Clear All

• bass pedals and guitar

hi
    i would like to play like genesis or Police

= a guitar with some chords or solo

and a bass pedal like the Boss octaver oc 3 at the same time

so, i think it will be better with 2 amps but my guitar has not 2 outputs

Re: bass pedals and guitar

Which era of Genesis? Or which era of the Police? Make sure you have a good, chimey clean sound, and process the hell out of it. Many Genesis records up to 'Wind & Wuthering' have several electrics and acoustics in various tunings layered together. Steve Hackett's sound was a Les Paul into a fuzz into a volume pedal.
    The bass pedals Genesis used were floor-based keyboard pedals triggering a synth.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

genesis had bass pedals from 70 to 92
      (be careful ! i prefer the remaster 94 editions : what you find in spotify are just 2007 remasters but for example
      the drums are horrible : it is a remix
      so different from the original sound for most of the albums : it can be good for every instruments but not for the drums because the sound changed
      )

i am huge fan of Genesis, Phil, Daryl, Mike, Chester and TONy
      but what i notice is that Sting and Daryl and Mike could play with bass pedals in a lot of songs

playing with their guitar at the same time

i have a boss oc 3 and it's really good :you can play arpeggios with a stronger bass signal with the guitar

but i would like to play like them = chords, notes, solo and bass pedals too but with another amp

so the sound of the guitar will be natural (without the bass pedal into the original sound)

about pOlice : "don't stand so close to me" has bass pedals

Last edited by always SD; 11-24-2016, 04:17 PM.

Comment

I don't think an octave pedal does a remotely good job playing actual bass pedal sounds. I've always used a midi pedal going to a rack mounted synth to do it. In fact, I'd say that there is no sound on a guitar that comes remotely close to the sound of bass pedals, no matter what stompbox is used. You'd really need a set of those above.

Comment

i think the main problem is the OC 3 needs to strum the strings

whereas the Moog bass pedal does not need to sound with fingers or a pick

just the foot

yes so i look for something like that

Comment

i really wonder how can you have the sound of the guitar but not mixed with this big pedal

Comment

Bass pedals go to their own amp, and out to the PA. They have nothing to do with the guitar signal at all. They are essentially a synth that isn't connected to the guitar. The cheap way to do this would be something like a FCB1010, with UnO firmware sending note on messages to a rackmount synth. Even an old Sound Canvas has this sound in it, and it works well.

Comment

i have 2 guitar amps
                what can i do to have this sound without a rack ?

something like roland gr 55 ?

Comment

You can put a stereo jack in your guitar, get a cable that has a stereo 1/4" plug on one end and 2 mono 1/4" plugs on the other end, run one of those to your OC-3 and that out to a separate amp.

However, every note you play will go through the OC-3 and into the other amp, so it won't sound at all like playing chords on guitar and single notes on bass pedals.
                  Originally posted by Brown Note
                  I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                  My Blog

Comment

Are you trying to get the bass pedals to play every note you play on guitar? Those bands never did that- the bass pedals were for low drones while they played chords (listen to the verse on Squonk). I've never heard an analog or digital guitar pedal get remotely close to that sound.

Comment

Genesis used that = 12 strings +bass pedals
                      or bass+bass pedals
                      or guitar +bass pedals

that was great
                      but hard to do that at home just with the oC-3 and 2 amps

Comment

OC-3 does have a dry out. If it's first, it basically splits your signal into dry guitar and effected guitar (octave shifted). However, it'll keep shifting everything you play an octave lower.

Maybe add a distortion, phaser and looper after the wet output and loop some drones, then turn off the oc-3 and play over it.

Decent solution for having fun, but if you want to replicate the songs exactly you really need a set of bass pedals.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yeah, the OC3 isn't going to get that sound...and in any case, they were playing different notes with their feet than they were with their hands. They are playing 2 different instruments at once.

Comment

Working...
                          X