Is Digitech's Obscura the Quietest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Digitech's Obscura the Quietest?

In the past year I have thought five different delay pedals. With all of my petals and offer bypass mode, and the delay pedal has added a significant amount of light and noise to my overall board. With exception to the Digitech Secura pedal which has added virtually no noise whatsoever. And when it is not" true bypass" mode, using the trails feature even less noise is present. I cannot find where this has any kind of a nice gain on it at all. But I have yet to try the Striem and pedal, though ones I am home and have been on par with the timeline and the El Capistan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Is Digitech's Obscura the Quietest?

Generally, digital delays will be quieter, but I kinda like the gauzy haze of analog delays. They shouldn't add hum or hiss when not on, though. My Vapor Trail is really quiet.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Another question that directly comes to mind is: How do you power your pedals? It can make quite a difference if the pedals are fed by isolated or separate power sources, or if they all have the power supply in common. If you do use a common power supply with a daisy chain, you could try using a separate power supply for the delay and see if that minimizes/cancels all the noise issues you are having with the other pedals.
      Unbelief is safe, because it takes no risk and almost always gets what it expects.

When your passion begins to decline, you already start to die. You were born to burn.

Comment

Just a test to see if it sounds quieter when using a battery might be enough to blame the power supply.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It's white noise, and my "TGP ears". LOL.
          I have a OneSpot CS12 Pro isolated power supply. It has the best options for price of any Iso supply I have found, and it is as quiet as the PP2+ I replaced with it.
          I tried the other pedals off board. I tried them with different power supplies, all plugged into an ISO power strip. The white noise (tape hiss sound) was still there.
          Part of it is me seriously being anal in my current 9x12 studio.

BUT
          The Obscura does not add ANY noise floor to my rig. Nor does the Ventura Vibe. So...going going is the DejaVu Delay. Gone is the Nemesis.
          The Obscura can tap tempo from the single footswitch button and, honestly, it's like having the Empress Tape Delay in a single button format. With stereo option.
          I have used Digitech stuff since I strarted playing in the late 80s but haven't had anything of theirs in my rig for the past 5 years, and never one of their delay or reverb pedals.

Comment

Working...
          X