Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which EHX overdrive?

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
    Alrighty then, that narrows it down to two. No wet fart sounds for me!

Well, only in the bath tub...
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      If you are running the crunch channel, have you tried pulling the treble knob out?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
      Ugh. I absolutely hate what that does to the otherwise lovely crunch of my amp! I am hoping to add gain and sustain without losing the character of the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
        Ugh. I absolutely hate what that does to the otherwise lovely crunch of my amp! I am hoping to add gain and sustain without losing the character of the amp.
        Based on this, I say look into an LPB-1 also. That's exactly what it's supposed to do. It's a clean boost so the only dirt to be had is from the amp itself receiving a hotter signal and it boosts all frequencies, not just the mids or treble.

Of course, where you are trying to cut through the mix and stand out from another guitarist, a pedal with a mid bump might work to your advantage, although I don't find they preserve the sound of the amp. If you go this route I suggest keeping the gain knob low and crank the volume so it's more of a clean boost with a mid bump.

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
          The soulfood is a klon which is best with single coils . . .
          I don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but I love my Soulfood with Slash AII Pro's. And since we're talking about EHX, the Nano Big Muff PI is like the Soulfood squared. Suweet!

Comment

I tried an LPB-1 yesterday at a local shop. Didn't care for it. Boosts the low end too much relative to other frequencies, which did something odd that my ears don't like into distortion. If I played clean or lightly breaking I'd love it. The guy helping me loved it (I don't think he'd ever heard one used?) and it was nice for chords but it did something odd to single notes that I didn't care for.

They did not have a Soul Food in stock for me to try but they should be able to get one in soon.

Comment

Yes, that's the negative of a full frequency boost, the lows can overload the input for some interesting results. The mid hump of the tube screamer (and lesser mid hump of some other ODs) helps to avoid that by rolling off bass.

You'll find one that just smokes with your guitar and amp.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

If it's gotta be EXH, I'd check out the Crayon if your dealer has one. Can be used as a clean or colored boost or an OD but has bass and treble eq which have pretty good range. Having both bass and treble controls makes it worth a look as a boost if you can audition one.

Comment

Has anyone determined what the Crayon is? Is it a BB Preamp style pedal?
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I had not considered the Crayon. I'll give it a try, despite the goofy name.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                      Has anyone determined what the Crayon is? Is it a BB Preamp style pedal?
                      From what I have gathered, not an exact clone of the BB, but close. I've never played through an Xotic BB. And, I don't own a Crayon but I've played around with one for a little while. Wouldn't be my choice to use as an OD into an amp already providing it's own dirt, but as a boost or with modest settings of the gain knob, I liked it. The EQ is pretty effective.

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
                        yeah the new hot tubes sound like a wet fart. nowhere near as nice as the sul food or the east river drive.
                        That's inaccurate...
                        The nano Hot Tubes is brilliant.. Tele, peavey classic 410.. Heaven! All the EHX pedals are good some are great (including the nano HT)
                        This question was well answered.. The East River probably was the answer.. But Glove, Soul food, ERD,
                        Even the crayon.. Get awesome tones.. The Big Muff are a brand and there's a half dozen iterations of it.. Different discussion different device.. This was an OD question.. You could own all of these for under 200.00.. That's the beauty of the American Made EHX line.. And they last.. I swear by them and I am a touring working guitarist..

Comment

I harp about this all the time, but it's true:

A good EQ pedal is an excellent choice to boost the front end of an amp; you can shape it and drive things.

Especially if you don't need to add any clipping texture that the typical distortion/OD stomp gives.

Cut the lows so the amp doesn't mush out. Boost the mids for solos. etc...

Comment

Working...
                          X