Accidental NPD: EHX Crayon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidental NPD: EHX Crayon

On a trip home to visit my folks and my grandma, I decided to stop into my childhood guitar shop and chat with one of the guys there and show off my new amp (and try to convince him to carry them in the shop).

As we were talking about pedals, I mentioned that I had recently purchased an Archer, and he told me I needed to try out the EHX Crayon, so I plugged it in and ended up buying it.

They market it as a transparent, full range overdrive, which isn't super far off. It's not as transparent as the Archer, but it's very smooth and definitely very well rounded. It's not super touch sensitive, but it did respond OK to volume knob manipulation and picking dynamics. That's not what I see as its strong point, though. It actually reminds me of a lower gain OCD, honestly.

I can't wait to get it home tomorrow and really crank it. I'll try to record a clip or two on Sunday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VZM.IMG_20160513_202728.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	5840864
    Go Packers!

Re: Accidental NPD: EHX Crayon

Interesting graphics. Waiting for clips with bated breath.

Comment

So what is different about it? I am not sure what a 'full range overdrive' is.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Accidental. Oops.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          So what is different about it? I am not sure what a 'full range overdrive' is.
          I think it means that it is balanced across the EQ spectrum. The Bass and Treble controls cut and boost, so that might be part of it.
          Go Packers!

Comment

So, no mid hump? Or is it just that the EQ is 'balanced' in that it is active?

Comment

BB Preamp clone

Comment

So, no mid hump? Or is it just that the EQ is 'balanced' in that it is active?
                No mid hump unless you cut the bass and treble. When I keep the b/t knobs at 12:00, it doesn't feel like it's accentuating any specific range, just upping the gain and compression.

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                BB Preamp clone
                I actually tried it next to the BB at the shop and they definitely did different things to my ears. The Crayon felt like it had lower gain, more compression, and less responsiveness. After playing around with it some more it actually feels like an AC Booster, but with a narrower range of gain available.

I didn't have a chance to record anything yesterday, but I'm hoping to get something put up on Wednesday or Thursday.
                Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
                  I actually tried it next to the BB at the shop and they definitely did different things to my ears. The Crayon felt like it had lower gain, more compression, and less responsiveness. After playing around with it some more it actually feels like an AC Booster, but with a narrower range of gain available.
                  Good to know, so "Xotic style" would be more accurate. Seems like I came across it in some DIY forum and someone had traced it out and said it was a BB, but I did read it on the interwebz so... That said, it's still an interesting pedal to me based on the videos I've seen, just haven't gotten a chance to try one out.

Comment

It could be a tweak BB for sure, but it was enough different that I'd lean toward it being something else. I've read people who think it's a Colordriver (which I've never heard of) or a tweaked Klon circuit.

I don't know what it is, but I know I like it!
                    Go Packers!

Comment

Whatever it is, I really like the demos I've seen of it. The Glove sounds nice too. I'm trying (again) to move to digital, but I'll probably have an analog OD box in there somewhere.

Isn't the Soul Food their take on the Klon? Can't imagine they would do 2. Of course, there are so many ODs out there and most are just variations on 1 or 2 themes, so... In the end, it if sounds good, heck yeah!
                      Last edited by devastone; 05-17-2016, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Are they just looking around the room when naming these?

Comment

First thing that popped in their head!
                          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

With all the people making pedals now, finding a name that isn't trademarked is apparently rather challenging. Then, EHX and JHS both release a "Crayon" pedal, almost on the same day! Uncanny.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                              Whatever it is, I really like the demos I've seen of it. The Glove sounds nice too. I'm trying (again) to move to digital, but I'll probably have an analog OD box in there somewhere.

Isn't the Soul Food their take on the Klon? Can't imagine they would do 2. Of course, there are so many ODs out there and most are just variations on 1 or 2 themes, so... In the end, it if sounds good, heck yeah!
                              The Soul Food is the Klone. I don't hear the similarities to a Klon, it's no where near as responsive, but apparently someone did.

I'm starting to think it's a more or less "original" design that took inspiration for other active EQ overdrive pedals.
                              Go Packers!

Comment

Working...
                              X