NPD -- TC Mimiq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD -- TC Mimiq

Only my second TC Electronic pedal besides the Ditto, I have always thought this pedal would be interesting to have for a recording project I am starting next week. I haven't used it yet, so full review to follow. I am also looking forward to trying it with my mono synths!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: NPD -- TC Mimiq

Never tried it but I want it as stereo rigs are a pain and expensive
    EBMM Monarchy Majesty 6 Purple (DiMarzio Sonic Ecstasies)
    Jackson Soloist AT Indigo Storm HT6 (BKP Juggernauts)
    Jackson Soloist Slime Green FR6 (Duncan Custom B/59B N)
    Fender MIM Fat Strat Sunburst (Stock)
    PRS Archon
    Line 6 Helix -> Powerstage

Comment

Never heard of it. Esplain Loo-chee....
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
        Only my second TC Electronic pedal besides the Ditto, I have always thought this pedal would be interesting to have for a recording project I am starting next week. I haven't used it yet, so full review to follow. I am also looking forward to trying it with my mono synths!
        Looking forward to this. Would love to hear how much better than a classic short delay it feels like.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          Never heard of it. Esplain Loo-chee....
          "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

I want one.

Comment

Cool.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

This is the demo that got me thinking about getting one of these.. some really cool applications for getting studio style tones live.
                Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                Andrew - None

Comment

My first jam/play around with the Mimiq. It's an excellent pedal, really sounds nothing like the Deco in that it doesn't do tape doubling, it mimics actual overdubs ... really cool stuff. This was written live and recorded straight off the floor so forgive any errors ... I used the Mimiq on the acoustic guitar parts; the first part was played live and then looped with a Ditto, then I solo'd live over that. All of the other synths were played live into my sequencers and everything was panned and mixed through my Mackie 16 channel mixer.

Comment

Here's the same setup but using a Strat/chorus pedal into the Mimiq.

Comment

I was curious about this pedal and had a chance to try it in a store yesterday under VERY suboptimal conditions:

Two single speaker combo amps, couldn't crank them (because shared amp room).
                      Speakers were placed no more than a meter apart, and one of them was more or less hidden behind a wall of other amps. In other words, no proper stero field, and couldn't properly position myself between them.

My observations:
                      The effect is DEFINITELY there, IF you really crank the pedal. In mono mode, it sounds more like its fattening the sound (think increased distortion and bottom end) more than its recreating the sound of double tracking or having an extra guitarist onstage.
                      It works better in stereo obviously, but again, due to the situation, couldn't really notce a HUGE difference.
                      It also painted in what is ppossibly the UGLIEST shade I've ever seen on a stompbox

So my verdict based on the hour or so I spent with the pedal - if you have acess to two rigs but only one guitarist and your amps can be turned up and separated, yeah, I could see the value of this pedal. But in a mono setup - no, not so much. Ended up buying a Flashback instead.
                      Last edited by Coma; 01-10-2017, 03:28 PM.
                      --------------------------------------------------------
                      1973 Aria 551
                      1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                      1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                      1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                      1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                      2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

What is the difference between this and some sort of ultra-tweakable delay? The demo video sounds like a modulated delay varying between 30-60ms. It is a cool effect, but I am wondering if a delay pedal could do the same thing. I would think with the Flashback's TonePrint editor, you could accomplish something similar, if not dead on.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          What is the difference between this and some sort of ultra-tweakable delay? The demo video sounds like a modulated delay varying between 30-60ms. It is a cool effect, but I am wondering if a delay pedal could do the same thing. I would think with the Flashback's TonePrint editor, you could accomplish something similar, if not dead on.
                          Dunno, but it would have to be able to process and pan up to 3 discrete delay lines and the dry signal at once if it were only done with delay.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            Apart from the modulation I think the delay time is not fixed. i.e. It varies slightly with each repeat, giving it a more natural feel.

Comment

I think this is similar to something that Allan Holdsworth does- he uses several Yamaha Magicstomps to do the different delay lines.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X