banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cab sound from pedalboard? (TC Electronic Wiretap content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cab sound from pedalboard? (TC Electronic Wiretap content)

I recently got a TC Electronic Wiretap pedal, which has been a game changer for me.

Before, I used to stick my phone in front of my amp to record riffs. That's clumsy, and, of course, the "mic placement" is different each time.

Now I just hit the Wiretap with my foot, and, bam, I've recorded the riff. No messing with a phone or computer or whatnot to record. It's like old-school "punch in with a footswitch" recording. It's so nice to get an idea and then just record it without taking my hands off my guitar.

The catch is, the Wiretap just records what comes before it in the signal chain. This isn't a problem if you're just listening to it on one's pedalboard:

Guitar > Drive Pedals > Wiretap > Amp

But if I want to transfer what the Wiretap recorded to a DAW (or anywhere outside my amp), I have to re-amp the recording. The recorded tone by itself is s*** - it's the same fuzzy harshness that you get from recording direct from most amps, i.e., you just get the amp sound and no cab sound.

So I'm wondering how to get a nice amp (or drive pedals) + cab sound into the Wiretap so I don't have to re-amp the recording with software if I want to export the recording somewhere else.

Right now I can think of 3 solutions:

1. AMT Legend II series - "Out Cab Sim" output goes to Wiretap, "Drive" output goes to amp.
    2. Tech 21 Character series - These have amp/cab simulation built in, to my understanding, so then I should use their Power Engine speaker and not my amp, right?
    3. Radial Direct Drive - Cab sim output to Wiretap, Thru output goes to amp. I'm unsure of this solution b/c the Direct Drive is billed as an "amp simulator" and I don't need amp simulation per se, as my drive pedals are acting as my preamp. So I don't know if this will unnecessarily color my recorded tone.

So I'm thinking AMT Legend II series (specifically M2, I'm seeking Marshall tones) - am I thinking along the right lines here?

Re: Cab sound from pedalboard? (TC Electronic Wiretap content)

Seems like the AMT or Radial would do the job, but it also seems like a lot of work. If you're using dirt pedals for all of your gain, and amp sim pedals with cab sim outputs for the sake of increasing a riff recording pedal's quality, you could achieve similar results with a good computer and DAW.

I only use tube amps and analog pedals so when i record i throw an SM57 in front of the cab and run it to an interface ... but I'd download some amp sims for the DAW before i plugged a bunch of overdrive pedals into an amp & cab sim pedal then into a digital recording pedal then into a tube amp that isn't cranked enough to do what it's supposed to.

I would use the Wiretap as a sketch pad and reamp the "keepers" as necessary before buying more pedals... or sell all of the pedals and invest in good software. And i never, ever suggest the digital option...
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Does your amp have an effects loop? If so, try the Wiretap in there rather than into the front of the amp. That way, it's recording the preamp out. You can split the loop as you're suggesting, so that preamp goes into return and the other leg goes to cab-sim/wiretap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Two Notes Torpedo c.a.b.?

Comment

I think splitting the signal, and sending one part to your amp while another signal to the Wiretap/amp sim/etc might be a way to do it. Still clumsy, but it might result in something that works. I like the Tech 21 stuff, and it sounds great.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
            This was my thought. I believe the C.A.B. has a line out to go to your recording and a separate unaffected output to run to your amp. Use the Torpedo Live as a loadbox / speaker simulator at church, but also use the power amp simulation as a backup if my amp burns a tube at a gig.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
              Seems like the AMT or Radial would do the job, but it also seems like a lot of work. If you're using dirt pedals for all of your gain, and amp sim pedals with cab sim outputs for the sake of increasing a riff recording pedal's quality, you could achieve similar results with a good computer and DAW.

I would use the Wiretap as a sketch pad and reamp the "keepers" as necessary before buying more pedals... or sell all of the pedals and invest in good software.
              Actually, that's what I've been doing - reamp the Wiretap recordings in a DAW with AmpliTube. And I do get pretty good results.

But I want to cut the computer out of the equation as much as possible, and only work in a computer when I get to arranging/mixing.

Right now my main desire to share the riffs with other people. It is currently very tedious to have to go to my DAW and reamp and render each riff individually.

