No announcement yet.

Anyone else try and not like the BE-OD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else try and not like the BE-OD?

I had one for a couple of days and could not bond with it so it went back. With Fenders and a Plexi clone it just seemed hard and murky to me....it didn't really sing on lead lines. I am not saying it sucked or anything, it was pretty good, but I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Am I alone in NOT loving the BE-OD?
    Gravity...its just a theory

Re: Anyone else try and not like the BE-OD?

I'm curious about this too, as I've read good things about this pedal.

Comment

Like with most OD pedals... I think that it can be big time dependent on the amplifier and speaker. My BE-OD sounds great into the plexi channel of my Smallbox, as well as into the clean channel of my Roland Cube 80XL. I still haven't tried the BE-OD into the clean channel of my Quickrod yet though. And I just got my new Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Sweetwater edition amp today, so I'll be trying the BE-OD into that amp tonight. I also ordered a Fender Super Champ X2 FSR today (as a daily practice amp), so I'll be curious how the BE-OD sounds into that amp.

Btw... I loved my Carl Martin Plexitone into the plexi channel of my old Bogner XTC Classic (as well as a few other amps that I had at the time), but HATED the Plexitone into my 65 Fender TRRI. So it's just so dependant on amp and speaker choice. Same goes for my old Fulltone OCD. It KILLED into my Bogner Shiva and Marshall 2203X, but didn't do so great into other amps. That's why I've learned that there is no one-size-fits-all OD pedal, and that I should have several different pedals around that work with different amps. My Bogner Harlow kills on the Smallbox Plexi channel and I'm also curious as to how it fares into my new Fenders combos.

It's cool that the BE-OD didn't work for you. I'm over taking these things personally. We all hear things differently and want different things. But I would caution you to remember what I said above. Because it's entirely possible that you could try a BE-OD into a different amp and love it. I found the BE-OD running into my Smallbox and Cube 80XL to sound very much like my buddy's BE100 head. And he's seconded my findings.
      Last edited by Red_Label; 09-20-2016, 03:25 PM.
      "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
        Like with most OD pedals... I think that it can be big time dependent on the amplifier and speaker. My BE-OD sounds great into the plexi channel of my Smallbox, as well as into the clean channel of my Roland Cube 80XL. I still haven't tried the BE-OD into the clean channel of my Quickrod yet though. And I just got my new Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Sweetwater edition amp today, so I'll be trying the BE-OD into that amp tonight. I also ordered a Fender Super Champ X2 FSR today (as a daily practice amp), so I'll be curious how the BE-OD sounds into that amp.

Btw... I loved my Carl Martin Plexitone into the plexi channel of my old Bogner XTC Classic (as well as a few other amps that I had at the time), but HATED the Plexitone into my 65 Fender TRRI. So it's just so dependant on amp and speaker choice. Same goes for my old Fulltone OCD. It KILLED into my Bogner Shiva and Marshall 2203X, but didn't do so great into other amps. That's why I've learned that there is no one-size-fits-all OD pedal, and that I should have several different pedals around that work with different amps. My Bogner Harlow kills on the Smallbox Plexi channel and I'm also curious as to how it fares into my new Fenders combos.

It's cool that the BE-OD didn't work for you. I'm over taking these things personally. We all hear things differently and want different things. But I would caution you to remember what I said above. Because it's entirely possible that you could try a BE-OD into a different amp and love it. I found the BE-OD running into my Smallbox and Cube 80XL to sound very much like my buddy's BE100 head. And he's seconded my findings.
        I was running mine into a DRRI and couldn't get into it. But that's just me, tons of people love the pedal and that is totally cool. Its just not for me and I was curious to see if I was alone in being left flat.
        Gravity...its just a theory

Comment

I got my new Sweetwater Ltd edition DRRI last night and have spent several hours with it. I A/B'd several OD pedals into it (BE-OD, Plexitone V1, Carl Martin Hot Drive & Boost, Bogner Harlow, and the green Hardwire OD pedal) and the BE-OD was my favorite. This DRRI has the different Jensen speaker in it and I've read that it's less harsh with OD pedals than the Jensen in the standard DRRI. My BE-OD sounds GREAT into the DRRI. It was close between it and the Plexitone, but in the end I preferred the Friedman pedal as it had a slightly less harsh, smoother sound.
          "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

