banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gilmour Echoes seagull effect - alternate gear setups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gilmour Echoes seagull effect - alternate gear setups?

This Gilmourish.com page:

and this You Tube video:

CAUTION: the volume of the guitar parts in the video are ear-splittingly loud if you are listening on speakers that are more than just a phone speaker, so be ready to turn that volume down quickly.

describe how Gilmour set up his gear in a weird way to get the seagull effect in the middle breakdown section of Echoes.

For anyone with experience using this gear set up or understands how wah pedals and amps work, I have a couple questions:

1) I don't have a physical preamp - instead I have an amp modelng unit that feeds into a (solid state) power amp. So is this seagull effect achievable with that kind of setup?

2) there are comments in the two references above that say the input buffer on modern-design wah pedals prevent modern wahs from being usable for this effect. So which modern-design wahs are easy to remove or bypass the input buffer? Are there any websites that have instructions or images on how this is done?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 09-08-2016, 11:15 AM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Re: Gilmour Echoes seagull effect - alternate gear setups?

My Vox 847 does it. I actually stumbled on it the same way Gilmour did when I got it back in '97.

No preamp needed, a distortion pedal will bring it out, the delay and reverb are pretty important to the effect as well.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      My Vox 847 does it. I actually stumbled on it the same way Gilmour did when I got it back in '97.

No preamp needed, a distortion pedal will bring it out, the delay and reverb are pretty important to the effect as well.
      Cool, thanks. My current wah is a Dunlop 535Q. Now that I know I can just use a dirt pedal vs needing a preamp, I can see if this works with the 535Q. If not, it looks like I can score a used 847 pretty cheaply, at $50.
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Get a Dunlap Crybaby GCB-95. I bought one dirt cheap for $30 and it performs the seagull effect flawlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by arath060 View Post
          Get a Dunlap Crybaby GCB-95. I bought one dirt cheap for $30 and it performs the seagull effect flawlessly.
          Cool, Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
            Cool, thanks. My current wah is a Dunlop 535Q. Now that I know I can just use a dirt pedal vs needing a preamp, I can see if this works with the 535Q. If not, it looks like I can score a used 847 pretty cheaply, at $50.
            It didn't do anything when I used my Crybaby 535Q Earlier tonight, so I'll re-try with my friend's Vox (i don't what model) when I am able to get my hands on it next weekend.
            Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 09-12-2016, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

I tried again through a Vox 847A model last night. Interesting point is that 80% of the effect was produced, but what is missing is the laughing/cackling sound that should be there when the tone knob is turned down to zero. I spent enough time with it - turning the tone knob very slowly, trying different pickups via the pickup selector switch, that it's definitely not just me being a noob about it.

Does anyone else have experience trying the seagull effect with a Vox 847A vs 847?

Comment

Originally posted by arath060 View Post
                +1

It worked for me too.
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
                  +1

It worked for me too.
                  Thanks bro!

Comment

Working...
                  X