NS-2 and FX loop setup help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS-2 and FX loop setup help.

hi. i currently use the following setup with my NS2 and marshall studio 15 (no fx loop):
    GUITAR-WAH-NS2 input-NS2 send-EQ-COMPRESSION-OD-NS2 return-NS2 output-REVERB-CHORUS-DELAY-AMP
    i'm planning on getting an amp with a series fx loop. can i have some opinions on how to arrange these pedals using an fx loop? i see many setups in my searches but i'm not sure which is best.
    also, in the mean time, can i get a critique with explanations on my current arrangement if it's suboptimal? fyi the EQ is there cause i have it, but i don't use it, so i'm not sure if it's a good spot if i do want to use it; and i'd swear the wah even in 100% bypass is a tone sanguisuge, so i typically take it out of the loop but i'm not sure if it's the perfect spot regardless.
    thanks!

Keep the ns and distortions before the amp and only put the delays and reverbs in the effects loop, assuming the loop levels are correct for the devices. I would have the compression after the od just to get it closer to an amp sound, and gave the reverb last.
    Last edited by beaubrummels; 02-25-2017, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Re: NS-2 and FX loop setup help.

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      Keep the ns and distortions before the amp and only put the delays and reverbs in the effects loop, assuming the loop levels are correct for the devices. I would have the compression after the od just to get it closer to an amp sound, and gave the reverb last.
      you mean guitar-ns2 in-ns2 send-OD-compression-amp-fx loop out-reverb-chorus-delay-ns2 return-ns2 output-fx loop in
      do you mean like that? or no?
      also, what about the EQ and wah?
      thanks

Comment

If it were me, I'd do it like this:

GUITAR
        NS2 input
        NS2 send
        OD
        COMPRESSION
        CHORUS
        EQ
        WAH
        NS2 return
        NS2 output
        DELAY
        REVERB
        AMP

And if the if wah were too strong that way, I'd move it before the od. I'd also play with EQ before/after the chorus or even after the NS2 output to see where it worked best. But if you don't use the EQ, why have it in the chain? It's might add noise unless it's true bypass.

Comment

GUITAR
          NS2 input
          NS2 send
          OD
          COMPRESSION
          CHORUS
          EQ
          WAH
          NS2 return
          NS2 output
          DELAY
          REVERB
          AMP

And if the if wah were too strong that way, I'd move it before the od. I'd also play with EQ before/after the chorus or even after the NS2 output to see where it worked best. But if you don't use the EQ, why have it in the chain? It's might add noise unless it's true bypass.
          thanks man

Comment

deleted to quote

Comment

GUITAR
              NS2 input
              NS2 send
              OD
              COMPRESSION
              CHORUS
              EQ
              WAH
              NS2 return
              NS2 output
              DELAY
              REVERB
              AMP

that's without the fx loop. how would you do it with the amp fx loop?

Comment

can anyone explain why my pedal chain setup sounds better through a dsl5c when NOT incorporating the amp fx loop? and the ns2 noise reduction works when NOT using the fx loop as well; no noise reduction when using the fx loop.
                hmm.

Comment

Probably because what is before the fx loop has (pre)amplified some of the noise. Maybe other guys have ways of making fx loops work, but I would never use the loop on an amp. Someone in the industry once told me, "Amps are engineered to drive speaker signals, not run effects or line outs. Those jacks are only on there as a checklist item to say it has it so you'll buy it, not so you'll actually use it." That said, the only thing I've ever put in an amp fx loop that worked and sounded good and didn't add noise was a reverb.

Comment

i got skunked on the fx loop. the ns2 manual doesn't mention it but various Internet sources tout the holy grail like noise suppression and tone improvements achieved by incorporating it into your set up using the effects loop. so I bought an amp very specifically because it had an effect loop, but after trying every possible combination of pedal and guitar arrangement using the ns2 with or without the effects loop I can tell you on unequivocally that noise is suppressed best and tone is best when not using the effects loop. I'm sure many people would swear to the opposite but that is my determination. it might be the amp. who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by cato View Post
                      i got skunked on the fx loop. the ns2 manual doesn't mention it but various Internet sources tout the holy grail like noise suppression and tone improvements achieved by incorporating it into your set up using the effects loop. so I bought an amp very specifically because it had an effect loop, but after trying every possible combination of pedal and guitar arrangement using the ns2 with or without the effects loop I can tell you on unequivocally that noise is suppressed best and tone is best when not using the effects loop. I'm sure many people would swear to the opposite but that is my determination. it might be the amp. who knows.
                      My experience is the exact opposite, but as long as you get something useful out of it, s'all good.
                      --------------------------------------------------------
                      1973 Aria 551
                      1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                      1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                      1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                      1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                      2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Not all loops are created equal, some are hot line level signals that are probably more than the Boss can deal with, others have a switch to go between line level and instrument level, some have a level pot to vary between the 2 extremes, and some have send and return level pots. So, especially using a Boss pedal that is meant for instrument level, it's really going to depend on the signal level of the loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                          My experience is the exact opposite, but as long as you get something useful out of it, s'all good.
                          true. it clearly has its application in theory; and in practice for some who find it works for them. after getting frustrated by poor results i ran everything they the front like i used to with my studio 15 - which has no loop - and the sound is way i like it. I could try running reverb, chorus and delay through the loop and the dirty stuff through the ns2 in the front and see how that goes. i lost track of all the setups i tried so i may have tried that already but I'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                            Not all loops are created equal, some are hot line level signals that are probably more than the Boss can deal with, others have a switch to go between line level and instrument level, some have a level pot to vary between the 2 extremes, and some have send and return level pots. So, especially using a Boss pedal that is meant for instrument level, it's really going to depend on the signal level of the loop.
                            interesting. yeah all my pedals are boss and the amps loop is series with no controls. even though some pedals don't work well with it, maybe a parallel loop with controls would allow me to get better sound. who knows. i'm sure not gonna buy another amp to test the theory though!

Comment

It's not about series and parallel, it's about how hot the signal is. I was talking about controls to adjust the signal level, not the blend on a parallel loop, 2 different things.

Comment

Working...
                              X