noise gate for metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noise gate for metal?

there might already be a thread for this, sorry if there is one. i play mainly thrash metal. i run a charvel with emgs into a solid state randall rg head.

what noise gate would be the best for me? i know the boss ns2 is a classic, my friend loves his mxr gate, and im really interested in the tc electronics sentry and randall bloq. isp decimator is too far out of my budget.

thanks!
    Epiphone Explorer w/ SD Distortions
    Charvel Desolation Soloist w/ EMG 81/85
    Squier Standard HH Strat

Re: noise gate for metal?

TC Electronic Sentry seems to be the new hotness.
    Nope...

Comment

ISP Decimator.
      Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
      Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
      Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
      Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
      Line 6 Helix
      Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

youre best to save your pennies for an isp decimator nothing else even comes close.

Comment

Originally posted by BX8a
          Noise gate only locks out the noise when the guitar is not played. As soon as your guitar strings' get struck, the gate opens and the noise comes back in. For that kind of task, just roll off your volume knob.
          You clearly don't play in live, high gain situations. Although I am very well versed in slamming the volume down on my guitar, my noise gate still helps a ton in certain situations/ passages.

My NS-2 has lasted me 8+ years now, and you can daisy chain off them. Tried a decimator, and for my rig, it did nothing more or less than the NS-2.
          TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

TBH, I think the ISP Decimator is big-time overrated. I bought mine because of the whole "ISP OR DIE" hype. Granted, I bought an old 1st gen., but it's nothing special. It's a just a ****ing noise gate.

The ISP is not perfect. It does not have the loop thingy like the Boss or the MXR Noise Clamp, and it may not change the tone radically, but it's definitely not 100% transparent. It's not true bypass either.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good pedal, but I wish I would've gotten the MXR Noise clamp to save some money.
            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-11-2016, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
              TBH, I think the ISP Decimator is big-time overrated. I bought mine because of the whole "ISP OR DIE" hype. Granted, I bought an old 1st gen., but it's nothing special. It's a just a ****ing noise gate.

The ISP is not perfect. It does not have the loop thingy like the Boss or the MXR Noise Clamp, and it may not change the tone radically, but it's definitely not 100% transparent. It's not true bypass either.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good pedal, but I wish I would've gotten the MXR Noise clamp to save some money.
              I'll agree with this. I like my isp. I got it on a trade cause it needed some minor work so I only have like $6 in it so I'm super happy with what it does for me. I play passive high output pups into a jet city 50 run pretty hot so it's noisy. It mostly just chokes down background noise when not playing. I'm ok with that but it's far from perfect. In the past (on a different amp) I used two hush pedals: one in front just for feedback control and rf noise and one in the loop for the high gain tube noise. That worked really well because I could set them differently. Gave me the most effectiveness and transparency.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

Depends where the "Noise" is coming from, your amp or your guitar, which will determine where it goes in the signal. I have had my 6505+ head modded so the lead channel is now silent so there's no pre-amp noise. I use an ISP G-string version with a loop in the pedal to tame the noise from the guitar as I have a tubescreamer kicked on the dirty channel. Stop and pauses are tighter, and there's no other noise!

Comment

thanks for all the suggestions guys. i'm going down to guitar center this weekend to try some out
                  Squier Standard HH Strat

Comment

those old boss ones (NF-1) still work great.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

You should at least try the ISP. I run it with a gain peddle into a triple rec, mess with the position in your chain. It's good kit.

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                        TC Electronic Sentry seems to be the new hotness.
                        i bet my ass it's gotta be the best noise gate righ now, i say scott ian seems to love his and he blasts an insane amount of gain at deafening volume levels so it should be quick enough and dynamic to differentiate actual guitar signal from noise at those volume and gain levels
                        Last edited by EDX; 02-21-2016, 09:08 PM.

Comment

i ended up going with the boss ns2. i couldn't hear a difference between them honestly, and the boss was the cheapest. thanks for the help guys
                          Squier Standard HH Strat

Comment

lol i have a berhinger NR300 wich people say it's just as good as the Boss NS2 but i don't really feel it as since i use it i have more ground noise but at least i can shut down my sound when i'm not playing.... well almost as even when the gate is supposedly engaged i can stil play through it with a nice output without the red led turning off, maybe i must dissensamble the thing and try to fix it

Comment

Working...
                            X