Inverted boost pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverted boost pedal

This might sound stupid as all hell, but you could easily build a volume cutting pedal using just an enclosure, two jacks and a pot. Connect it, turn it down and turn your amp up to compensate. Turn it off again and your signal would be louder.

But no one does that, so I guess there's a reason for it. Why?
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Re: Inverted boost pedal

It is doable. My custom Whitney amp has Modern and Vintage gain stages, that cascade - with the Modern cutting gain/volume at its lower end, and boosting at its upper end (with unity being around 6 on the dial).

The reason it's less prevalent is that, typically, people are looking to push the front end with pedals, saturating/compressing the pre-amp - using a variety of gain pedals, you can get several flavours out of one pre-amp - with a "cut pedal", you're only ever subtracting from the one pre-amp, so there's only one place to go.

This is very similar to riding the volume control on your guitar, in essence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Inverted boost pedal

Originally posted by Coma View Post
      This might sound stupid as all hell, but you could easily build a volume cutting pedal using just an enclosure, two jacks and a pot. Connect it, turn it down and turn your amp up to compensate. Turn it off again and your signal would be louder.

But no one does that, so I guess there's a reason for it. Why?

Some people do it. The most notable is the EHX Signal Pad.

Many people use volume pedals that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Blille; 02-13-2017, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Soldano Soundman Eliminator.
        “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Paul Gilbert used the HBE Detox for just that.

Comment

Both the Xotic RC Booster and the TC Electronic Spark Booster can be used for this. You turn the volume beneath unity and turn the brightness up a touch so that when the pedal is active your amp is being driven LESS and thus has less gain. I think someone also produces an 'Underdrive' with this effect as well.
            Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
            I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
            Andrew - None

Comment

I believe Wampler had the Underdrive for a while.

Doing it with a simple pot halves the resistance to ground with your volume pot. If you always want to do this (to get a preset "rhythm tone") then you could double your current volume pot (500k -> 1M) and use the same in the box to compensate.

If you knew your priest volume it's a good idea.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post
                Both the Xotic RC Booster and the TC Electronic Spark Booster can be used for this. You turn the volume beneath unity and turn the brightness up a touch so that when the pedal is active your amp is being driven LESS and thus has less gain. I think someone also produces an 'Underdrive' with this effect as well.
                And the Dunlop Echoplex pre-amp.

I often use it as a "clean-er" pedal as it beefs up lows and highs so you don't lose any punch or clarity like rolling off the volume on the guitar. At a certain point, no volume, but you CAN roll down a fair amount from unity.
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

ive used timmy to do this with my tweed amps. set the amp so its breathing fire and step on the pedal to clean it up. works well but with those amps, i find it almost unnecessary since they clean up so well

Comment

Yes, people have been doing this with overdrive pedals for years. You don't hear about it as much, because most guitarists want MORE. LESS isn't sexy.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

If you knew your priest volume it's a good idea.
                        Of course if you're talking Painkiller vs Defenders......
                        :P
                        Originally posted by Brown Note
                        I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                        My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                          I get the "common sense" post, but not the same. As I mentioned in post #8.
                          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                            Of course if you're talking Painkiller vs Defenders......
                            :P
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The problem with attenuating the signal is you are applying resistance which filters and darkens the tone. There's better technology now for adding clean gain than clean attenuation.

Comment

Working...
                              X