If I could get an amp + cab sound into the Wiretap, I can share recordings directly from the Wiretap. I don't mind trying a few pedals b/c I would very much like to avoid the computer as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                Does your amp have an effects loop? If so, try the Wiretap in there rather than into the front of the amp. That way, it's recording the preamp out. You can split the loop as you're suggesting, so that preamp goes into return and the other leg goes to cab-sim/wiretap.
                This is an interesting suggestion. But I think putting the Wiretap in the effects loop would yield the same results as what I have now.

I have drive pedals going into a clean amp, so effectively my pedals are my preamp. Whether it's in the effects loop or in front of the amp, a cab sim is still necessary before the Wiretap.

I do appreciate the suggestion, though. If I were getting drive from the amp preamp, then, yes, the Wiretap should go in the effects loop.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                  This product is new to me, so I appreciate the suggestion.

It looks to have only in and out (no splitting capability), so I think it would be best going either straight to recording interface or FOH.

So, then, how to monitor from it? Assuming I don't want a computer on (see my above comment), then maybe I'd run into a FRFR speaker or Tech 21 Power Engine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by stratguy23 View Post
                    This is an interesting suggestion. But I think putting the Wiretap in the effects loop would yield the same results as what I have now.

I have drive pedals going into a clean amp, so effectively my pedals are my preamp. Whether it's in the effects loop or in front of the amp, a cab sim is still necessary before the Wiretap.

I do appreciate the suggestion, though. If I were getting drive from the amp preamp, then, yes, the Wiretap should go in the effects loop.
                    You're welcome - I was assuming pre-amp gain was in the equation too. I use my Ditto looper in the effects loop for this reason.

I didn't re-read all suggestions, but another option could be the Mesa Cab Clone, which has the direct out?

Comment

Originally posted by stratguy23 View Post
                      This product is new to me, so I appreciate the suggestion.

It looks to have only in and out (no splitting capability), so I think it would be best going either straight to recording interface or FOH.

So, then, how to monitor from it? Assuming I don't want a computer on (see my above comment), then maybe I'd run into a FRFR speaker or Tech 21 Power Engine or something.
                      It's basically just a cab simulator for people that use a power amp and preamp pedals for their sound. You would just put it after your drive pedal, and before your wiretap pedal. That way it would give you the cab simulation before your wiretap pedal. There's plenty of youtube videos of it.
                      Last edited by JOLLY; 03-30-2017, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Find what you are looking for at Guitar Center with the GuitarCenter.com site map. Browse by product, brand and more

This.
                        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

This will do it.

The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Wow, you guys are great. No shortage of solutions here! We live in a great time for gear.

The Fryette Valvulator looks to be the most all-in-one solution. I'm familiar with it, as I gave it a pretty thorough go at NAMM. If I got this, I would actually probably ditch the Wiretap, since the Wiretap is really meant to be on a pedalboard. I don't know if it would work like a standalone audio recorder and be operational with audio running only into it and not out of it. The Valvulator Cab + Sim output would then go straight into a DAW or audio recorder, with the regular amp output going to the cab. This is a very simple and elegant solution, I admit. I'd just have to face how attached I am to the footswitchable recording ease of the Wiretap.

The AMT Pangaea looks awesome, but is more kit than I need. I don't want to be in the weeds dealing with IRs. I just need a run-of-the-mill cab sim.

The Radial Direct Drive is the front runner for me right now because it has a "Combo" setting that is supposedly Fender-like. My amp, a Roland Blues Cube Hot, is Fender-voiced, so theoretically what I send through the Direct Drive and what I hear from my amp is same/similar. That's important because I want the recording to match, more or less, what I'm hearing.

I'll likely give the Direct Drive a go in the next few weeks and report back.

Comment

CabDryVR might indeed do the trick, because it has 2 outputs. one with cab sim and one dry.

The sims are all 2x12 or 4x12 except for a 1x8, so I'm not sure if I'd get a recording that sounds like my pedalboard through my Fender-voiced amp.

But this may be worth a try. The H&K Red Box technically could also be a solution, although to my understanding it only offers a 4x12 sim, specifically the actual sound of the cabinet as opposed to the sound a mic'ed cabinet.

Comment

Working...
                              X