Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Please tell me about your favourite transparent overdrive

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
    Do you have any sound clips, or links to videos, demonstrating it as a transparent OD?
    Sorry. I don't. I don't have anything decent to record it on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I've had a Timmy for 3 months now and I'm still experimenting with it. It's great as a clean boost in the way Jeremy described. I've also used it with a bit of grit to moderate gain stacked with other pedals like an Open Road (this one isn't transparent but doesn't have the mid bump of a TS. It's got a very warm and amp-like character. I find it sounds best with the gain at or below 12 o'clock) or Son of Hyde when I wanted to add I bit more hair to their sounds. It pairs well with TS style pedals too.

I really like using as a boost so far. This or low gain dirt seems to be where the Timmy really shines. Put it before another gain pedal as a boost to push the pedal harder or if you just want more of the same sound pushing your amp harder, put it after.

As for the tone controls, every time I have it on my board I start with them all the way down (full frequency range), set my amp volume and tone to how I want it, then engage the Timmy and set its gain and volume. Then once I've achieved the desired overall volume and gain if the tone is too shrill on the high end or flubby on the bottom, I turn up the bass/treble cut until the high end is no longer shrill and the bass is nice and full but tight.

Comment

Thanks for the insights, ThisDyingSoul76.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

In hindsight, the part in brackets behind the Open Road almost reads as if I'm referring to the Timmy...the Open Road is the one that is not transparent, but it affects the tone very well.

The Timmy on the other hand is as transparent as you can get.

Comment

Not transparent overdrives... but wanted to make two points about "clean and character boosts":

This:

Click image for larger version

Name:	FTrilogy600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	5793806

-and-

This:

Click image for larger version

Name:	F1011600.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	5793807

Badger Effects

Comment

A wide open volume control

Comment

That is as good of a clip of the archer as I have at the moment. I start with nothing but amp drive, then turn on the Archer, then the EXH Crayon, then back to just the Archer, and finally just the amp. It's not much, but it should give you an idea of how transparent it is on an amp that's set to break up a bit.
                Go Packers!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post

That is as good of a clip of the archer as I have at the moment. I start with nothing but amp drive, then turn on the Archer, then the EXH Crayon, then back to just the Archer, and finally just the amp. It's not much, but it should give you an idea of how transparent it is on an amp that's set to break up a bit.
                  Ah, excellent clip, thanks! The Crayon adds a noticeable colouration compared to the Archer.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                    Badger Effects
                    Those look super nice, but ... what do they add to the party that the six boosts I already own do not already cover?

Comment

Brother Ben, check out this vid from Mick and Daniel. I came across it last night. Alot of folks know Mick from Guitarist, but Daniel is such a deep-well knowledgeable tech and a genius with pedal systems and pedals in general.
                      They concluded exactly what I would have expected (or at least what my own experiences have been like). Klon circuits just aren't transparent or clean they have a strong mid hump but that is really why we like em. Timmy is about the most transparent drive for natural transparency. But what I dig most is both Daniel and Mick are unbiased gear heads with good ears for tone! For myself, this is good stuff to sit and watch when you just want to run scales. Cheers, RG

Last edited by Rodney Gene; 07-30-2016, 07:55 AM.
                      Rodney Gene Junior - My Artist Page And Gear Affiliations Austin Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Gene View Post
                        Brother Ben, check out this vid from Mick and Daniel.
                        Thanks!

Comment

Those look super nice, but ... what do they add to the party that the six boosts I already own do not already cover?
                          One is a stunning recreation of an Echoplex preamp (the real circuit, not some half-assed attempt like Dunlop's, etc).

The other is a stunning recreation of an AIWA 1011 tape deck preamp as used by Ritchie Blackmore.

Comment

Ah, excellent clip, thanks! The Crayon adds a noticeable colouration compared to the Archer.
                            The middle one is with both pedals, I don't think I was clear about that. They Crayon definitely has a lot more coloration than just the Archer, and when stacked, it's a really fat lead tone. Until my name comes up on the KoT list (it's been on the list for just over a year), I doubt I'll remove either the Archer or Crayon from my board, or add any more ODs. Once the KoT arrives, I have a feeling it will end up replacing the Crayon.
                            Go Packers!

Comment

JHS Morning Glory is really nice. I haven't used it through a Princeton, but I have used it through a Bassman and a Twin Reverb with a Strat and a Tele to great success. I think the newest version even has an option for the red button switch, so you can toggle up to the next gain stage with a foot switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X