size of half an MXR enclosure.
    This is what I'd get if I found one locally and could do a trade for my BF-2... Although the longer I have the BF-2, I'm starting to figure out how to get something similar to that Electric Mistress sound. I may just keep it and grab the Mooer too... God, I have to stop this, next I'll be contemplating my 3rd or 4th Tube a Screamer variation. Lol

Leave a comment:

• ThisDyingSoul76
    replied

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    I use a Danelectro Hash Browns Flanger. It's a placeholder, until I remember what I'm supposed to be using a flanger for and/or want something different. I tried a fancy new model the other day and couldn't get it to sound anything other than weird and unnatural. I like that the Danelectro is just three knobs -- easy to use -- and sounds good for what I paid.
    The Danelectro stuff is surprisingly good for the price. I have the Fish & Chips compressor. I think it's based on the Ross compressor. For $20, I couldn't go wrong but like you, it's a placeholder until I find something I like better. If you like the Danelectro Hash Browns but hope to find a better quality version do some research to find out if it's based on anything else (the Dano Stuff usually is). That may help narrow down your search.

Personally, I'm actually thinking about keeping the Fish & Chips even if I do find another compressor. It'll basically be another option... Maybe I'll keep it for my second pedalboard when I get that started. Lol

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

TimmyPage, great point on TZF, totally spaced out on those!

Leave a comment:

• SlyFoxx
    replied

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

For the Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress tone, the Hartman Flanger is REALLY good, I like it a lot for Gilmour type usage. ............

+1. It's also VERY well built if a bit pricey.

Leave a comment:

• TimmyPage
    replied

I love Flangers, and as more time has passed I've found that I reach for a flanger far more often than a chorus, when I'm going for that type of sound. They're always going to be less subtle than a chorus, and on higher depth settings a flanger can sound really metallic as it passes through certain frequencies, whether you like that or not is up to you, I love it. I've especially been falling for the really watery sounds of the flangers in my Strymon Mobius (Especially the sounds from 1:24 in the video, which is probably my most commonly used setting on the actual pedal.)

There are two (and one other notable mention) schools of flanger that are worth investigating as a beginner to the effect. PFDarkside gave a very good overview on them, but these are the two that I would look into FIRST if I didn't know much about the effect. The EHX Electric Mistress is a lush sounding flanger that does a very lovely chorus sound, think early Police, Wall era Pink Floyd. The MXR Flangers do that swooshey jet sound, think Van Halen's Unchained or Heart's Barracuda.

The third category is of course the original tape flange, or through zero. The original flanging process of taking a doubletrack tape machine and pushing down on one of the tapeheads to slow the signal and get an extreme whooshey plane taking off effect. Think the end jam of Bold as Love by Hendrix.

Leave a comment:

• El Supremo
    replied

I've got the Mooer Eleclady. I like the more subtle EHX type flanging, but that unit is probably as big as my board. The Mooer sounds practically identical (a tad brighter maybe), is true bypass and is about the size of half an MXR enclosure.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied

I really like the MXR Flangers, yeah, for that early VH sound. The Electric Mistress and ADA are a different kind of flanging, as said before, more Hendrix-ish or Gilmour-ish if you will. I don't have a lot of experience with the Boss or Ibanez ones.

You kinda have to decide what kind of flanger sound you want, and the best way to do that may be to go somewhere that you can try out a few different ones.

FTR, I picked up a used TC Vortex Flanger, and I love most of TC's stuff, but I couldn't really get the sounds I wanted out of it. I get a better sound out of the Vintage (MXR) flanger in my Zoom G3, but I think a Micro Flanger is in my near future so I can put it in front of my preamp instead of in the loop (where the G3 is).

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

Lots of cool flangers on the market. Do you know what sounds you want? BF-2 is a great base model to get your feet wet. The MXR is classic, great for jet plane swooshes heard on EVH albums. The Electric Mistress is another classic, heard by Gilmour on The Wall and Andy Summers. (Very light, almost chorus-like flanging) The Ibanez Airplane Flanger is an extreme pitch bending one that Paul Gilbert uses. The Boss HF-2 (Hi-Band Flanger) is an interesting variation on the BF-2, but only having the effect on the higher frequency bands it's a little less extreme than the BF-2. The Ibanez DFL is used by Tom Morello, nice middle ground between MXR and Electro Harmonix.

For the Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress tone, the Hartman Flanger is REALLY good, I like it a lot for Gilmour type usage. Also, I replaced my vintage MXR with an EVH. (Got it for the same price as a standard) it's almost as good, but can be powered off an 18V Pedal Power and the switch is more reliable.

Leave a comment:

• Liam1963
    replied

I have a BOSS BF-3 I picked up a while ago, use it very rarely, and when I do, I use for a subtle effect.

Leave a comment:

• Rand-O-Monium
    replied

Hit up a GC if there's one near you,usually their used pedals are pretty reasonable,& you'd get to try some out(if they have any)...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X