banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I did a naughty, fuzzy thing (germanium mojo tonez content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did a naughty, fuzzy thing (germanium mojo tonez content)

I've been jonesing for a fuzz for a while. I sold off my Analogman Sunface because it wasn't getting used, and I was down to only two fuzzes (a Basic Audio Tri/Ram Muff and a Trombetta Bone Machine - not nearly enough fuzz for me) so I decided to spring for something really cool. So when I found a good deal on one of these, I pounced. I present to you the lovely looking Arcane Analog NKT213!

Oh man, doesn't it look awesome? I just ****ing love that sloped, hammered enclosure. And look at the amazing wiring job on the inside! Tagboard for the win. And it's a really nice touch to have an on/off switch for the battery built into the volume (bias) knob, especially since it only runs on battery power.

Anyway, it's a clone of a Baldwin Burns Buzzaround - one of only 13 made due to using the apparently very difficult to source NKT213 transistor. You don't hear much talk about these if at all, because the originals were made only from 1966 to 1968 and in limited numbers, which means that most people don't even know they exist. But if it sounds anything like these other Buzzaround clones, I think I'll be very happy.

I'll definitely be making some clips soon.
    Last edited by Agileguy_101; 02-10-2016, 12:50 AM.
    Custom neck-thru strat
    1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
    1995 PRS CE24
    D'avanzo #8
    Breedlove Solo Concert
    1996 USA Dean Baby Z
    1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
    1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
    Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Re: I did a naughty, fuzzy thing (germanium mojo tonez content)

That is some gorgeous wiring!! Can't wait to hear some clips!

Comment

So the Arcane NKT213 came in a day early - joy of joys! I played it with a bunch of different guitars into my Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum on the clean channel.

HOLY. ****. This thing is amazing. Even though I probably played this thing for a few hours, I'm not going to try to do a full review of it because A) I didn't play it loud enough to really let it open up, and B) I'm going to shoot for making some clips tomorrow.

For now, I'll say that it has some muff-ish characteristics - mainly the overall level of gain and how huge it can sound. But it's a different kind of huge from a big muff. It doesn't have the booming low end of a triangle muff - it's more lean, like a ram's head muff. It's got way more mids than any stock big muff, and the mids are just ripping. And the top end isn't smooth like a muff - it's not overly bright, but it's got an amazing clarity that lets chords shine through in a way that many other fuzzes can't manage.

Hopefully I'll get to make some clips tomorrow - I also want to compare it to the other fuzzes I have on hand, so that should give a good idea of what this fuzz is capable and where it sits in the world of fuzz.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Cool man!
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
        X