• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stacking ODs?

Sure someone's doing it,what into what?

What style(s)?
    Need pretty Heavy.

Gotta use teh Marshall combo Sat pm,MIDI boards are all on the blink so no rack...
    Trying to maximize channels(3)/toanz,have a Boss SD-1 & an MXR ZW-thingie(older model).

Won't have time to mess w/it until tomorrow,so any suggestions?

Thx
    "Scalloped & Stickered"
    A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Re: Stacking ODs?

I use a Fender Amp. Three gain pedals, Fuzz Face, Fulldrive 2 (gain low, boost at max) and Wampler Pinnacle (gain at mid).

Stacking a combo of the three gives me a wide range of tones.
    -Clean Fender
    -Slight FD breakup
    -FD with boost (higher gain TS)
    -Pinnacle for mid-gain Marshally tone
    -Pinnacle with FD2 for boosted Marshall
    -Fuzz Face into FD2 for fuzz fun

This video kind of inspired me to stack with the Pinnacle:
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

For your purposes, I'd set the SD-1 to low gain and high volume, and the ZW-44 set to mid gain and mid/high volume. Between those and the three Amp channels you'll have a ton tones available.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I like the OCD into a Timmy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, cleanish OD into mid-gain distortion into multiple-gain amp channels gives you best range of tones.

Comment

I have essentially four drives on my board. The Rockett Designs Blue Note is almost always on and it feeds into either my Wampler Dual Fusion or SLOstortion. The SLOstortion gets pretty heavy on its own (I only run it about 1/4 to 1/3 on the gain knob with the switch set to Overdrive instead of Crunch), I run it for when we do Kutless covers. The right channel of the dual fusion gets less saturated, but it can be pretty dark sounding with humbuckers. Feeding them with the Blue Note with the gain about half way adds a little saturation to the dual fusion and helps brighten it and the SLO a little. Everything is run into a Marshall JTM style amp.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              For your purposes, I'd set the SD-1 to low gain and high volume, and the ZW-44 set to mid gain and mid/high volume. Between those and the three Amp channels you'll have a ton tones available.
              I would definitely try this. Also try the other way around with the ZW-44 at low gain and mid to high volume and SD-1 with a mid gain sound. Play with pedal order too, it can make a huge difference. The pedal closest to the amp will be the more dominant character.

Comment

I've been stacking lots lately. Favorite combo as of late is a Son Of Hyde at mid gain and volume slightly above unity with the bright switch off into an Open Road with low/mid gain and a slight volume boost... If I want it really thickened up, I'll feed this into a Boosta Grande clean boost turned up just enough to where you start hearing the tone getting fatter.

On their own, the boost gives a slightly dirty tone, the Open Road does a good crunch and the Son of Hyde a good hard rock rhythm tone. I run all 3 together with a graphic EQ set for a very slight mid scoop on the high mids and slight boost to low mids to get a metal tone. For my metal lead tone, just turn off the EQ to get the mids back.

Sometimes I like to substitute a Boss OD-2 Turbo Overdrive for the Son of Hyde, especially with darker sounding guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
                  Gotta use teh Marshall combo Sat pm . . .
                  Where ya playin'?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    Where ya playin'?
                    Biker Bar in Arlington...
                    "Scalloped & Stickered"

Comment

a 3 channel marshall amp and either one of those two drive pedals should do the job nicely.
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Thinking/hoping so,waiting for everyone to leave so I can start putzin'!!!
                        "Scalloped & Stickered"

Comment

I've never tried it, as usually I can find a sound I like with one. I start to get option anxiety after that.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Could be the case,will know more in a bit.

Same amp as Aceman's,too,gotta go for that "great live sound/tone thingie"!!!
                            Most likely running thru a Boogie 2x12 for the show!

edit:
                            FWIW,just running the ODs,will swap 'em around & all that.
                            Used to more of a Stereo Boogie kinda tone from the rack,def gonna be an adjustment.
                            Figured get the tones first,only other fx are Ch & Dly to be added after the Science Project...

Wish me Luck.
                            Last edited by Rand-O-Monium; 03-25-2016, 10:36 AM.
                            "Scalloped & Stickered"

Comment

So far so good...

SD-1 is doing most of the heavy lifting,MXR is turned up w/hardly any gain,but gives a nice "knock" when kicked in.Works well w/Cln as well !!!

Gotta write everything down-ish for ref,drummer plays loud.

Few good tones happening,tho,Yay!!!
                              "Scalloped & Stickered"

Comment

Working...
                              X