banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Putting a clean boost in front of a drive pedal, any benefit ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting a clean boost in front of a drive pedal, any benefit ?

Just curious about stacking drive pedals. My drive pedal has all the gain I need. But is there any difference between using a clean boost and just turning the gain knob up on a drive pedal ?

Re: Putting a clean boost in front of a drive pedal, any benefit ?

Have you considered using the clean boost after the drive pedal? Preserves the tone but makes leads really stand out.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

IMO, stacking gives more compression with less harshness than increasing the gain on a single pedal.

That said, IMO clean boost works better after a drive pedal... instead of hitting the drive pedal harder you boost the drive pedal so that it hits the amp harder.
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I have a solid state amp that takes a volume boost every bit as good as any of my Marshalls, FWIW; so it's definitely doable. Whether or not your pedal can do it is another story. When you find one that does, be sure to let me know.

Comment

Depends on a lot of factors. I run boost into drive all the time. Not every drive pedal takes a boost well. Some of m favourite combinations:

Thundertomate boost > Catalinbread Naga Viper
          z.vex SHO > Xotic BB Preamp
          Catalinbread Naga Viper > Hartman Tommy Bolin fuzz
          Bogner Harlow > Xotic BB Preamp or Way Huge Green Rhino

What I like about stacking is added bite and gain but not necessarily added noise. It also adds a lot more harmonic complexity.

You should definitely try it yourself!
          Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 07-25-2017, 06:25 AM.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I use one in front of the drive, but only for a touch more volume to make up for the loss from switching to split coils or phase reverse. Works good for it, but I don't end up using it much. Have actually been considering switching it to after the drive and using it for solo boost instead, as others have mentioned.
            Originally posted by The Commodores?
            "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

I've used a Boss GE-7 EQ always on, first in the chain in front of my drives with good success to fine tune things.
              Live to play LIVE

Comment

I use a Zvex 2-in-1 (clean boost) in front of my OD pedal. Makes leads stand out a lot better than adding extra gain from the OD pedal.
                Try it out.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Working...
                X