Clear All

• Whats a cool and usable effect?

I have : (corrected list!!!)
    main board
    Chorus :
    TUNER (must have!!) pitchblack
    10 band EQ (mxr)
    Chorus ce-5
    Delay (digitech dl-8 and carbon copy) ** forgot to list delays in my orig post.. Sorry
    Reverb (holy grail nano)
    WAH (jerry cantrell) have a vox and bad horsie not in use
    Dirt pedals (ocd and green rhino) have several others around the crib
    Noise Suppresor (ns-2)

color board
    Phase (mxr phase 90) other phase pedals around here
    Flanger (mxr and A/DA) other ones round here
    Tremolo (dunlop TS-1?)
    Octave (OC-2)

I believe I have most of the basics for pedals covered. I know there are a million pedals out there, many are diff versions of the ones I have,,, But... Im just wondering if there are any other pedals out there that are commonly used that would be considered a "must have" ? Im not talking something obscure that makes some weird sound that may have only ever been used in one obscure song. Please let me know what it is, what it does and maybe a song in which it was used. Im tying to complete my pedal boards. I have space for one more pedal on my board.. One pedal that comes to mind just now is a talk box. Others? Thanks!!
    Last edited by BloodRose; 03-01-2016, 08:04 AM.
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Whats a cool and usable effect?

Just thought of another one that seems popular, but I have no experience with.. a Compressor. Whats the purpose of it? How is it used? What is a good one?? Thanks
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

All that, and no clean boost or treble boost!
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Delay

Comment

Compressor and delay seem to be missing here.
          Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
            Just thought of another one that seems popular, but I have no experience with.. a Compressor. Whats the purpose of it? How is it used? What is a good one?? Thanks
            Hi...delay and compressor are the two things you don't list on your fx. Of these two, compressor is critical. A compressor will give you extra sustain and articulation...this is done by making quiet parts louder and WAY loud moments quieter, thus evening the average dynamics to an overall louder and clearer performance. The standard of compressors is the MXR dynacomp. For a more "modern" sound the Keeley 4 knob compressor adds a "blend" knob which allows you to mix your original signal with the compressed signal. A more subtle approach, allowing for better overall dynamics. The TC Electronics Hypergravity also gives you a blend knob.
            I have my compressor on approximately 60% of the time...It imparts a silky feel that is hard to describe but gives you an extra millisecond of time to think about where you want to go next in a solo.
            I love delay too but if you only get one pedal, add a compressor.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Delay is conspicuously absent.

Also, never underestimate the value of a good Uni-vibe type OR a rotary speaker type effect.

Comment

Whammy, Volume, EHX Synth pedals, are a few that come to mind

Comment

Fuzz.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Delay/Swell can be very cool–gets an eerie reverse effect on the guitar

Comment

OOPs!! Was late when I posted and I didnt have my list with me.. I DO have delay covered in spades!! Very Sorry.. I knew something didnt look right on my list.. I have a Carbon Copy and a digitech dl8 on the board.

Im going to update my first post.. sorry

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                        Also, never underestimate the value of a good Uni-vibe type OR a rotary speaker type effect.
                        Exactly what I was going to say. I'm dying for one right now.
                        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Thanks for the input so far!! Ive thought before about a compresser, but didnt know that it would see much use.. Im really not familiar with how they work..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I like wah and many favors of dirt (OD, distortion, fuzz), but not really much else. I can take or leave delay, use amp 'verb, phasers are ok... Chorus and flange are pretty gross, though.

Currently, I run a Crybaby into a Green Rhino and Little Big Muff.
                            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                              Thanks for the input so far!! Ive thought before about a compresser, but didnt know that it would see much use.. Im really not familiar with how they work..
                              They are subtle but awesome!

EDIT: Here is a thread about them

Comment

Working...
                              X