Tumnus overdrive or Klon ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tumnus overdrive or Klon ...

I've been offered a Wampler Tumnus overdrive in exchange for my Weeboh JTM drive... I have a Weehbo JCM drive and have not been playing the JTM much since I got it. I feel it too bright, gritty, harsh, and lacks bottom end. The thing is I may well be completely wrong. I restarted guitar after some years from my teen days when I had totally bad taste in these things, and I am learning tone just new. So I may discover it is awesome six months from now who knows. Is having a Klon clone or Klon type pedal a good idea? They say it is real good for boosting a tube amp. But well, what does it do that any other overdrive won't do as good? I need to answer this guy about the exchange pretty fast I believe, so I am here. Thanks in advance

Re: Tumnus overdrive or Klon ...

The Klon circuit is unique to most other Overdrives since it has a true parallel path clean tone. (With gain all the way down it becomes something close to a clean boost) Then you can roll in some breakup with the gain knob. The reviews have been glowing for the Tumnus, it has a little more bottom end than a standard Klon clone, which players seem to like. It has been used to boost a tube amp or another Overdrive, as a low gain rhythm sound, as an always-on tone sweetener like an EP Boost, and as a solo boost after other drives.

Players that like it see it as a jack of all trades utility pedal. It might be worth checking out.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks gentlemen... sounds like it is worth a try or maybe it is plain good to have one in any case...

Comment

The Tumnus is a good pedal that can boost an amp or even a quality pedal like the JCM Drive. FWIW, I found the JTM Drive to be best used as a clean-mildly overdriven pedal. Just be sure you don't lose out on the trade. Weehbos are highly expensive new. If you got it used, go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Useful info thanks a lot. I observe The Wamplers are on a par with Weehbos pricewise where I am located though. I am buying my things from German dealers.

Comment

Klon this and that...Timmy
            That is a lowgain pedal that sounds just as good!
            And you can adjust bottom and highs.

Comment

Timmy is great as well.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

yep. big timmy fan. the fact that the bass control is pre gain and treble is post gain help make it very musical sounding

Comment

Originally posted by stupendous silly View Post
                  Useful info thanks a lot. I observe The Wamplers are on a par with Weehbos pricewise where I am located though. I am buying my things from German dealers.
                  Oh okay. That makes sense. The Weehbos here run for about $279+ new. I always buy them used. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just so you know gentlemen , I also have a Maxon 808 and Xotic BB for overdrive jobs...

Comment

I've compared the Tumnus to MANY different drives and it's one of the few that sounds amazing from completely clean to gain near full up. Whether pushing/tightening a gain channel (how most use it) or running gain up into a clean amp both yield great results. The small footprint makes a nice feature as well. Just another top shelf pedal from Brian!

Comment

Did you end up getting the tumnus? Do you like it?

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst View Post
                          Did you end up getting the tumnus? Do you like it?
                          I took out the JTM from the box, plugged it in... and well it has a much clearer and open sound than the JCM drive, nice... and I have shifted to a different amp in the meantime, and it doesn't sound as harsh as it used to.. my problem with it is that it does not even reach AC/DC levels of gain. I checked out Brett Kingman's demo again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyOlQTrNcdE ... from 1.28 he is going into a totally clean amp and he is getting plenty of gain, more than I ever do. So I am still lingering, but the guy really wants the JTM so I think I still can exchange if I decide to.

Comment

So... Have you received the Tumnus? If so, how do you like it so far? I am about to buy one as well. I used to have the Weehbo JCM pedal but sold it due to amp-pedal mismatch.

Comment

Originally posted by IronyMan View Post
                              So... Have you received the Tumnus? If so, how do you like it so far? I am about to buy one as well. I used to have the Weehbo JCM pedal but sold it due to amp-pedal mismatch.
                              I didn't get the Tumnus,ultimately I felt I disliked the big bottom-end I hear from Tumnus over other Klons in demos. Also I got better results out of the JTM with a clean boost when I minimized the bass input. My limited observation is that Tumnus might be better as a stand-alone pedal over other Klon-types, but not necessarily the best booster with that big bass it has. That stands to be confirmed by users of multiple klon-type pedals though.

Comment

Working...
                              X