banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tone Quest back and forth between Multi and pedals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone Quest back and forth between Multi and pedals.

Hey guys,
    I'm thinking of retiring the GT-100 From Boss as Im at that cross roads again wanting to go back to pedals. I do this all the time actually.
    When I owned the GT-8 loved / Hated it. It's the control I love , the ease of use and the flexibility but at the expense of the last note of Organic tone.
    I went back to pedals until the GT-10 came out and then went back to the GT series. It was totally better in every way over the GT-8 but I still heard my tone of my amp fall off. Sold the GT-10 and went back to pedals for a minute as the GT-100 came out in the mean time and Guitar Center had a Trade in deal for the older Gt series.
    So I got the Gt-100 and hated it right away as I thought mine was broken or something. The damn thing was all bass heavy and I thought it was way worse then the 10. I was also WAY harder to setup as I was so use to the 10. I got another one and it sounded exactly the same. I almost through in the towel but I worked with it for a while and discovered that this one had my amps tone almost all the way in check. I'd say this. GT-8 was 80%, GT-10 was 85% and the Gt-100 is 94% of your tone.
    I owned it for years now and in the mean time I pick up a pedal here and there just to play with and demo against the GT-100. I was actually shocked on how damn good the Gt-100 is at Tube Screamers. I got the Gt-100 to sound damn exactly like the Ibanez TS-9. I was going back and forth shocked how close they where to each other.
    Delay same thing except I tried the MXR Carbon copy and the GT-100 destroyed it. That really sucked as I use to love MXR pedals. I went and got a Boss DD-7 and that pedal is amazing at Delay. I really miss my Boss DD-20 as they don't make that double pedal anymore which is a shame as it was remarkable and probably the best overall Delay on the market in my opinion at least.
    Then I learned about the TC Electronics Spark and had to have one. I tried it out with the Ibanez TS9 in front of my Krank Revolution on the Krank channel , gain dialed in at 3 , Bass at 7 , Mid's at 6 and Treble at 5. WOW what remarkable tone I was getting out of my drive channel. It has a Mesa Dual Rec kinda tone Boosted. I was totally loving my tone. I recently had the amp re tubed and setup so the amp is in tip top condition.

I have a Boss NS-2 for Noise but I almost don't need it. My amp is quite when it comes to noise and the TS-9 and Spark add some noise so I use the Loop in the NS-2 to filter out all noise. It works great and NO TONE SUCK as some say it does. I don't hear any change at all other then no noise with it or without it wired in.

I have a BBE Sonic Stomp at the end of the chain in the loop after the DD-7.

So finally for some questions to you Pedal Masters
    1) What is the best Pedal power out there? I'm looking for one that has a lot of Outputs but is quite. I don't want a cheap power supply to add any noise to my sound.
    2) What about reverb pedals? Why makes great flexible analog sounding Reverbs?
    3) Chorus? I know Boss makes some of the best sounding Chorus pedals ever in my opinion but what else out there is better or at least compares? My favorite of all time was the double Boss Pedal in the CE-20 which I don't think they make that either which sucks. I would totally buy one. Maybe I'll have to shop used.
    4) best quality volume pedal. I want to put one in the loop before Chorus , delay and Reverb so I can have an overall volume control but keep trails.

Suggestions?

Re: Tone Quest back and forth between Multi and pedals.

I think this post is in the wrong room. You'd probably get more responses in the room dedicated to pedals.
    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

comparing a carbon copy to a dd7 is kinda silly since they are going for very different things.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        comparing a carbon copy to a dd7 is kinda silly since they are going for very different things.
        How so? They are both Delay Pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
          I think this post is in the wrong room. You'd probably get more responses in the room dedicated to pedals.
          How do I move this ?

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
            How so? They are both Delay Pedals.
            The DD-7 is a digital delay and the Carbon Copy is an analog delay. I'll let someone more eloquent about it explain the difference, but they are different animals. It sounds like you happen to prefer digital delays. I'm rather fond of analog delay myself.

If you liked the DD-20, check out the DD-500.

For power check out the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power series, or the new Visual Sound Truetone series.

Volume pedal - my favorite is the standard Ernie Ball Jr.
            Go Packers!

