Fuzz Pedal - Iron Butterfly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuzz Pedal - Iron Butterfly

What make/model of fuzz did Erik Brann of Iron Butterfly use? He got some great tones with it, live and in the studio. Germanium or silicone?
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Re: Fuzz Pedal - Iron Butterfly

Fuzzrite, I think.

Comment

Buy Now: https://goo.gl/t2vAqhYou've just experienced the Catalinbread Fuzzrite. This classic two-transistor design defines the sound of the '60s, from nasty...

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
        What make/model of fuzz did Erik Brann of Iron Butterfly use? He got some great tones with it, live and in the studio. Germanium or silicone?
        Sounds silicon to me.

Comment

Thank you! Did a little looking after watching that video; Fuzzrite's silicone, nails that rich Mosrite fuzz sound that Erik Brann used so effectively.
          Last edited by blueman335; 08-10-2016, 09:34 PM.
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

If you're talking Inna Gadda Da Vida, I don't really think the recording quality due to the time period and budget constraints really tell what type of fuzz was used. To me, the song is more about feel and attitude vs gear. Just play loud and hard. Take any amp that wasn't meant to sound overdriven, and overdrive it by whatever means possible. You probably already have better gear than they did recording the song - it's a pretty lo-fi and harsh tone. If you already have a standard Fuzz face, you should be able to get there.
            Last edited by Myaccount876; 08-09-2016, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
              If you're talking Inna Gadda Da Vida, I don't really think the recording quality due to the time period and budget constraints really tell what type of fuzz was used. To me, the song is more about feel and attitude vs gear. Just play loud and hard. Take any amp that wasn't meant to sound overdriven, and overdrive it by whatever means possible. You probably already have better gear than they did recording the song - it's a pretty lo-fi and harsh tone. If you already have a standard Fuzz face, you should be able to get there.

They were the first band I saw live, in Atlanta in 1968. I remember very little of it, but they put on a good show. In listening to their albums these days, he had a great style, used different scales than most other rock players. One of the best psychedelic guitarists. Reminds me a little of early Alice Cooper's Glen Buxton around the time of the Easy Action album.

I just got a live Iron Butterfly CD, from the Fillmore East in 1968. When the fuzz was off, Erik's tone was very clean, probably cleaner than he wanted for some songs. But when he turned it on, he had such rich tones with a lot of sustain; same as on the studio albums. Those aren't the usual fuzz tones. Some of that was his unique playing style, but I think the Mosrite fuzz was also a part of the early Iron Butterfly sound.
              Last edited by blueman335; 08-10-2016, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Magnetic swapp fuzz!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                  They were the first band I saw live, in Atlanta in 1968. I remember very little of it, but they put on a good show. In listening to their albums these days, he had a great style, used different scales than most other rock players. One of the best psychedelic guitarists. Reminds me a little of early Alice Cooper's Glen Buxton around the time of the Easy Action album.

I just got a live Iron Butterfly CD, from the Fillmore East in 1968. When the fuzz was off, Erik's tone was very clean, probably cleaner than he wanted for some songs. But when he turned it on, he had such rich tones with a lot of sustain; same as on the studio albums. Those aren't the usual fuzz tones. Some of that was his unique playing style, but I think the Mossrite fuzz was also a part of the early Iron Butterfly sound.
                  That's a pretty awesome first show to ever see (mine wasNruce Springsteen, and like you, I unfortunately don't remember much of it either). I'd say Iron Butterfly get overlooked way too often for how they paved the way for hard rock and heavy metal - they rocked way harder than a lot of "hard rock" bands in the following decades.

I listened to the YouTube demo Lampy linked - I do have to admit it sounded very close. That fuzz in particular just sounded awesome on its own, let alone for copping an IB fuzz tone (most often with PGS demos, a lot of it has to do with Andy being a GREAT player). I think you found your answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
                    That's a pretty awesome first show to ever see (mine wasNruce Springsteen, and like you, I unfortunately don't remember much of it either). I'd say Iron Butterfly get overlooked way too often for how they paved the way for hard rock and heavy metal - they rocked way harder than a lot of "hard rock" bands in the following decades.

