banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A year of experimentation leads right back to where I started.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A year of experimentation leads right back to where I started.

I'm not exactly a pedal junkie. The entire 20 years I actively played in bands I used either no pedals or one, aside from a tuner.
    But when I got back into playing last year I thought I could do better for a lead boost than the eq pedal I bought in 1992 or so. So...I went on a bit of a bender. Bought and sold three comp pedals, three delays, two or three boost pedals, and three different od pedals. Modded one of the boosts and one of the overdrive pedals. Most of them were fine. But tonight I plugged in the old eq pedal and it just...works. does exactly what I need and nothing else.

I'd like to say I feel dumb but the reality is I enjoyed chasing all those pedals online, enjoyed trying them out, and made money on a few but overall probably broke even. And more importantly, I now know that there is no magic pedal and the way I did it 20 years ago still works for me.

Re: A year of experimentation leads right back to where I started.

Keep it simple stupid.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

It's about the journey.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        Keep it simple stupid.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
        Yeah, I knew I was close to falling into the abyss when I started to contemplate having a boost, a comp, and an od pedal for three very slightly different boost options!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
          I'm not exactly a pedal junkie. The entire 20 years I actively played in bands I used either no pedals or one, aside from a tuner.
          But when I got back into playing last year I thought I could do better for a lead boost than the eq pedal I bought in 1992 or so. So...I went on a bit of a bender. Bought and sold three comp pedals, three delays, two or three boost pedals, and three different od pedals. Modded one of the boosts and one of the overdrive pedals. Most of them were fine. But tonight I plugged in the old eq pedal and it just...works. does exactly what I need and nothing else.

I'd like to say I feel dumb but the reality is I enjoyed chasing all those pedals online, enjoyed trying them out, and made money on a few but overall probably broke even. And more importantly, I now know that there is no magic pedal and the way I did it 20 years ago still works for me.
          It's pretty common to go full circle, particularly to the gear used in "glory" years.

Sometimes it's not how good a pedal or amp is but rather how well you know it. You plug it in and know exactly how to tweak it to make it sound "good" because you spent a lot of time playing it in the past.

I went on a compressor quest and ended up trading back the one I started with after 4/5 others. The seller had a chuckle.

Comment

If it ain't broke... don't fix it!

That being said, I sorta do the same thing from time to time, even though I'm a multi-effects unit kind of guy. I try something "new" out, it sounds kind of cool, I tweak, I play, I try something else, I tweak, I play, I run through the cycle a couple more times and ALWAYS end up right back where I started!

Sometimes I think it's good to try something else if for no other reason than to remind you of how much you like what you have.
            Originally posted by The Commodores?
            "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Hell I have a decade of experimentation which always leads me back to the basic fundamental pedal I know and love.
              My quest is a bit different but similar in ways.
              I started my journey out way back in the early 80's and pedals was all the rave. Then when I stumbled onto the Boss GT-8 when that came out, I thought this was it. Then from there I went back to pedals as I didn't care for the lack of tone the GT-8 produced that I was use to.
              Then the GT-10 came out and it was improved in many ways and I had to have it. Sold the pedals kept a few laying around but went full GT-10. The ease of use was incredible on the GT-10 and I love it. I noticed the lack of tone with it but it was much better then the GT-8. I got sick and tired of the tone suck and went back to pedals. Got sick of tap dancing and in the mean time the GT-100 came out and they claimed it was warmer and no tone loss. So I ran out and got it and it was better then the GT-10.
              Over time I would switch back and forth between the GT-100 and pedals and I gave up the ultimate flexibility with the GT-100 and went back to pedals again.

I'm a pedal guy and I'm also a tone chaser. If my tone is where I want it, I can play write and love what I do, when it's off I want to put the guitar down and not play. The GT boards did that to me from time to time and I had to finally move away.
              Now I'm just gonna get a Pedal switcher that I can program so I have my cake and eat it to. Only one down fall is the cost. The Cost of pedals switcher board cables etc power supply is WAY more money then the GT's are , it's not even close. I considered picking up the TC Electronics G system which is supposed to be far superior in tone the the Boss models but I'm not buying another all in one pedal board without test driving it first. No one has it in stock for me to play with so I'll stick on my pedal quest.

I'm ok with spending the amounts of money I have over the years as finding your tone to me is priceless. Once your there now you can write and enjoy what you do. I'm not one to keep trying different pedals and keep switching them out. I found my tone in the TC Electronics pedals and I'm really cool with that.

Comment

There are a ton of people who like experimenting more than playing and practicing itself. I think if you learned what you like and what you don't like, or learn what you need/don't need, then you came out ahead. Just play and have fun.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  There are a ton of people who like experimenting more than playing and practicing itself. I think if you learned what you like and what you don't like, or learn what you need/don't need, then you came out ahead. Just play and have fun.
                  I totally agree. I like both: experimentation, and playing/practicing. My most experimental stuff never sees the light of day, it's more of a technical exercise for me to stretch out.
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has been through this saga. And now I can just relax and play.
                    I blame the Internet for starting me on the whole pedal flipping spree in the first place.

Comment

I'm a technician and I have this issue all the time. For some dumb ass reason I prefer to play with my gear then to play my gear. I'm trying to break the habit. I do it with my home audio equipment as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                        Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has been through this saga. And now I can just relax and play.
                        I blame the Internet for starting me on the whole pedal flipping spree in the first place.
                        Pedals SUCK and i'll tell you why....
                        Because they are amazingly additive. They are a cancer eating at your soul. You buy one, love it, then want another and another and so on and so forth. Then when you think you got exactly what you need and want, you see another one and another brand that looks interesting and the burning desire to want to try them is insane.
                        Its a madness thats amazingly hard to not get wrapped up in over and over again.

Comment

My New Years resolution is to play more and learn more songs, etc. I've got good chops, but I need to break out of the same old same old. To help ensure that I will do that, I just got an Exotic SL drive. That should keep my pedal GAS at bay for a while!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          1996 Fender Custom Shop Tele Jr #24 out of 25
                          Modified 1980's Kramer with classic cover 59n/59b
                          1991 Ibanez 540sltd with a JB in the bridge
                          Warmoth VW with a Custom in the bridge
                          USA Custom Guitars hollow strat with P90s
                          MIJ Fender Strat (1984 - 1987)

Peavey Transtube 212 Special, Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber +
                          Orange Micro Terror, Fender Pro Jr. (w/ Eminence Texas Heat)

Comment

Man, I've done this a time or two. And here I am again setting up a simple board with just my wireless receiver, an overdrive and pedal tuner. My phaser, flanger and tremolo will sit on the other board until called for. I'll get some because I can use them on a few songs in different sets and then realize that I don't really "need" them or they aren't working how I had planned or that song or songs aren't on the list anymore. I almost always have an overdrive or a booster. In the end, the less I have to tap dance with, the better it is.

Comment

its nice to have options but there is nothing better than a good guitar into a good amp. glad you took the trip but not surprised the old eq was still the winner

Comment

Working...
                              X