Comment

1) I use a Visual Sound iSpot. Don't know if it meets your requirements
              2). strymon blue sky for me
              3) MXR stereo chorus for me.
              4) I use Ernie Ball. Certainly one of the best quality builds. I always use it at the front of the chain. Don't know if it meets your requirements however. You have to choose the right resistance/impedance to match your chain.

Comment

Are you using the sonic stomp after the gt100? The tone modify block in FX1/2 has an Enchance effect that might help replace the stomp but you shouldn't really need it with the global and patch eq options in the gt.

Anyways moving on to pedals

Power supply- truetone cs12, trex chameleon, mxr mc403, voodoo
                labs (Note- i have found some pedals(OD/DS) can be noisy on iso supply at certain level of gain & volume while another one isn't at same or higher gain & volume levels, odd but can happen with even expensive iso units)

Chorus- Visual sound liquid chorus, Tc corona, ehx & mxr have some to pick from too

Reverb- Digitech polara, strymon stuff, WET reverb

Volume- EB, dunlop, vs visual volume

Now 6% loss isn't that big a deal, probably coming from the 4cm cabling & this venture may end up costing a total amount equal or greater than the fractal FX8, which would have been more flexible in control & less clutter overall too. But still, if it ain't broke... get back to playing with the gt100.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt42 View Post
                  The DD-7 is a digital delay and the Carbon Copy is an analog delay. I'll let someone more eloquent about it explain the difference, but they are different animals. It sounds like you happen to prefer digital delays. I'm rather fond of analog delay myself.

If you liked the DD-20, check out the DD-500.

For power check out the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power series, or the new Visual Sound Truetone series.

Volume pedal - my favorite is the standard Ernie Ball Jr.
                  Awesome man thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    1) I use a Visual Sound iSpot. Don't know if it meets your requirements
                    2). strymon blue sky for me
                    3) MXR stereo chorus for me.
                    4) I use Ernie Ball. Certainly one of the best quality builds. I always use it at the front of the chain. Don't know if it meets your requirements however. You have to choose the right resistance/impedance to match your chain.
                    I'm looking for a volume control to live in the loop before the Delay Reverb and Chorus.

Comment

Were you using your multieffects into an amp or a full range speaker? I moved from pedals to a multi (Fractal AX8) which goes direct to the PA.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

For in the loop you'll want the "L" or low impedance version - https://www.boss.info/us/products/fv-50h_50l/

Comment

Is your loop series or parallel?
                          If it is series, a volume pedal will cut everything off, including the guitar. If it is parallel, it may be possible, but you should be able to adjust the ratio of how much signal goes into the loop.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                            Are you using the sonic stomp after the gt100? The tone modify block in FX1/2 has an Enchance effect that might help replace the stomp but you shouldn't really need it with the global and patch eq options in the gt.

Anyways moving on to pedals

Power supply- truetone cs12, trex chameleon, mxr mc403, voodoo
                            labs (Note- i have found some pedals(OD/DS) can be noisy on iso supply at certain level of gain & volume while another one isn't at same or higher gain & volume levels, odd but can happen with even expensive iso units)

Chorus- Visual sound liquid chorus, Tc corona, ehx & mxr have some to pick from too

Reverb- Digitech polara, strymon stuff, WET reverb

Volume- EB, dunlop, vs visual volume

Now 6% loss isn't that big a deal, probably coming from the 4cm cabling & this venture may end up costing a total amount equal or greater than the fractal FX8, which would have been more flexible in control & less clutter overall too. But still, if it ain't broke... get back to playing with the gt100.
                            Thanks Hank.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Were you using your multieffects into an amp or a full range speaker? I moved from pedals to a multi (Fractal AX8) which goes direct to the PA.
                              I use the Gt-100 for just effects. I use the 4 cable method and my amp Krank Revolution 1. I don't add any other pedals when I use the GT-100.

My chain is like this
                              Guitar - Octa - Tube Screamer - Noise Supressor - Front of the krank - Krank Preamp section Controlled by Amp Control - Out of the send and into the return of the GT-100 - EQ -Noise Supressor - Volume Pedal - Delay - Chorus - Reverb - Out of GT-100 to Return of the GT-100
                              This is my chain and I have patches built to turn On or OFF what I want and what channel of the Krank I'm gonna use.

Comment

Working...
                              X