I listened to the YouTube demo Lampy linked - I do have to admit it sounded very close. That fuzz in particular just sounded awesome on its own, let alone for copping an IB fuzz tone (most often with PGS demos, a lot of it has to do with Andy being a GREAT player). I think you found your answer.

Iron Butterfly was pretty innovative & had a lot of talent in the late 1960's, but they went thru so many changes in personnel. OMG. I looked them up on Wiki, and it's like 100 guys were in and out of the band over the decades. No cohesion or consistency. Had they kept that core line up from their peak years, they could have done more good things.

That Catalinbread demo was nice, love that tone. That's the fuzz sound I want. You're right, I found my answer, thanks again Lampy H.

Comment

It was a Fuzzrite for sure. I've built a couple of clones, they are dirt cheap and easy to build. They use silicon transistors, and therefore require no matching, fiddling, or magic booteek mojo to get them right. It's got a low part count, and is simple to lay out on perfboard.

The Fuzzrite adds a very percussive click to the front of each note. I never noticed back in the old days, listening on my cheap '70s stereo. However, when I re-purchased In A Gadda Da Vida a few years ago on CD, and added it to the thumb drive I listen to in the car, I immediately noticed the "click" through my modern and pretty-damn-good car stereo. My clones both have that exaggerated click on picked notes. Like so many other effects and amps from the '60s, the Fuzzrite is a one trick pony, but it's a great trick. It nails In A Gadda Da Vida, as well as the spaghetti-western tones.

Here's my paisley Fuzzrite (very psychedelic):

And my steampunkish Fuzzrite (with its sister, the triangle muff clone):
                      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

I thought the EHX Satisfaction pedal did a good job of getting this tone.

Bill
                        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

What about the Ashbass Fuzzbrite & Jordan Fuzztite? How do they compare to the Catalinbread?

Comment

good thread! I have to ask... Why don't you remember much of the show??? So long ago?? or???? hahaha

I have to admit... never played a fuzz pedal.. Not sure Id get much use out of one.. But this thread got me thinking... Was the intro to Magic Carpet Ride done with Fuzz? I like that...
                            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Hi everyone on this page! So sorry, I'm YEARS behind any kind of "current answer" on the Big Question of Erik Braunn's "fuzz box," but I just found this page with so many suppositions and questions, and fwiw, have a definitive answer for you. Some of you may find it surprising, some disappointing, and maybe some not. I was a huge Iron Butterfly/Erik Braunn fan after they came out with "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," which I purchased solely on the basis of the front cover photo featuring that backline of Vox Super-Beatle amps (w a couple of Marshalls) across the stage. Had never heard 'em, nor OF 'em, but being a huge Vox fan (from The Beatles, of course, still AM... have 6 Vox amps now), that was enough to listen. Of course, I LOVED the record. Not too long after, I was able to buy my own Super-Beatle amp (which I still have, and it's still pretty clean, too, even after much dragging around to shows for many years!) and eventually a Mosrite "Ventures model" guitar. My band played "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" for a couple of years, and I saw Butterfly perform it, as well, many times. Very simple: plugging straight into the amp's Brilliant channel, or bridging Brilliant and Normal channels, and using the distinctive internal Vox Super-Beatle distortion IS the sound of Erik B. and Iron Butterfly. It's less the guitar, too, than just the amp. I got basically the same sound with the guitar I used before the Mosrite, too. I guess I had a Vox wah-wah and a couple other irrelevant things, but THAT was the definitive, super-raspy Butterfly distortion. Turn off the distortion and you get the clean, clear sound someone had remarked on as well. (Listening thru headphones, I believe you can actually hear EB clicking the footswitch [on left side], picked up by his amp mic!) I could fire it up right now and it would sound the same. Long time coming, but that's the answer. I hope it reaches SOMEONE! Please let me know, eh?
                              Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X