Reverb pedal with presets and midi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverb pedal with presets and midi

I think there's a huge gap in the market between the single reverb pedals (such as the TC Hall of Fame, Boss RV-6, Digitech Polara etc.) and the big super reverb pedals (Strymon Big Sky, Eventide Space, Boss RV-500 etc.).

I used to be a member of this forum 6-8 years ago and was unable to recover my password so I made a new account since I've been have more questions about pickups and whatnot lately. Anyway, I saw the banner ad on top of the forum asking if I had an idea for a pickup or a pedal. Why yes I do. Super cool idea to let us common folk in on the development process. So I clicked on it and submitted a proposal for a stereo reverb pedal similar in size and function as the Strymon Blue Sky, but with a few more reverb types (Hall, Plate, Room, Spring, Church, Shimmer, Modulated), and with the ability to store more on board presets that can be recalled with the second footswitch. At least 4 on board presets and the ability to call up dozens more with a midi switcher or usb device.

I've been looking for something like this for years, and the only thing I've found that is close to what I want is the Free The Tone Ambi Space. However, in Canada it's almost 500 bucks! I'm thinking something in the $200-250 range. The Source Audio Ventris reverb looks really nice, but judging from the threads on TGP it is a super reverb in a smaller package, with extremely deep editing and control. Also going to be expensive.

I want something that's relatively simple (no menu diving) for the plug and play guys but with good algorithms and sound quality that will keep up with the big boys. I don't need super deep editing, I just need several great sounding reverbs accessible with the tap of a switch. What say you guys, anyone else submit anything like that recently?

EDIT: $300 might be more the target price range, which is still cheaper than the big box reverbs and I'd still buy it.
    Last edited by JDaniels; 08-08-2017, 10:47 AM.
    Live to play LIVE

Re: Reverb pedal with presets and midi

So am I the only one that would buy something like that? What would you guys like to see in a medium sized and mid priced reverb?
    Live to play LIVE

Comment

I would buy it, too. But I think for something like that (at that price), you'd either need some sort of older rack thing, or a pedal that would certainly cost more. It takes a lot of processing for a reverb pedal, and to make programmable presets. So you have to compromise on something (like not having switchable presets) or price.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by JDaniels View Post
        So am I the only one that would buy something like that? What would you guys like to see in a medium sized and mid priced reverb?
        I'd love something like this. I really only need 3 Reverb sounds (good spring, plate, bigger hall) selectable remotely.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I would buy it, too. But I think for something like that (at that price), you'd either need some sort of older rack thing, or a pedal that would certainly cost more. It takes a lot of processing for a reverb pedal, and to make programmable presets. So you have to compromise on something (like not having switchable presets) or price.
          OK, I'd concede price. As long as it would be justifiably cheaper than a Big Sky or Eventide Space. On their website, the Big Sky is $479 and the Blue Sky is $299. Is that MSRP, or is that what it costs to bring a new Strymon Reverb home from anywhere? Because the MSRP of a Digitech Polara is $225, but you can get them for $150 on Sweetwater, a bit of a difference. A Blue Sky with 4 presets and midi is getting pretty close to what I'd want. Surely someone could do it for $300 out the door? Perhaps $200 was pushing it, we're shooting for quality here, but I don't think $250 is unreasonable either.
          Last edited by JDaniels; 08-07-2017, 12:24 PM.
          Live to play LIVE

Comment

Strymon is never discounted. $479/$299 is the price.

I wonder when the Source Audio Ventris comes out.

Heck, a MIDI Switcher and three reverbs isn't that much more than some of these...
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              Strymon is never discounted. $479/$299 is the price.

I wonder when the Source Audio Ventris comes out.

Heck, a MIDI Switcher and three reverbs isn't that much more than some of these...
              Exactly.

Latest I've heard on the Ventris is that it should be out this month. But they've been saying that for awhile. One might be able to pick up an RV-500 for a good price over at TGP when the Ventris comes out, a little bigger and more in depth than I'd like, but it should play nice with my DD-500 and ES-5. Would work for the time being, but I'd have to make some space on my board.
              Live to play LIVE

Comment

I've also noticed that Seymour does not have a reverb pedal in his lineup. Might be time to hit the drawing board
                Last edited by JDaniels; 08-07-2017, 02:14 PM.
                Live to play LIVE

Comment

Want more features, yet a drastically reduced price? And MIDI? Not gonna happen.

Find what you need in a rack piece.

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

If no-menu-diving is crucial, I'd suggest TC Electronic M350 rack, and a MIDI foot controller.

Comment

Lots of rack processors can do it, and those would be cheap (even 20 year old processors have great reverbs). But as far as a pedal...I am not sure. The Hall of Fame is good, but no midi, and no presets, unless you buy a few. They have really good editors, so you can save your setting to the pedal, but there is no way to switch to it when you are using another sound other than bending over and manually switching it.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Line 6 M-Series.
                        Last edited by gregory; 08-08-2017, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                          Want more features, yet a drastically reduced price? And MIDI? Not gonna happen.

Find what you need in a rack piece.

Bill
                          I'd concede price if I had to as long as it was still justifiably less than the big super reverbs. By the time I bought a rack to put it in and all the cabling to send midi to my pedal board I don't think I'd be any further ahead price wise, plus I'd have one more piece to carry with me all the time. I'm really trying hard not get into rack stuff, haha.
                          Live to play LIVE

Comment

On the low budget side consider the Zoom 70-CDR, it has MIDI thru USB. Undocumented feature but it works, lots of working examples on youtube.
                            Who took my guitar?

Comment

Again: Line 6 M-Series

Comment

Working...
                              X