New Petrucci Wah Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Petrucci Wah Day

I haven't seen too many of these yet so I figured I'd write a short review.

That said, it's difficult to review this pedal as it doesn't have a specific sound. Petrucci's stock settings are super clear and cut through high gain with a lot of definition. I copied Hammet's settings off a picture of his rack wah and the pedal became relatively classic Vox with a good bite, then I copied Slash's settings and the pedal became super fat and growly, yet understated in a way that'll let you go a bit heavier on the wah without it being irritating.

Long story short... the pedal is more or less whatever you want it to be. It's worth the price for that feature.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is that the treadle on the Petrucci has extended range. They've raised the treadle itself slightly higher than a standard Cry Baby, so the heel can rock back around 10 degrees further than normal.

Lastly, the LEDs are bright blue and are easy to see while your foot is still on the wah as they light up everything around it.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Re: New Petrucci Wah Day

Nice!! as far as adjustability, how's it compare to a 535Q ?

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
      Nice!! as far as adjustability, how's it compare to a 535Q ?
      Significantly more versatile.

The JP doesn't give you the ability to switch filter ranges like on a 535Q, but the 6 band EQ gives a much bigger variance in terms of sound.

Comment

Wow, just read up on that unit. Very cool! Congrats!
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-08-05-15-55-51.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	5793854
          Holy **** it just COMES with an internal 6 band eq to shape the wah voicing.

Comment

I'm not much of a wah guy, as I hardly play lead, but this looks very tempting.

Comment

In all of the Peteucci wah reviews, I never read anything about Geoffrey Teese and his EqWahlyzer. This is basically Dunlop knocking him off. Actually, I think Teese gave Dunlop a massive kick in the pants to start making all these cool wahs.

EQ in a way is much more intuitive than the typical adjustments. (Especially since they are usually just pots in place of a resistor and some one says "this kind of adjusts the bass, lets mark it bass", but really they're all interactive controls)
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Must love my JC Wah.. Must not be tempted by another... Must not be swayed by trimpots and cool blue lights.....
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                  Must love my JC Wah.. Must not be tempted by another... Must not be swayed by trimpots and cool blue lights.....
                  +1

But then again ... It has a blue light!

Why aren't there any settings from the rack wah on the web? What would be the basic settings for a stock cry baby? It seems that would be a great starting point for messing around...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dahla View Post
                    Why aren't there any settings from the rack wah on the web? What would be the basic settings for a stock cry baby? It seems that would be a great starting point for messing around...
                    It would be nice. For now I've gone back to the stock Petrucci settings. It's not so much that I think they sound better, more that I want to figure out what I can learn from them. His settings aren't very classic sounding at all but they make it really obvious you're using a wah, and they do it with a lot of clarity and no piercing top end.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
                        Significantly more versatile.

The JP doesn't give you the ability to switch filter ranges like on a 535Q, but the 6 band EQ gives a much bigger variance in terms of sound.
                        Interesting. I like setting the filter range on my 535Q to the low side to get that Satriani-esque low end gulp, but I like the idea of being able to adjust EQ to make the wah pop or be more or less bright and such.

Comment

Working...
                        X