Need help with a gain pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a gain pedal

I've always been a huge Metallica fan and love or hate it I really have enjoyed the rhythm tones that James has gotten on Death Magnetic and Hardwired. I know he uses Mesa Boogie stuff for his live rig and I've heard rumors that he has been experimenting with Krank amps recently, sadly these options are out of my reach for the moment. Any ideas on a gain pedal that will get me in the ballpark? I'm going to pair it with Fender Frontman 15 cause they play with pedals pretty nicely and I need to keep the volume down. Many thanks in advance.

Re: Need help with a gain pedal

http://eshop.amtelectronics.com/legend-amps-2-new/amt-electronics-r2-legend-amps-2-guitar-preamp.htmlThe AMT Electronics Legend amps R2 gives you 3 outputs t...

Comment

That sounds like a pretty fantastic Pedal. I would absolutely check one of those out. You can also look at Mesa Boogie Drive Plus EQ pedals, They are Mesa tone.

Comment

Het's main tone on Death Magnetic was a Diezel VH4 blended with a Krankenstein. As far as my ears can tell, Hardwired is primarily his live rig, the Diezel and his Triaxis/2:90.

The demos of the KHDK No. 1 sound really really good. The Mesa pedals haven't really done much for me, they don't have the fatness that James' current tone has. While you're looking at the AMT pedals, don't forget to check out the Diezel emulation.

Comment

I would also look into getting a Radial Mix Blender. You'll never get close to James' tone with one amp, and the Radial will let you blend two distortion pedals together into one amp. Down the line, you can get a second clean amp to run other pedals and get a true stereo sound.

Comment

Lampy thanks for the advice. I guess what I really should have said is that I like the tone that James has gotten on the last two albums so I want to get the ballpark tone and then have the ability to make it my own. So I guess in reality then I'll have to decide between Mesa emulation or Diezel emulation.

Comment

Working...
            X