banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You've got a Zvex SHO or a 2-in-1? Found a REALLY cool trick with mine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You've got a Zvex SHO or a 2-in-1? Found a REALLY cool trick with mine.

The way I'd use this pedal normally, would be to slam the front end of my other dirt boxes harder, like a clean boost or something for extra sustain.
    But I wasn't really loving it because the final perceived volume was about the same. More sustain, and just that.

So... out of curiosity, I just tried my 2-in-1 (two SHOs together) in front of all my dirt pedals, in fact being the last thing before the amp.

Oh man!! It works so nicely after my dirt pedals!!
    I can dial a warm, not so penetrant crunch tone, step on my SHO and I get way more volume, presence and also sustain since it hits the preamp a bit hotter too.
    So the crunch goes from warm and balanced, to searing and tight in a controllable manner, while being WAY more dynamic than just stacking it in front.

The SHO has a huge volume boost and also boosts the high-end in a very musical way, so it's basically a perfect boost switch to drop at the end of your chain, and I don't know why I didn't try it this way before.
    Like having an extra channel in my single channel amp all of a sudden, and without the common issues of stacking dirt pedals. It doesn't compress as much so it all remains very, very dynamic.

I did have to lower my preamp gain and amp treble a bit to make the most out of this.
    Please give it a shot if you have a SHO and haven't tried it this way already!
    Last edited by Diego; 09-10-2016, 11:01 PM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Re: You've got a Zvex SHO or a 2-in-1? Found a REALLY cool trick with mine.

Yup. That's why the Box of Rock is the Distortron circuit into the SHO circuit.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
      I thought it was the SHO into the Distortron...
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
      Originally posted by Securb
      The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

It's guitar in - distortron - SHO - guitar out.
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
          Makes all the sense in the world, man. What a ****ing beast it is.
          Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
          Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
          Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
          Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I've always loved my clean boosts after overdrive. It really helps tighten up the sound and fill it out without over-saturating or making it more distorted. That's why I keep the Walrus Audio Voyager (with the gain around 8-9) at the end of my gain pedals, it just gives that nice smoothness and clarity, it really makes it stand out in a mix for lead parts!
            Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
            I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
            Andrew - None

Comment

Working...
            X