Single Noise Gate Pedal To Kill BOTH FX Loop AND Amp Noise at a Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Noise Gate Pedal To Kill BOTH FX Loop AND Amp Noise at a Time

As far as I understand MXR Smart Gate and MXR Noise Clamp are either for amp or FX Loop.

I want a single noise gate pedal which kill both amp noise and FX Loop noise. Is there a noise gate to do that?

Re: Single Noise Gate Pedal To Kill BOTH FX Loop AND Amp Noise at a Time

ISP Decimator G-string is really good. Bit pricey but worth it. I use on in my chain, but that's for pedal noise, I've had the lead channel modded on my amp head to make it silent so I don't need a gate for that. Less leads and quicker set up.

Comment

G-String looks like the best option.

But It has 4 jack input. Probably there will be mess of long cables.

Comment

That's cos there's two ways you can use the pedal, in the FX loop or use the loop of the pedal (which is how I use mine).

If you're going to run it in the FX loop it'll silence the pre-amp noise anyway (I used to use mine this way before mine was modded).

Comment

Actually when you use the other pedals (MXR Smart Gate and MXR Noise Clamp) in the FX Loop (at the end of the loop) they should kill the noises which originate from both FX Loop and preamp. Shouldn't they?

(Because they kill the noises which originate from the things before them. S,o preamp is before the FX Loop)

Comment

Yeah before the amp, so you'd need 2 noisegates. That was what I originally had to do to curb pedal noise but I thought it'd make it easier to just mod the amp and have one gate. Much easier and makes setting up quicker. Not to mention less cables and things to go wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by DeadandBuried View Post
              Yeah before the amp, so you'd need 2 noisegates. That was what I originally had to do to curb pedal noise but I thought it'd make it easier to just mod the amp and have one gate. Much easier and makes setting up quicker. Not to mention less cables and things to go wrong!
              Sorry, I meant either of them. (Smart Gate or Noise Clamp)

Comment

Yeah as long as they have a send and return input in the pedal.

Comment

That's correct, assuming you are running all of your fx in the loop ... some sound better in front of the amp, which will drive up preamp noise. My Empress Heavy has a gate, which acts brilliantly. It really tames the oceanside noise levels!
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Boss NS-2 does both....1 pedal.

Comment

Then BOSS may be alright. Because there are huge price difference between BOSS and ISP.

I've watched the reviews. BOSS doesn't look like bad at all.

Besides It's said that noise clamp doesn't kill some amount of hiss and there may be problems at transition between distortion to clean.

Comment

I have an NS-2 too and I think its the X-formation where you hook it up. And yeah you can experience issues when switching channels, hence why I forked out the extra for the ISP. Much better at doing what its meant to do without messing up your guitar sound.

Comment

I generally do not use noise gates as I'll find other ways to control extraneous noise in my rig.

That being said, the ISP Noise suppressors are the only ones I'd ever consider using on a regular basis. They're very fast and very transparent.

Comment

Electro Harmonix Silencer works very well
                            sigpic"Praise HIM with the Strings" Psalms 150:4

Comment

Originally posted by DeadandBuried View Post
                              ISP Decimator G-string is really good. Bit pricey but worth it. I use on in my chain, but that's for pedal noise, I've had the lead channel modded on my amp head to make it silent so I don't need a gate for that. Less leads and quicker set up.
                              I think you use it wrong. I've heard that single ISP Decimator G String can kill both the noise in FX Loop and the amp.

Am I wrong?

Can ISP Decimator G String I do it like the G String II?

(I don't want to pay extra money for G String II if I can do that.)
                              Last edited by zanshin777; 06-02-2016, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X