help with distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with distortion

I have a small issue. I am trying to get a decent metal/hard rock sound out of my pedal that I can switch to from a decent clean. The pedal I have is a Behringer HD300. I am using a Schecter c6 plus with stock pick ups tuned to drop d or c and a line 6 spider 5 30 watt. Any suggestions on settings for the pedal/amp?

Re: help with distortion

You summed up the problem in one word: Behringer.

I recommend throwing the unit out the window. If it still functions light it on fire. Then go and buy quality equipment.

Comment

The problem with that is money. I technically didn't even buy it. I got it using points I earned on a website.

Comment

Originally posted by undeadstrife View Post
        The problem with that is money. I technically didn't even buy it. I got it using points I earned on a website.
        Ah. Well I hate to say it but that Spider isn't doing you any favors either. Some of my students have them and they are brittle and fizzy sounding. Not sure what to tell you except save your pennies.

Comment

Dial in a clean sound first. Then dial in the dirt. Don't use your eyes use your ears. That should help in getting the best sound out of what you have until you can upgrade.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

If I had the pennies to save I would. As of right now, I am just trying to get the best sound out of what I have.

Comment

Originally posted by undeadstrife View Post
              If I had the pennies to save I would. As of right now, I am just trying to get the best sound out of what I have.
              What demanic said is good advice then.

Comment

I haven't used the pedal, but just watched this vid:

Here's how I would build on Demanic's suggestion.

1) get your amp where you want it (pedal off)

2) on pedal, set Dist to OFF, set Tone and Bottom to noon, set level to unity or a little above (so there's not much more than a small gain in volume when you switch pedal in) - the reason for this is so that you don't just boost the amp channel and mistake that for the pedal

3) turn pedal on, adjust Gain/Boost until you have a sound that works for you (ears, not eyes)

4) readjust level all the time doing 3 so that the on/off volume stays roughly the same

5) leaving all other controls the same, dial back Tone to 0 then while playing/listening, sweep through Tone until it begins to make a difference - find the sweet spot (just enough) - leave that pot right there

6) Now, repeat 5 but with the Bottom control

7) keep checking on/off volume levels

8) Once you've done all that, sweep the Gain/Boost pot again, find the sweet spot that gives you a standalone tone that you would use on its own.

9) Now, bring in the Distortion pot, sweep it up and down until your ears hear the right amount of saturation.

10) When you get the Dist to the sweet spot, revisit the Tone knob (less, if it's turned into a hive of angry bees; more, if it's got less distinct)

11) Finally, you get to adjust the Level of the pedal compared to your clean tone so that it balances - distortions (especially heavy distortions) generally have to be louder than your clean tone when switching between, because our ears mistake lack of fidelity for reduced volume.

This method will get you to the point where the pedal works for you as best as it's going to be able to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

You know, I used a terrible (clean) amp for years, with no pedals, so I feel for you. I wish every young player had at least acceptable gear to start on, but I know that's not always the case. Some of my students have appalling gear, and they know it. I try to help them out when I can, but I promise, it will get better.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've never used the Spyder 5, but in my experience all the other ones take pedals horribly. For example, you setup a classic combo, say Tube Screamer into a Deluxe Reverb model and when you hit the pedal, splat, it all falls apart. That goes doubly for adding pedals over anything with modeled amp gain.

The good thing is that they include a ton of options, like hold a button, rotate a knob and the internal model of a Tube Screamer or Rat is added. Those work decently well. So, I'd get the floor switch that allows you to have multiple presets, then read the manual to find out how to engage all the other features. Once you are familiar with the way the amp really works, use the advice above to get your tone.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I'd sell that stuff... get a good metal amp - like a marshall MD combo or a Peavey bandit. With a foot switch, you should be able to pick from clean to dirt on the amp. Each amp should cost less than $100 used.

Comment

Working...
                      X