banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Live setup, mk 3 -- JeffB, you will want to see this (clip inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live setup, mk 3 -- JeffB, you will want to see this (clip inside)

After a few rounds with the guitar and associated equipment, I finally settled on a pedal board that sounds really good.

Original setup was:
    Bogner Harlow > Bogner Uberschall > strymon DECO

Mk 2 setup, which I liked a lot:
    Thundertomate boost > Bogner Harlow > mxr micro flange > strymon DECO

This setup sounded nice through my iso cab but I was less impressed with it when I played it through my 2x12 cabinet today. First thing I did was swap out the Eminence Wizard/Swamp Thang to a Wizard/Wizard setup -- that definitely improved things. I then set out to see if I could get the sound to be more ballsy, have a bit more hair and heaviness.

Mk 3 of the setup is by far my favourite! The pedal choice is a bit strange considering all of the pedals that I have at my disposal, but this particular combination of guitar/pedals/amp/cab just WORKS.

Mk 3 setup is:
    Thundertomate boost (dip switches changed to a Fat Treble Boost setting, then cranked the down the high cut) > mxr distortion+ Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone > Maestro PS-1 phaser > strymon DECO.

I tried all of my amps, but the Bumbox just excels with the mxr distortion pedal. This makes me so happy because I have always struggled with the mxr and realize now that the amp you use is critical to how good that pedal sounds. I also ended up bringing the presence up on the Bumbox quite a bit ... it evened out the frequency response quite a bit and gave me the top end sheen I was looking for without getting all ice pick on me! That pedal just ROARS when your amp is cranked.

For the Philosopher's Tone, I have the sustain and treble quite high, as well as the output level, but then I blended it down so that most of the tone is from the direct signal; the compressor only really kicks in when the volume is down and the picking is light. I evens everything up quite nicely.

For the DECO, I am using Deck One for tape saturation pre-emphasis/de-emphasis only. Deck Two is set to about 350 mS of delay and bounce (i.e., two repeats).

Holy ghosts of 70s Rush does this setup sound great!

For the clip, I mic'd the cabinet dead center and about 12" away. Mic was a Neat Worker Bee.

Please forgive the clams when playing, this is just a quick play through and the song itself requires a couple of run throughs before it starts sounding good.

Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Live setup, mk 3 -- JeffB, you will want to see this (clip inside)

Only listened on my phone but it sounds great! That maestro is a classic tone.

I've been checking out the Deco online quite a bit lately, it's really a "Classic Rock" pedal, the tape saturation and comb filtering really gives an instant 70's rock album tone.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks! The Maestro is definitely uber-70s ... even with the effect 'off', just running through the circuit is like a time machine.
      The DECO is a really interesting pedal; it is super convincing sounding and has a brilliant overdrive crunch on its own, if you are looking for a very organic crunch tone.

Comment

Im really glad you didnt sell that maestro. I have supposedly the best clone out there, but it just doesn't have the mojo and thickness like the real deal does.

The whole rig sounds great. Like you said.... with the right amp and speakers the D+ is just fantastic. It does something to the initial pick attack that just sounds/records great.

I can't recall....is the bumbox is a JTM45 derivative or a later (1987/1959) circuit?
        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

JMP with the inputs internally bridged. You can select either input, or blend them, which is what I do. With the Presence all the way down, there is a ton of low frequency information. As you bring up the Presence, it gets a bit brighter, more focused, and the frequency response flattens out.

Comment

Ran this setup at Ultrasound last night. Sounded killer! It was pretty cool.

I also played in stereo for the first time. I liked the way it filled the room without being beam-y. Certainly not a must-have for me but made rehearsal a lot easier.

Used the strymon DECO in wide stereo mode and send the lag deck to a second amp the other side of the drum kit. I set the lag deck for a subtle tape double and it worked fine. Amps used were a Bruno and Dr Z combo.

Next time I will be adding delay to one side for solos, but otherwise the effect was quite subtle.

Comment

Working...
            X