Pedal Order, board 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal Order, board 2?

Since Im finding alot of probs with my main board order, and with alot of help, Im getting it sorted out. The Biggest issue with that one is/was configuring things thru and around the Noise Gate.

On board 2, there will be NO Noise gate, so things will be pretty much more direct on this one. There will be 2 twists tho... 1) I will have one Distortion pedal. Because A) I like and want to use that pedal, and B) In case I have that board and not board A, I will still have a dirt pedal.

Twist 2... If I run both boards, I would assume I can chain all the effects into the loop with my color effects on primary board, except the Dist pedal...

On board 2, Im running:

ADA Flanger
    MXR Flanger
    Dunlop Trem
    MXR Phase 90
    Boss OC2 Octave
    PV Chorus

And a Rattattack (Rat clone)

Suggestions??
    Im assuming order wont make much diff, aside from the Rattattack.
    Thanks!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Pedal Order, board 2?

For my preferences (and it's all opinion based on preference), I have blocks (with variety of pedals, depending on my mood) in order as:

Tone prep (EP Boost, smoothing compressor) -into-
    Envelope filter (Wah, Phase, Flanger, Vibe) -into-
    Dirt (OD then Distortion) -into-
    Delays (Tape, Analogue) -into-
    Amp front end -into-
    (Loop) Compressor - Chorus - EQ - Digital Delays - Reverb - Tremolo (Loop) -into-
    Power amp

If I'm playing an amp without a loop I'll chain all of it into the front end of the amp and just ride the presence control on the amp.

The only pedal I don't, and have never, used is an octave (never got around to it) - I suspect it would be early in the chain, likely as a shaper before hitting the dirt boxes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Pedal Order, board 2?

[QUOTE=VinceT;4073953
      The only pedal I don't, and have never, used is an octave (never got around to it) - I suspect it would be early in the chain, likely as a shaper before hitting the dirt boxes.
      [/QUOTE]

Yes, an analog octaver like the OC2 needs to live before dirt (and after comp) to have better tracking. It will lose it and do weird sounds otherwise (that you may like or not ). It's not like a POG that you can put anywhere.

Comment

With those pedals, I would run the OC2 first and the chorus last (although no real specific reason on the chorus), then, honestly I would experiment with the phase and flange pedals before and after the dirt. I would also run that board into the front end of the amp, although the chorus would work well in the loop, but hardly worth the cables for 1 pedal.

Comment

Boss OC2 Octave - for clear signal tracking
          ADA Flanger - because Flange > Dirt ≠ Dirt > Flange
          Rattattack - Dirt up front
          MXR Flanger - because Flange > Dirt ≠ Dirt > Flange
          MXR Phase 90 - swirl later
          PV Chorus - swirl later
          Dunlop Trem - volume last, and also a semi-swirl IMO...

Im assuming order wont make much diff, aside from the Rattattack.
          Thanks![/QUOTE]
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Ok, I'll say OC-2 first, Tremolo last. Then literally fire up the rig at the next opportunity and try the flangers, phaser and chorus before and after the Rat. I always like phaser before dirt, but I like Chorus and Flanger before and after dirt depending on what I'm doing. (Maybe the MXRs before a la Eddie and the ADA/Chorus after?)

I still kind of don't understand your board 1 vs board 2 though. Is this the auxiliary one and the other is always with you?
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

thanks guys!! Gets alil confusing, so thats why I asked. my "main" board will be used primarily, and this one either for fun (if I want some extra flavors), if I get to the point I start recording, OR.. If I am playing somewhere and my main board is in use elsewhere. This chain will def go in the front end, as some of my main board will go in the loop if both are used together.

** I used to have one HUGE board with every one of my pedals on it, but was murder on my back and just stupid overkill.... So built two smaller boards with the pedals I will actually use.

Also, to touch on what Devastone said, will run the chorus last. I have chorus on my main board. only have it on this one as this chorus pedal sounds real good, AND as said prev, if I only have this board with me, Ill still have chorus option
              Last edited by BloodRose; 03-02-2017, 08:24 PM.
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

It's a juggling act sometimes. I have my vibrato last because of the stereo outs and that particular effect in stereo is unreal. I'm not big on OD/Dist but early in the chain.

I never can decide where I want the tape delay and Reverb. I'm constantly changing that up. Then toss a flanger and a phaser into the equation. I'm still not 100% happy with it all.

On some stuff I like the flanger running into the phaser and both on. Really trippy stuff.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                  Ok, I'll say OC-2 first, Tremolo last. Then literally fire up the rig at the next opportunity and try the flangers, phaser and chorus before and after the Rat. I always like phaser before dirt, but I like Chorus and Flanger before and after dirt depending on what I'm doing. (Maybe the MXRs before a la Eddie and the ADA/Chorus after?)

I still kind of don't understand your board 1 vs board 2 though. Is this the auxiliary one and the other is always with you?

Yes! My board one is my main board. Covers most bases and compact enough. Always with. (If Im using effects) Board 2 are effects I also really like, but dont need them all the time, so will use only if desired, or if I need a spare board.

Also agree (and it looks like a common recommendation) to put one flanger before and one aft the dist.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                  X