banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's talk about Chorus pedals. And other TC pedals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk about Chorus pedals. And other TC pedals.

Hello everyone,
    I recently switched from boss to TC electronics pedals. Overall I'm very happy with my tone. I am however not totally digging my Chorus pedal. I have all the normal size Tone Print models. TC released a special edition Chorus pedal in the Corona+. It's black instead of green and it look really nice.
    However I'm not totally happy with it. I'm so use to Boss Chorus pedals and Multi effects Chorus which to me was way more lush and full sounding. I can't seem to get this thing to sound like that. It's a super subtle chorus effect and if thats the way it is well then I'm probably gonna sell it and go back to Boss or try out some other Chorus pedals on the market.
    I use chorus a lot when I write clean stuff. I like how it sounds with a touch of reverb and most of the time a nice delay. Pedal order in the effects loop for those is Chorus>>>Delay>>>Reverb. Thats how I like it and all the different sound come though on their own very nicely. They don't get in the way of each other as I played around with placement and this works the best.
    I tried many tone prints but they are confusing to use. I don't know where to set the levels as some say all at 12 is what they where designed for and others say dial in your own way of that effect. I would like to start out with how it was made at the levels that where used to make such toneprint , try that out and then adjust to taste if necessary.

Side notes about the other Modulation pedals the Reverb is fantastic, I have the Holy Grail from TC and it's amazing. The Toneprints are killer and it's my favorite Reverb pedal I have ever used. I don't miss Boss here at all.
    The Delay I have is the Flashback by TC and it's good but in many ways I think my Boss DD-7 was better. I'm still trying to dial it in so it's there but in the back ground. It has a funny way of jumping to the front of the sound and then going away. The Boss I was able to keep back so when I let a note ring out, thats when you heard it, not while playing Chords and chugging. The Flashback you can hear it when chugging a lot. I tried to dial it down but then it's to down. I can't seem to find that sweet spot I like with it. The sound quality of the pedal is very nice and just as good as the Boss but it's the setup I'm having problems with.
    I swapped in and out my DD-7 and the DD-7 is just so easy to setup. I can dial it in in seconds where the TC I've been messing with it for months and can't find my spot. I use delay just about all the time.

One pedal I'm so happy with is the Sentry Noise gate. This is a better gate then the Boss NS-2 which was a good gate but added in some slight strange gating sounds. The TC is silent. I have no idea it's even on. It just does it's job and thats it. I love that pedal to death.

For drive pedals I have the Spark, Dark Matter and the Mojo Mojo. The Mojo Mojo just came off my board as I like it for some things but it doesn't get used as much as I thought it would. It has a more fuzzy sound then a tight distortion like OD. By itself it's ok at best for me but I like it used as a OD in front of my drive channel to overdrive the overdrive.
    The Spark by far is the very best OD Boost like pedal I ever owned. It's amazing to say the least. What a fantastic pedal, everything it does it does perfectly for me.
    The Dark Matter is My Marshall like tone. My amp is high gain and brutal and I can't dial it down to get nice warm OD to Distortion like tones for Classic Rock stuff like Bryan Adams , AC/DC , Aerosmith stuff. But the Dark Matter with the Spark in front of it is amazing. I was using the spark into the Dark Matter but found the Spark better suited after it. I get some awesome 80's metal tones with that setup. I use to use all 3 with the Mojo Mojo first but I removed it and like this setup better. Not to mention trying to retain the best overall sound quality out of my rig and that meant reducing the amount of pedals and patch chords which helped so much I was able to remove the BonaFide buffer I purchased to help retain my high end clarity and definition.

The Bonafide Buffer works great but it's not on my board. I don't need it anymore after reducing pedals and using all Mogami Gold cables. Man did that make a difference. I removed most of my Planet Waves pedal board build it yourself cables and that made a huge difference. I can't believe the tone suck I got out of their stuff. I love how nice they where, the connections are top notch and building all my cable to my lengths rule. But not when your tone suffers because of it. I now use Live wire 1/4 to 1/4 adapters between some of my pedals and Mogami Gold Patch cables where the adapters don't work. This combo cleaned up my sound and man does it sound damn exact when I bypass the entire board and go directly into the amp with a 10 foot chord. That was the entire goal when building my pedal board was to retain my original tone and then just off effects where I need. I don't run a bunch of stuff that I don't use and just have in case. Screw that I like simply and great tone over having a million different effects.
    This is why I now don't miss the GT-100 as it had every effect under the sun in it but at a tonal cost. I do miss the control part but I'm gonna fix that with a ES-8 switcher or something of that quality. From what I learned so far the Boss ES-8 is the best of the best out there. Nothing is better and at $699 retail, its affordable enough to justify it's cost especially for what it can do. It's flexibility is just like the GT-100 and maybe better but with much better sound quality.

Re: Let's talk about Chorus pedals. And other TC pedals.

I'd just use the Boss chorus if you still have it and like the sound. Also, the Toneprint editor would get you any chorus sound you want, if you spend some time learning what all of the parameters do.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

To Mincer's point, Why do you HAVE to have all pedals from one manufacturer?

When a tone print is loaded the current settings of the physical controls aren't set until you move them - i.e. A freshly loaded tone print is just as it was saved.

