banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wah and buffer placement on a Nano board? Buffer-mod a Crybaby Mini?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wah and buffer placement on a Nano board? Buffer-mod a Crybaby Mini?

Hey, I'm downsizing my setup as I'm off travelling in a month, starting with Australia.

My whole setup (to cover recording MacBook Pro, through to performing through large amps) fits onto a Pedaltrain Nano+.

The two main roles are tone-shaping for big chunky riffs (Spark and modded GE7) and big soundscapes (Trinity 2 reverb).

Obviously I'm missing some delay and only like beat-matched delay, so am toying with dropping the Ditto and adding a Source Audio Nemesis; or replacing the Trinity as well, with an Eventide H9.

Back to the start of the board..

I'd also like a wah, although feel comfortable placing this off the board.. I could easily get a Crybaby Mini Wah and power it from the TU3.

However, if I get an Eventide H9 (which has a tuner) I could also drop the Boss TU3 altogether (I'd like a TC Sentry noise-gate).

It'd then look like this.

All I'd need then, is a buffer..

Am I right in thinking these go in front of a wah? Bear in mind I have no intention of getting a fuzz pedal.

If so, could I add a buffer circuit (Area 51 make one) into my wah? Is that a good idea?

I note most modders seem to like switching the buffer on their full-size Crybaby to a true-bypass.. it seems strange, given I am looking at switching a TBP Crybaby Mini to buffered!

Any suggestions on getting the front of my pedalboard (wah and buffer) done in the neatest, smallest-footprint and simplest way, would be appreciated!

Cheers

Re: Wah and buffer placement on a Nano board? Buffer-mod a Crybaby Mini?

So you'll go Wah->Spark->GE7? I don't think you'll need a dedicated buffer as the GE7 is buffered.

H9 is super flexible and fun, and there are a few algorithms that are Delay+Reverb so I think that'll cover your bases.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      So you'll go Wah->Spark->GE7? I don't think you'll need a dedicated buffer as the GE7 is buffered.

H9 is super flexible and fun, and there are a few algorithms that are Delay+Reverb so I think that'll cover your bases.
      Hey, GE7 is in the FX loop and isn't always on!

Cheers

Comment

Buffers work even when its off. It's why the pedal wont pass signal without power either.

Why do you think you need a buffer?
        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
          Buffers work even when its off. It's why the pedal wont pass signal without power either.

Why do you think you need a buffer?
          I mean, the GE7 sits in the FX loop (when using an amp with an FX loop), which isn't always activated.

Also, my understanding is that it would be too late in the FX loop, if I haven't buffered the signal before it hits the amplifier.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

My routing is Wah, Spark, then amplifier..

..The GE7 onwards is in the FX loop!

So it's all about a pre-amplifier buffer.

Comment

Just leave the TU-3 on the board, it has a buffer as well. I would put the wah before any buffers if it is a TB wah. If it isn't TB, it should go after a buffer. Kinda of a catch 22, wahs work best when connected first in line from the guitar, but, if they aren't TB, they are some of the biggest tone suckers there are when they are off. Of course, that didn't bother Jimi, so go with what works for you.

Comment

Yeah Crybaby Mini (true bypass) straight into TU3 (and powered by TU3) is super-simple and elegant.

It's only the idea I might be able to get a noise-gate onto this board by losing the TU3, that makes me think of this..

..but it's starting to look very, very complicated to do that, versus my incredibly simple setup at present.

Comment

The Boss NS-2 in place of the TU3 will give you a buffer too. Although, honestly, on this simple of a setup, you probably don't really need a buffer. You only have 2 pedals in front of the amp if you have your Spark and wah, so if you aren't running insane cable lengths, you're probably fine.

Comment

Exactly...which brings me back to my question. Why do you think you need a buffer?
                    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                    X