Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this even possible? Sentry Noise Gate

Hello all,
    Well I ran out and picked one up. It's the Tc electronics Sentry Noise gate. I can't believe what I'm hearing. First off my tone got brighter and louder by adding this in well ok replacing my Boss NS-2 on my pedal board. I use the Loop in the Noise gate so my OD , Distortion and Boost pedal are in the gates Loop all before that chain hits the front of my amps preamp.

WOW I can't believe it, I think well better put I know the Buffer in this pedal is a better fit for my setup. Not that there is anything wrong with the Boss NS-2 Buffer circuit but I think it might have been holding back some dynamic range and treble response. I connected the Sentry and BAM all this tone came out of know where. Even my gain channel sounds stronger. Like I'm hitting the front end harder. Think of this, you know a lot of people will use a Ibanez Tube screamer not to just get that mid range push but also to add some attack to the overall sound of your amps gain channel. Especially those Mesa Guys who do this to make their tone sharper then what comes out of the box. This Sentry Noise gate allowed my guitar with nothing else on except the Sentry gave me this PUSH or just allowed my natural PUSH of my guitars pickups to RUSH the front end.

Guys I know I sound crazy but it's what I experienced with this pedal. I can't say I was even expecting any of this as I was just interested in trying out the ability to adjust the gates frequencies to gate only those who need gating instead of like most other gate who just do full band Gating.
    To gain clarity and tone was a HUGE BONUS.

I gotta say this, the Boss pedal is built like a tank, high quality works amazing and takes ALL the noise out. BUT you lose a slight bit in drive when doing so. I'm sure not everyone is going to experience this as my amp is super sensitive to anything I do to it. Anyway Man am I happy, this pedal just completely exceeded all my expectations and then some. WOW Tc great job!!!!

Re: Is this even possible? Sentry Noise Gate

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2546.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	5796911

Comment

This was before the Sentry

Name:	IMG_2523.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	5796912

Comment

Ok as sloppy as my board looks in that pic, please forgive me I'm usually much neater than that. But honestly I'm experimenting with Tc electronics pedals right now and built that board years ago minus the top plate form which I got that idea from Holey Boards.
        I cleaned it up a bit and moved the tuner to the front row which I moved back in preparation for a Boss ES-8 switcher or something like that. So far what I have seen of the Boss ES-8, it's a damn home run. Killer control and the only one on the market that is a Matrix switcher which allows you to change the order of your pedals a will. Now thats how a switcher should work.
        Here's a pic of the current setup and once I lock in on my setup, I'm gonna get a Holey board OR one of those other boards with the clamps that lock you pedals into place. I like however the platform as I hate more then anything kicking pedals when your trying to turn them on and off until I get my switcher. Even so after I think the platform is a excellent idea to have as I tried it out on this board and I love it.
        By the way this is a cheap Ikea Prebuilt piece that I modified and painted to hold my Boss GT-100 years ago. It's pretty big and I think I spent less the $60 buck total on it.
        One thing I'm really digging is the Planet Waves 1/4 to 1/4 male adapters. When you have the same kind of pedals, these work great, when you don't they suck ass.

Name:	IMG_2553.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	5796921

Comment

The Sentry ocupies a smaller area on your board (than the Boss NS-2).
          That's good!
          Last edited by Guitaraxz; 11-13-2016, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitaraxz View Post
            The Sentry ocupies a smaller area on your board (than the Boss NS-2).
            That's good!
            It sure does and thats also due to the fact I have all tc electronics pedals in front of my amp and they all can be 1/4 to 1/4 coupler together. This makes for a nice Install. Also I use the loop on the Sentry so it keeps any un wanted noise from the OD , Distortion and Boost pedal. When I replace the Boss DD-7, I will be able to do some 1/4 to 1/4 male couples in the effects loop and get rid of some of those cables.

On a side note, the Sentry made my entire rig sound much better. The Buffer circuit in it works with my rig better then the Boss did. Shame to as the Boss really worked well for noise. It's a great pedal. The Sentry just works better with my setup. The Buffer I can hear a complete difference with the pedal off which I have in True Bypass mode. This allows me to hear the difference between Buffered and True Bypass. When I'm in True bypass mode, the Highs of my rig get slighty lost. it's like someone turned the Trebble knob down a few ticks. With the Sentry on which also turns on the Buffer, you get all your Trebble back. I thought the Mojo Mojo and Dark Matter pedals where slighty dark sounding. Once I added the Sentry, they sound fantastic and so much better.
            I gotta think that boss pedals work better with other Boss Pedals. I know I have been mixing and matching over the years but this is the first time I studied the results.
            Last edited by mantis; 11-13-2016, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X