The delay style you're describing that is loud after a note, but quiet under a note is ducking delay - I believe on the Flashback, they term it Dynamic - so I would play around with that setting, though be ready to get into the Tone Print Editor to really fine-tune it with respect to threshold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the tc spark, great pedal, planning on getting the mini to use strictly as a boost after the od's, love the mid-boost feature on the fullsize for adding a transparent boost to cut through a mix. For your chorus, i passed on the corona and got an mxr analog chorus, amazing pedal with alot of tweaking ability. I didnt like the flashback though i wanted to, the x4 is awesome, but im a sucker for the good old carbon copy. Lastly the boss switcher is awesome from what ive seen, i did alot of looking for switchers myself but i stay on a low budget, try to anyway. I ended up with the Joyo Pxl-pro, awesome simple switcher, 8 loops, tuner out, 4 trigger outputs for amp channels or pedals with an external switch (i use the joyo d-seed delay, two channel delay). It works great, buffered bypass, and it was only $150.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I'd just use the Boss chorus if you still have it and like the sound. Also, the Toneprint editor would get you any chorus sound you want, if you spend some time learning what all of the parameters do.
          I'll have to do that. I have not plugged into the Toneprint editor yet.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
            To Mincer's point, Why do you HAVE to have all pedals from one manufacturer?

When a tone print is loaded the current settings of the physical controls aren't set until you move them - i.e. A freshly loaded tone print is just as it was saved.

The delay style you're describing that is loud after a note, but quiet under a note is ducking delay - I believe on the Flashback, they term it Dynamic - so I would play around with that setting, though be ready to get into the Tone Print Editor to really fine-tune it with respect to threshold.

I don't , I just started trying them out and really liked them.
            As far as the Delay , thanks for the advise, I gotta dig into the Tone print editors on these pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              I have the tc spark, great pedal, planning on getting the mini to use strictly as a boost after the od's, love the mid-boost feature on the fullsize for adding a transparent boost to cut through a mix. For your chorus, i passed on the corona and got an mxr analog chorus, amazing pedal with alot of tweaking ability. I didnt like the flashback though i wanted to, the x4 is awesome, but im a sucker for the good old carbon copy. Lastly the boss switcher is awesome from what ive seen, i did alot of looking for switchers myself but i stay on a low budget, try to anyway. I ended up with the Joyo Pxl-pro, awesome simple switcher, 8 loops, tuner out, 4 trigger outputs for amp channels or pedals with an external switch (i use the joyo d-seed delay, two channel delay). It works great, buffered bypass, and it was only $150.
              Intresting, I'll have to look that switcher up. Sounds to good to be true especially for that kind of money. Pretty killer man.

Comment

I will say, that the Tone Print editor can completely change the sound. Play with it while you also have the Boss plugged in, too, and see if you can replicate the sound. I think TC also provides a place for users to upload their own. Maybe someone already did the work for you.

Comment

I think it basically comes down to the Cornona+ just has a weak output. I have the effect cranked all the way up and you can barely hear the Chorus effect. The WET signal is very weak.
                  The Boss WET signal is up front and strong. When you turn the Corona on and off, you can barely tell.

Comment

I have to say, I watched some videos of this pedal, and it is nowhere near as pronounced as something like a Boss. It is probably editable in the Toneprint editor, but I would probably just opt for the Boss pedal. Have you tried the TC in stereo?

Comment

I had similar reaction to the TC Shaker Vibrato, it just wasn't inspiring. I just dropped a video of the new Boss chorus on your other thread. I think if that's been "home" for you, then there's no place like home!

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                        I think it basically comes down to the Cornona+ just has a weak output. I have the effect cranked all the way up and you can barely hear the Chorus effect. The WET signal is very weak.
                        The Boss WET signal is up front and strong. When you turn the Corona on and off, you can barely tell.
                        I remember that issue with the corona mentioned before. It seems that pedal is too subtle with the internal switch set to truebypass, when switched to buffered it gets more intense. That does sound nutty but try it out before giving up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                          I had similar reaction to the TC Shaker Vibrato, it just wasn't inspiring. I just dropped a video of the new Boss chorus on your other thread. I think if that's been "home" for you, then there's no place like home!

Yep got it and got it. You DA MAN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                            I remember that issue with the corona mentioned before. It seems that pedal is too subtle with the internal switch set to truebypass, when switched to buffered it gets more intense. That does sound nutty but try it out before giving up on it.
                            That has plenty of truth to it my man. I picked up the Boss WAZA Chorus and man it made everything sound much fuller and rich on my board. When I remove it the corona + falls on it's face. I have it in true bypass and if you switch it to Buffer it gets better but nothing like when I wire in the Waza. The Waza has a superior Buffer circuit. It's incredible how damn good this pedal is.
                            I started another thread about what is your favorite Chorus pedal. If you want go check that out one. I took a pic of it after I ripped apart my board LOL.

Comment

I have a corona and I do like it, but I also love really lush choruses. I've played with the toneprint editor but never bothered trying to replicate something I already had. I was more interested in exploring what it does that my other chorus (Visual Sound H2O V2) doesn't do. The subtle choruses have their uses.

Comment

Working...
                              X