banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverb vs. tape delay vs. digital delay etc. etc....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverb vs. tape delay vs. digital delay etc. etc....

Hey guys, I'm currently looking for a delay pedal for my rig. A lot of the pedals I've been looking at have different types of delay like tape, digital, reverb, echo, etc., etc...

Was hoping some of you could help define the differences in types of delays so that I can make a more informed selection.

I'm kind of looking at delays like the Keeley Super Mod and Empress Tape Delay for their multi-functionality and small delays like the SD Vapor Trail and EHX Memory Boy for their simplicity. What are your thoughts on these?

Thanx!
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
    DON'TGETMADBRO

Re: Reverb vs. tape delay vs. digital delay etc. etc....

If you're at the start of your delay journey (and it IS a journey!), I would strongly suggest looking at pedals that give you an option to try flavors of delay.

For my $$$, there's nothing better than the TC Flashback to give you a GREAT taste of each delay type, so that you can figure out which type fits your playing style, rig and muse.

Then, once you've settled on a delay type that says YOU, you can look at what specific pedal will best fit the bill.

In my delay journey, I learned that both dig and analog delays worked for me, but that tape delay was my "thing". I now use a Strymon El Capistan dTape for the majority of what I do, and a Flashback X4 for odder presets (reverse delays, etc.) and general analog/ digital delays.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

One pedal that definitely warrants mention is Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master - it can do reverb and delay from subtle to massive. Great fun.

Comment

And spend a lot of time with these guys http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...hiKyHj-oRxvff9

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
          And spend a lot of time with these guys http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...hiKyHj-oRxvff9

My thoughts exactly.

You may want to buy a not expensive "do it all" pedal like the flashback and then buy "the real thing" of the patches you like the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Blille; 07-24-2017, 10:54 PM.

Comment

First, do you want an analog delay, which is warm repeats that have a watery chorus of them? Analog delays have shorter times, usually don't have tap-tempo, but sit in a mix great. A digital delay will have longer echoes, tap temp, and a lot of control over your delay times' tone. There is a ton of overlap here, btw. Many digital delays can mimic analog ones.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              First, do you want an analog delay, which is warm repeats that have a watery chorus of them? Analog delays have shorter times, usually don't have tap-tempo, but sit in a mix great. A digital delay will have longer echoes, tap temp, and a lot of control over your delay times' tone. There is a ton of overlap here, btw. Many digital delays can mimic analog ones.
              Thanks for your reply.

I was somewhat confused or overwhelmed with the different types of delay out there, but I guess I'm leaning more towards a digital type delay as I'm trying to achieve multiple types of delay:

1. a stutter type effect of delay
              2. a double or twin guitar type delay
              3. a U2 'The Edge' type delay
              4. a delay to thicken rhythm and lead tone

(not all at the same time of course)
              If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
              DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Originally posted by lex666 View Post
                Aw, what's the fun in that?!
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I was somewhat confused or overwhelmed with the different types of delay out there, but I guess I'm leaning more towards a digital type delay as I'm trying to achieve multiple types of delay:

It seems like all of that could be done with an analog delay. You might have an easier time syncing the Edge stuff to a tap tempo for each song (and there is usually a dotted either setting on digital delays), but his iconic tones were all done with analog delays.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

Mincer' right about Edge's signature delays. The more I've read this thread, the more I recommend the TC Flashback, so you can really get to know each flavor.

Comment

Which iconic Edge tones are we referring to? The Unforgettable Fire was a Roland SDE3000, while The Joshua Tree was a TC2290; both of which are early digital units.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                        Which iconic Edge tones are we referring to? The Unforgettable Fire was a Roland SDE3000, while The Joshua Tree was a TC2290; both of which are early digital units.
                        How about the EHX Deluxe Memory Man and the Korg SDD-3000?

He needs them all

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                          How about the EHX Deluxe Memory Man and the Korg SDD-3000?

He needs them all

I forgot about the Korg, and I'm pretty sure he only used the Memory Man on the first two albums. If you've seen any of his recent touring rigs it wouldn't surprise me to see a pair of every single thing he's ever used in there.

Edit: It seems I misspoke in the first post; The Unforgettable Fire seems to have been the Korg as opposed to the Roland.
                          Last edited by dystrust; 07-26-2017, 09:34 PM.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Early digital units also had a lower sample rate, so they were grungy in their own way. For the most control, go digital, especially if you want a lot of options and presets.

Comment

Something like a DD-20 should do all that.
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X