Low gain'ish od proto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low gain'ish od proto

Well summertime is always abit on the slow side work related.
    So that last couple of weeks I have been tweaking away on this overdrive project.
    Ever since we made the DC Drive in the CM days, I have been wanting to make another version that was more flexible and not nearly as gainy.

From the get go the DC had a "rectified" diode clip setup, and internal voltage doubler.
    The last thing I need to get done is make the boost pre and post switchable.
    That I will do tommorow I hope.

Have long tried to get that overly stiff feel out of the traditional opamp diode clip, so I added an outboard trim for that, also added an outboard trim for how much smack the chip should get, a balance knob between boosted chip or more balanced trim between the op amp and clippers.
    It also has a switch for two different kind of diodes in the rectified clip setup, one is louder and more clean'ish, the other more driven and has a sweet grain to it.

Tested it on several amps and such today(clips will come later)
    When the boost mod is complete I belive I have a complete prototype done.

Now I just need a name for that thing, and some more tests, and a few extra ears and such....

Re: Low gain'ish od proto

I think you should name it "the gainstage"
    Last edited by Chickenwings; 06-24-2016, 03:07 AM.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

looks great! looking forward to hearing it

Comment

Can't wait to hear it!
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

SWEEEEET!!!!

Comment

Call it the Sexitone! [emoji38]

Sent from my TARDIS using timey-wimey talk.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Haha...

Comment

Just a run through a few different seetings on the fly...I am not going to talk about it.....uhm erm duh doh blah blah drive....blah transparent blah blah morganic, eebeer neebeer fnyt fnyt fluid blah blah crunchy....well you get the point...
                As said just using a 50 watts combo with a Celestion Neo Century Vintage speaker, EL-34 tubes...I call it the HiShall amp....
                First track...with Tele.

Second track, Ibanez 540 Radius with two L-90 Wilde humbuckers(close to PAF, but has more clarity and such blah blah)

I'll record some more later on...just threw these to up in a hurry....I am getting my daughter home from boarding school today!

Comment

And with backing track, and the Dead Dog dirty drive when I switch to the bridge pu later in the tune...and back to Lo gainer at the end.
                  Recorded at low volume.

And the second with my Tele...
                  Also at low volume.
                  Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 06-27-2016, 02:58 AM.

Comment

cool. look forward to checking them out when i get home

Comment

Sweet clips/jams...that Tele tone is otherworldly ...just nuts ..INSANE hhaa! ...& ...I guess the hummer's don't really sound too bad either

Man...you dial in some of the sweetest tones ever ...no matter the equipment/guitar
                      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Thanks
                        Well I love that Tele, always easy to get some working sounds out of it.
                        Glad you enjoy them
                        Now I just need to make a few more tests, and the next prototype will be rehoused into something square.

Comment

Low gain you say ? Hehe, that's about as much gain as I ever use ... I think if you can exploit good clean tones (valve), and the guitar properly, the smallest amount of 'hair' can go a very long way, and can sound massive. So I'm always interested in stuff like this.

I like it a lot, it sounds great. I probably would have liked to hear a bit more chord work, as to my ear, that's where things can start to sound nasty quite quickly, but these clips sound really good, right in the area where I get interested. Where can I buy one, and how much ?
                          Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Well the interaction is working here, it can do less than I recorded as well...I like that almost not clipping sound that works well with a good sounding amp....this pedal I could not have made 10 years ago haha
                            I'll record some more with chords
                            Yep we can make a one/off for you...as I am not quite done with it, I still have not gotten around making the boost post or pre selected...

Right now it is a buffered pedal, if you want it more straight ahead we can make it religious bypass as well
                            Then we can use a few parts less.
                            I'll calculate around some...see what we can do

Comment

I'd probably need it to be buffered as I only use two pedals, and one is a delay that usually goes in an effects loop. The only pedal I have on the floor is usually my 35-y-o, much modified Boss SD-1, but I accidentally killed it with reverse polarity. I had thought about looking into the new SD1w, but I like the sound of this much better.
                              Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Working...
                              X