Boss OD-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss OD-3

So, I recently picked up a used OD-3 on de' bay, have to say I'm impressed. I was planning on doing some mods to it, but not sure if I will. It has a harder edge than my modded SD-1 or a TS style pedal and is fatter but it's a broader "fat" than the mid hump in a TS, it currently has the OD spot on my board. Looking at the schematic online, it isn't a typical TS/SD type OD circuit, it's more of a Blues Driver circuit, but smoother.

It seems to be a very overlooked pedal, any one else on here use one?

I recommend giving one a try if you never have, especially if come across a used one for cheap.

Re: Boss OD-3

The OD3 is a great pedal. I don't use mine for gigs much but I'll never get rid of it. If I ever have to use an unfamiliar backline the OD3 is a must. Set whatever amp to the best crunch sound you can get and let the OD3 do the rest. I rehearsed for a few years at a place that provided various Marshalls - DSL, Jubilee, 800, 900 etc. I didn't like the 'lead' channels on any of them and got much better results setting the clean channel to crunch and using the OD3 for leads. I also have a Blackstar 'Pure Valve' Drive pedal that isn't a patch on the OD3 and cost twice as much.

Comment

I think this is their best sounding overdrive pedal. I like it better than the SOD and BD. I just wish it was troobiepass. (Yeah yeah..I know...)
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I keep thinking about this pedal. Don't have an SD-1 now - but might skip it for the OD3
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          I keep thinking about this pedal. Don't have an SD-1 now - but might skip it for the OD3
          It's definitely worth checking out, it's a different flavor than the SD-1 for sure, it has 3 sets of clipping/limiting diodes going to ground (or V+) instead of in the feedback loop of the opamp as in the TS or SD so it's kind of in between a distortion and an overdrive (as is the Klon(e), OCD, and a few others). You can find them used for ~$50 on reverb or ebay, definitely wouldn't hurt to have one around.

Comment

I love the different Boss flavors, but wonder what the difference is between the whole SD-1, DS-1, BD-2, OD-3, etc. pedals are. Is it just an input/output cap change? A simple resistor dependent gain change? I have the former 3, (the Blues Driver has the Monte Allums mod), but now I'd love to hear that OD-3.

Man, it would be fun to get together sometime and do a Boss pedal shoot-out.

Comment

I don't have an OD3 but have a Japanese built Turbo Overdrive (OD-2). Hearing the OD-3 is a fatter type OD, I may look into it. I like the OD-2 because it is a bit brighter than a TS and when stacked with a warmer overdrive I use for crunch I get really fat sounding lead tone with enough treble to cut through.

Funny though, from reviews most people prefer the OD-2 with the turbo mode on (most likely because it can get a bit louder for boosting) but I prefer it in normal mode with the level dimed and the gain at about 10 -11 o'clock. But then, most of these people are probably not stacking it with another OD. Just the change in tone gives enough cut that I don't need the extra volume so much.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                I love the different Boss flavors, but wonder what the difference is between the whole SD-1, DS-1, BD-2, OD-3, etc. pedals are. Is it just an input/output cap change? A simple resistor dependent gain change? I have the former 3, (the Blues Driver has the Monte Allums mod), but now I'd love to hear that OD-3.

Unlike a lot of the boutique pedals that are cap and diode changes, each Boss pedal is a truely unique circuit. (As far as a guitar pedal can be a unique circuit, they all amplify then clip a signal).

I was curious and looked up the schematic of the OD-3, definitely unique compared to the other three. I agree, I'd love to do a shootout. In fact, a shootout of modded Boss drives would be pretty cool. In fact, every so often I get the urge to build an all-Boss board.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                  Unlike a lot of the boutique pedals that are cap and diode changes, each Boss pedal is a truely unique circuit. (As far as a guitar pedal can be a unique circuit, they all amplify then clip a signal).

I was curious and looked up the schematic of the OD-3, definitely unique compared to the other three. I agree, I'd love to do a shootout. In fact, a shootout of modded Boss drives would be pretty cool. In fact, every so often I get the urge to build an all-Boss board.
                  Yes, they are all very different, that's why I wanted to try the OD-3 and was pleasantly surprised. The OD-3 and SD-1 are nothing alike, the SD-1 is basically an asymmetrical Tube Screamer type circuit, the OD-3 is a much more complex circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    every so often I get the urge to build an all-Boss board.
                    Been there done that.
                    While i like boss pedals genrally and have no problem with buffered/vs true bypass, when you get 8 of them in a line you really do notice things going missing in your clean sound.
                    Each of the buffers, while barely noticeable on their own add up, and some sound different to others. For example you only lose like 1% signal loss with the sd-1, but the complex pedals like chorus and phaser take a little more (dont ask me my but I can definitely notice it). After going through a longish chain like that, it really feels like you have rolled back your tone knob (or your volume back to 9).
                    Anyways, to cut a long story short...one or maybe two buffers in the chain is all good, but a whole series of them i can really hear and feel the difference.
                    My current board has an old CS2 at the start and a new Boss Waza Analog delay at the end with some TB stuff in the middle. Works good.
                    If i was to have more than two boss pedals in the chain (ie at the start and at the end) i would probably install a bunch of these in the pedals in the middle:
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

IF I am correct…

SD-1 = Basic overdrive. Clean boost to mild-moderate breakup
                      BD-2 = Slightly less than clean to moderate overdrive, and fatter tone in general than SD-1
                      OD-3 = From what I understand - clean boost to mild distortion
                      DS-1 = Moderate breakup to full on distortion
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Also, SD-1 has a mid hump, BD-2 has a lesser mid hump and the DS-1 has the scooped Big Muff PI tone stack, along with the hard clipping diodes.

How is the EQ curve of the OD-3? Mid hump or flatter?
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I've heard the BD-2 can get to the edge of fuzz too, but I haven't tried one.

Comment

Hmmm . . . looks like there's another Boss pedal in my future.

Comment

Just went and looked up the OD-2R schematic, asymmetrical clipping in a feedback loop and all discrete components, no opamps, definitely interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X