Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Boogie Throttle Box Pedal

Hello all,
    I just picked this up today and I can say I'm not very happy with it so far. It's extremely muddy and you barely have note definition. It sounds nothing like their amps which I was able to dial in some wonderful clear strong high gain sounds.
    This thing actually sucks IMO and I'll explain what I did with it.
    Where the battery goes in( Which I'm not using I have a Voodoo Labs Power supply) there is a voicing BOOST switch. It comes factory to the right which is BOOST mode.
    I tried every possible setting in BOOST mode and it was just mud. I don't get it their amps don't sound like mud at least not the Mark V 35 that I fell in love with.
    So I switched the BOOST mode OFF which would be the switch to the left. This took some of the MUD out but it's still not clear. It's got gain for years but you can't dial in a blend of gain clarity and Chunk. I messed with it for hours and decided I'm gonna return it.
    I even for the sheer hell of it BOOSTED it with a Tube Screamer in front of it and man that made it slighty better and clearer but not to my liking.
    When I compared it to my Drive channel which I know is completely un fair to compare a Actual Preamp to a Drive pedal it was a disaster. My Krank Revolution 1 Sounds SO MUCH BETTER and clearer. I can hear everything I'm playing with nice note definition and power. I can Chug for years and thump my soul. The Throttle box makes me sick. I think I actually hate it. Yeah it's OUT!!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	5842397

Re: Mesa Boogie Throttle Box Pedal

Yeah, I didn't like that one at all. Couldn't coax any clarity out of it. It responded pretty well once I put and EQ after it, but still not my cup of tea.

Your Rev 1's distortion shiuld slay that pedal hands down. I wish I still had my Rev Jr Pro. Some of the best distortion in a tube amp, period.

Comment

I was trying to get some cool Boogie tone until I possibly buy a JP2C+. But what a failure this adventure turned out to be.
      My Krank is so good I'm starting to wonder even why I should consider buying a new amp. I think after 10 years of playing the same thing I feel the need to try something different. I had a EVH 2 x 12 and 50 watt head and I returned it as the Krank crushed it for everything except rock tones which I was able to dial in some really nice rock tones with that amp. But it shared the clean channel and really messed up the cleans when trying to get a nice Rock tone out of it. You can't have both.
      So it was out.
      I think the REV jr is killer. Man what a cool little head. Those bad ass 1 x 12 cab's are really good. Shame you let that go.

Comment

That's too bad, sorry man!

Comment

Working...
        X