Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	5794067

Comment

Re: Friedman BE-OD pedal inbound...

Originally posted by B2D View Post
      Every time I've played one, I've been astonished with how pure and organic and evenly balanced that amp is, and how easily notes just fly out of the thing.

If anyone can do it, I bet Dave could.
      Yeah, there's just something very special about the Shirley. I haven't played the full size Shirley yet, but I play the Mini at the store all the time. It's my favorite lunch box of all time by far, and I've owned and played a lot of them (including the Pink Taco). My music store buddy has a BE, Smallbox, and the full size Shirley... and if he had to pick his favorite it would be an easy choice for the Shirley. Just very organic and huge sounding. One of these days he's going to drop it off at my house for a few weeks of test driving. I'll likely want one.

He's also got several of the new Runts coming-in (with the BE pedals and more cabs). So I'll be curious to hear how those are. Should be here any day.
      "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
        Not ever having played any Friedmans, but being nuts about nearly every decent clip Ive heard of the BE, what makes you guys favor the Shirley? How would you compare/differ it from the BE?
        As always, I think that it's personal preference. My buddy prefers both his Shirley and his Smallbox over the BE. I had his BE at my house for a couple weeks and A/B'd it with my Smallbox a bunch, and I actually prefer the BE. It's a bit bigger sounding and just has an ever-so-slight "something extra" over the Smallbox. He says that the Shirley sounds bigger than both the Smallbox and the BE. We both chalk it up to the power tubes (5881s over EL34s), and of course Dave's circuit design.
        "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
          I might know a guy...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74592[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74593[/ATTACH]
          VERY NICE!!!

Have you played the Buxom Betty? I've been curious about those for a while. My buddy has no interest in an amp without a loop. But since the Betty is a clean amp, I would love to use one as a pedal platform. I'll bet that the BE pedal would sound AWESOME running into the Betty.

Comment

I have not. I've played other Friedmans just not that one. I played the pedal yesterday, it's extremely good. I played it through a Morgan.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
              As always, I think that it's personal preference. My buddy prefers both his Shirley and his Smallbox over the BE. I had his BE at my house for a couple weeks and A/B'd it with my Smallbox a bunch, and I actually prefer the BE. It's a bit bigger sounding and just has an ever-so-slight "something extra" over the Smallbox. He says that the Shirley sounds bigger than both the Smallbox and the BE. We both chalk it up to the power tubes (5881s over EL34s), and of course Dave's circuit design.
              Yeah, the 5881s have alittle fatter tone and less focused then EL34s. Wish I could play thru different ones.. You are pretty much my resource.. haha So, thanks!!
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I love factory pics like that... make me drool.... Wish one of those labels had my name and address on it!!
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Yeah, the 5881s have alittle fatter tone and less focused then EL34s. Wish I could play thru different ones.. You are pretty much my resource.. haha So, thanks!!
                  Ha ha! Well... my buddy is definitely the reason that I've been able to play and own so much cool gear. But that means that I'm permanently in debt to him... so there's the downside. This past year I've been helping him out in the store on Saturdays a lot, and have started sprucing up his small [free] web site as well. I think that he's going to have me do a Facebook page for him soon as well. Keeps me from having to make payments though!

Comment

I will say, though, that the Shirley is an amazing sounding amp.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      I will say, though, that the Shirley is an amazing sounding amp.
                      Without question. As much as I love my Smallbox... I'd seriously consider trading it for a Shirley.

Comment

Sounds like a winning combo would be Shirley's smallbox....

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Not ever having played any Friedmans, but being nuts about nearly every decent clip Ive heard of the BE, what makes you guys favor the Shirley? How would you compare/differ it from the BE?
                          The Brown Eye is an F15E Strike Eagle. Massive power, just destroys everything in it's path and it does it with incredible precision. with a little delay you feel like a certified rock god playing that amp.

The Dirty Shirley is a P51D Mustang. It's just classic and pure and organic, good for just about anything, and very rewarding in the hands of a skilled pilot. It makes you feel things. Things inside. As James May would say... it definitely gives you the fizz, where the BE scares you occasionally.

I don't really know how to explain it. Gain wise it'll do Van Halen 1 on back, but it's one of those amps that's honest and yet at the same time enhances what you're doing - it highlights those subtle differences between guitars and players. It's just tone for days and days and days.

Find the 40W head, plug it into a good cab, and play it. If it's not for you, fine. But once you dial it in (not hard... only 6 knobs on the thing), oh man.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                            The Brown Eye is an F15E Strike Eagle. Massive power, just destroys everything in it's path and it does it with incredible precision. with a little delay you feel like a certified rock god playing that amp.

The Dirty Shirley is a P51D Mustang. It's just classic and pure and organic, good for just about anything, and very rewarding in the hands of a skilled pilot. It makes you feel things. Things inside. As James May would say... it definitely gives you the fizz, where the BE scares you occasionally.

I don't really know how to explain it. Gain wise it'll do Van Halen 1 on back, but it's one of those amps that's honest and yet at the same time enhances what you're doing - it highlights those subtle differences between guitars and players. It's just tone for days and days and days.

Find the 40W head, plug it into a good cab, and play it. If it's not for you, fine. But once you dial it in (not hard... only 6 knobs on the thing), oh man.

Great analogies... and I agree with them based on my experience.

The Friedman pallet still hasn't showed. Chomping at the bit to try the BE-OD (as well as the Runt heads that are coming).

Comment

The Friedman pallet showed-up today. He got six BE-OD pedals, several Runt combos and heads, and some 4x12s. He texted me a bit ago with pics and to tell me that three of the six pedals are already gone! Hope he's holding one of the remaining three back for me!

Comment

I've had mine for close to a week maybe? It definitely delivers a smokin hot Marshall tone. Sounds huge and dynamic. All the knobs react well to adjustments, giving a wide range of motion/delivery. Easy to dial in a great sound. If you're looking for a small footprint MOAB, this one is going to be hard to beat.

Stock out of the box

Comment

Working...
                                X