NPD - King Klon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD - King Klon

Picked this up from a local builder today. Got a discount because there are a few chips and scratches in the paint.

It's a shame he's decided to call it quits and shut down his operation. I hope I can get a few other of his builds before they all sell out.

This one, the right side is a part for part Klone, the left side is a part for part King of Tone.

I can't wait to get the chance to play around and see what it can do with my rig.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	5842226

Re: NPD - King Klon

Not sure it's what he claims, but it sounds like a great concept for a pedal. Take the two most revered OD pedals and combine them. You may have stumbled upon a winner. Don't sell this one....keep it.

Well, unless you PM me when it's selling time.
    Last edited by Gearjoneser; 09-16-2016, 12:31 AM.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Clips!!! So we can hear this lovely creation

Comment

I haven't had a chance to play with it at home yet, but here's a demo clip that the builder put on YouTube and imbedded on his website and in his ads

He told me concept came about when he was asked by a number of people if he'd clone a King of Tone. He decided he didn't want to do 2 identical circuits for the build so he decided to use a Klon Centaur as one of the circuits and offer customers 2 of the most sought after and expensive pedals for less than the cost of either of the originals. He normally sells these for $275.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
          Not sure it's what he claims, but it sounds like a great concept for a pedal. Take the two most revered OD pedals and combine them. You may have stumbled upon a winner. Don't sell this one....keep it.

Well, unless you PM me when it's selling time.

Oh I doubt I'll be selling this. He's sold pedals to people all across North America, but his estimate of how many total builds he's done is only around 200 since 2013, that's talking about all the different models he's offered. The first couple years were one off custom builds and stuff for personal use with the bulk of them being done from 2015 on.

I figure if I sold it, my luck would be that someone who is a big deal would probably get their hands on one and rave about them and cause prices to skyrocket. Given how many different pedals I've seen him advertise on kijiji and his website over the past year and his personal account if the number of pedals he's built; I'm guessing each of his pedals are in numbers of 20 or less. With small numbers like that; even locally, where he's sold most of his product, I don't think his pedals will be easy to find on the used market.

It's such a shame he decided to call it quits because his build quality is top notch. I'll post a gut shot when I get a chance. He found for the amount of time it took from his family and how much he was able to sell his pedals for and, not being able to buy parts in batches big enough to keep costs down; not to mention trying to mass produce them on his own kinda took the fun out of it for him. sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.
          Last edited by ThisDyingSoul76; 09-16-2016, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Pics of the inside?

Enjoy! KOT is my favorite OD.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Sounds like a cool build.

I'm still waiting for my name it come up on the KoT list. It's been right about a year and I can't wait.
              Go Packers!

Comment

Man I'm loving that thing. So sad we can't get our hands on one

Comment

It really is sad that he decided to stop building. I finally tried it this morning and it's incredible. I don't know which side I like better but both can be very transparent but also have a nice grit to them. He made a very bold statement that this pedal might possibly replace all other over drives for those who tried it... It really just might replace my zillion other OD's.

He only had one King Klon left but it's not listed on his webstore anymore and his kijiji ad is gone.

Personally, I had a few other pedals of his on my wish list that I'm hoping will still be there next payday.... Or at least that his parts inventory allows him to build a few more before he shuts down his operation.

Comment

Is there a reason he stopped building? It sounds like a great concept. BTW, how does everyone feel about cloning pedals? I don't really have an opinion, but I am not really a pedal collector type. Obviously there are cheap Far East clones of pedals, and then there are boutique clones. I know cloning a circuit is legal- but a lot of money changes hands in the pedal world still.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Basically said he it was taking too much time from his family to build them but he wasn't making enough money to quit his job and do the pedal company full time while his wife and kids were at school and work. I got the impression that he wasn't enjoying building pedals so much after he started trying to mass produce them.

I'm hoping he at least does occasional one off builds and offers them up but he's definitely no longer trying to build in high quantities.

Comment

I personally don't see an issue with cloning pedals. The Chinese clones are seldom part for part clones and while they can sound decent there are differences.

The boutique clones often do something different to improve on the design... In the case of this guy's Klon, the only thing changed was the taper of the gain control to make it more gradual. With the KOT, he put mini toggle switches in place of the internal dip switches so people can tweak in real time rather than need to remove the bottom to access them. I think he also added an extra option with the switch for the clipping section but I'm not sure.

Most of his clones are offering a modified design and some of his pedals are based on something but made totally different, like when he

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                          Pics of the inside?

Enjoy! KOT is my favorite OD.
                          Here's the gut shot. All very clean solder work as I've noted on his TL-808 and seen in examples from his ads and pics by members of his Facebook group.

Centaur on the left, King of Tone (or technically Prince of Tone since it's just one KOT circuit) on the right. The Klon side is buffered, just like the original Klon and the buffer is very good. As good as or better than the buffers in my Visual Sound pedals. The KOT is True Bypass

I notice a trim pot on the KOT in the lower right corner of the PCB. I've asked what that controls and I'm waiting to hear back
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	5796113

Comment

Wow, that looks just as nice inside! Can we hear it with your rig?
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

the trimpot on the king of tone side is the internal treble pot like on the original

Comment

Working...
                              X