Comment

Red Label, for goodness sakes, run that thing thru the QR!! Im itching to know how they bond with the QR!
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
              Red Label, for goodness sakes, run that thing thru the QR!! Im itching to know how they bond with the QR!
              LOL!!! I'll do that this weekend man. I've been so enamored with my new Fender DRRI that I haven't even turned anything else on since it came. But I can certainly take a little time later this weekend and do that. Maybe even tonight... since Friday nights tend to be the nights where I like to crank up the rock and let loose.

Comment

LOL!!! I'll do that this weekend man. I've been so enamored with my new Fender DRRI that I haven't even turned anything else on since it came. But I can certainly take a little time later this weekend and do that. Maybe even tonight... since Friday nights tend to be the nights where I like to crank up the rock and let loose.
                And into the FX return, pretty please (doesn't have to be the Quickrod)?
                Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

It does one sound with gain or more gain. I was expecting it to be more like the Suhr Riot but it's not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                    Roger. Will do that and report back!

Comment

Hello, I have had the BE OD for a week now with my Smallbox/Friedman 4X12 cab. It seems to compress the sound more than I prefer and find myself going back to using the amps "BE" channel and using my TS10 (Gain/Tone, 0; Drive at 5) to add a little drive when needed. Using the amps BE channel seems more open and natural to me, although Pete Thorne's demo sounded damn near perfect (his fingers I'm sure have a lot to do with that)!

Still testing to see if its going back or not.

UPDATE - I just tested by running my guitar into the pedal, and the pedal straight into the effect return and to me it sounds way better than running into the front of the amp. Something to definitely test for anyone on the fence with the BE OD...
                      Last edited by BFahz; 09-24-2016, 01:34 PM.
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/BFahz/

Comment

Yeah, my impression of what Ive read of this pedal is that it is NOT an overdrive boost for front of amp, but is more an amp emulation..
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                          Finally got around to doing this yesterday G_S...

And wow... sounds pretty much just like my Smallbox. So the BE-OD into a sufficiently clean source will definitely give you that Friedman sound. After playing that setup for a while, I went back to playing the Quickrod by itself and is character went right back to being all Splawn. So Dave definitely put his tone into his pedal.

BTW... my Smallbox is shipping out today, to a guy who's sending me his Dirty Shirley. Damn stoked about getting a DS, as I absolutely love ACDC and Def Leppard "High & Dry" era tones.

Comment

As much fun as a new pedal can be, I still agree with BFahz. There's really no better gain tone than taking a good sounding amp and hitting it with a neutral sounding mild OD.
                            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by BFahz View Post
                              Hello, I have had the BE OD for a week now with my Smallbox/Friedman 4X12 cab. It seems to compress the sound more than I prefer and find myself going back to using the amps "BE" channel and using my TS10 (Gain/Tone, 0; Drive at 5) to add a little drive when needed. Using the amps BE channel seems more open and natural to me, although Pete Thorne's demo sounded damn near perfect (his fingers I'm sure have a lot to do with that)!

Still testing to see if its going back or not.

UPDATE - I just tested by running my guitar into the pedal, and the pedal straight into the effect return and to me it sounds way better than running into the front of the amp. Something to definitely test for anyone on the fence with the BE OD...

Finally got around to doing this yesterday G_S...

And wow... sounds pretty much just like my Smallbox. So the BE-OD into a sufficiently clean source will definitely give you that Friedman sound. After playing that setup for a while, I went back to playing the Quickrod by itself and is character went right back to being all Splawn. So Dave definitely put his tone into his pedal.

BTW... my Smallbox is shipping out today, to a guy who's sending me his Dirty Shirley. Damn stoked about getting a DS, as I absolutely love ACDC and Def Leppard "High & Dry" era tones.
                              Thanks, both of you. That answers a major question I had about the BE-OD. This means that I can use it as a preamp with either my Helix or my G-System.
                              Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Working...
                              X