Tell me about the Duncan 805 and how it compares to other TS's, plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about the Duncan 805 and how it compares to other TS's, plz

So I've been debating about getting a Duncan 805.

I already own a few TS style pedals. I like them all for several reasons, but I end up going back to my trusty TS808. My amps seem to like that one the best.

I like my TS808 the most because out of the ones I own it is the one that cuts the most low-end and boosts the most mids. It also has a nice polished character to the mids and highs, and it feels squishy with just the right amount of compression for my taste.

I wonder if the active EQ of the Duncan would allow me to further tailor the tone by boosting even more mids, and cutting even more bass, and if that would make it worth it?

Also, does the 805 blend the clean signal with the overdriven signal just like a traditional tube screamer does? I find that to be one of the reasons why TS's work so well as boosts.

And I've read the Duncan has more gain range... does that mean it has less gain at lower settings and more gain at higher settings or just more or less gain overall?

Also, how is it in terms of compression and dynamics?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-08-2017, 09:56 PM.

Re: Tell me about the Duncan 805 and how it compares to other TS's, plz

I will pick an 805 over any other TS overdrive-

The active EQ makes a huge difference. Restore missing bass! Tame the mid hump! Dial in the tone of the gain for your music- a single tone control won't do anymore.
    You get cleaner cleans with more overdrive: the gain knob has more range top and bottom.
    I can clone my TS5, TS7, and TS9 pedals with my 805. Clone them. But they can't get as clear of note separation. I can play chords with a maj7 in them! Going back to my TS9 sounds like a transistor radio- a lot of mids, and no bass. The 805 solves this, and if you want, you can get back to the old TS sound with a twist of the EQ knobs.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I don't have an 805, but I have a Wampler Clarksdale. (Three band EQ, with the Treble being the same control as a Tube Screamer "tone"....) It also has two clipping diode options.

I love it, being able to add bass, add or remove midrange and have a greater range of gain. The Duncan, Wampler and Way Huge Green Rhino all have various EQ options.

That being said, my all time favorite TS for my amp is a Fulldrive 2, even though it's not adjustable the stock EQ compliments the EQ of my amp perfectly.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I'm not saying that the various 'clones' discussed aren't worthy of consideration BUT, I never understand how someone makes what they consider a TS and then goes on to tell you how they've changed and improved it. To me, it's either a TS or it's not. Now, it may be TS-'like', but it's not a TS. Want to restore the 'lost' bass? Get rid of the mid-range hump? Then you're not looking for a TS. Plain and simple.

Comment

Dave, what's your experience using the 805 with a Strat and single coils? I have tried it with an SD-1 and I can't stand the shrill. I've EQ-ed it to elicit more bass but no luck.

Comment

i think the shrill from the sd1 comes from the asymmetric clipping. really works great into a driven amp but into a cleaner amp it can be strident depending on how much the gain is turned up. still the sd1 is a fine pedal for what it does. ive never tried the 805 but i assume that you can dial down the shrill with the treble control and still shape the over all tone with the other controls

Comment

Originally posted by NotCardio View Post
              I'm not saying that the various 'clones' discussed aren't worthy of consideration BUT, I never understand how someone makes what they consider a TS and then goes on to tell you how they've changed and improved it. To me, it's either a TS or it's not. Now, it may be TS-'like', but it's not a TS. Want to restore the 'lost' bass? Get rid of the mid-range hump? Then you're not looking for a TS. Plain and simple.
              In some senses I agree, but on the other hand we are all tone tweakers. For some guitars/amps/pickups you need a little more or less bass or a little more or less midrange. Since a wide array of overdrives are some version of a modded TS anyway, having those tweaks available is useful to me. As long as "noon" on the EQ and switches is stock TS, I find the extra controls useful.

Of course like I mentioned, my favorite is still the Fulldrive which is pretty close to a TS in vintage/standard mode.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                Dave, what's your experience using the 805 with a Strat and single coils? I have tried it with an SD-1 and I can't stand the shrill. I've EQ-ed it to elicit more bass but no luck.
                I wind up boosting the bass and mids a bit when I use my Strat. I am not a huge fan of a standard TS/Strat sound, so I go for something a little deeper, and a little less 'clucky'. I can get that out of an 805. The single tone knob won't do that for me on a TS9.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, dudes!

Also, I'm wondering... how does the 805 sound at 18V compared to 9?

Originally posted by NotCardio View Post
                  I love the TS's mid hump and bass rolloff, honestly. If I were to get the 805, I'd probably EQ it so that it rolls off even more bass and/or boosts more mids than my TS808, I think.
                  Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-10-2017, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I wonder now why I loved the TS Series for so many years now that I have the EQing available on the 805. I can record with it and really dial in a TS sound without the harshness...
                    sigpic

Comment

Active EQ rules on most things
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Whenever I plug into my TS7, I always say, 'Yeah, that's the sound...'
                        Until I compare it to an 805. The TS sounds like an AM radio with those mids. I like it when I first hear it, but then it eventually drives me crazy. The good news is I can replicate that sound with an 805 if I want to. I just don't anymore.

Comment

Hi,
                          Go with the 805, trust Mincer and the others on this.
                          Seymour makes great everything.
                          Steve B.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            I will pick an 805 over any other TS overdrive-
                            Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                            I don't have an 805, but I have a Wampler Clarksdale. (Three band EQ, with the Treble being the same control as a Tube Screamer "tone"....) It also has two clipping diode options.

I love it, being able to add bass, add or remove midrange and have a greater range of gain. The Duncan, Wampler and Way Huge Green Rhino all have various EQ options.
                            The 805 and the Clarksdale both have 3 bands of EQ mated to the TS clipping circuit. There are really 2 questions going on here. First is "how do these other overdrive sections (regardless of the EQ) compare to another specific Tube Screamer?" And to that, unfortunately is a matter of personal preference. The Clarksdale has 2 different clipping settings though, increasing the odds that you'd bond with at least one of them.

They're both different chips, but it's to my understanding that neither of them are a "4558" which is often considered the standard TS9 chip.

Now, moving on to the EQ section, it's my understanding that the 805 uses a 3-band EQ, while the Clarksdale is the Tube Screamer tone control for Treble, and an active Midrange and Bass.

I've had the chance to A/B both side by side. As a player I preferred the Clarksdale but your mileage may vary.
                            Last edited by frankfalbo; 02-23-2017, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X