TC Electronic Sentry noise gate troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC Electronic Sentry noise gate troubleshooting

LONG POST INCOMING! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!

So I tried adding the TC Electronic Sentry Noise Gate to my pedalboard, but I had a major problem. I know I'll probably get roasted for this, but right now, all of my pedals are true bypass. I know all the hoopla about having too many true bypass pedals, however, the reason I haven't added a dedicated buffer to the beginning of my chain is because my reverb pedal is at the end of the chain and is always on. I'm assuming that it's output impedance is low enough to where it's acting as a real good buffer, because I don't notice any loss of tone or highs at all. I still get that crisp, spanky sound from my Strat. Including my always on pedal, I have 9 true bypass pedals (again, still haven't noticed any tone loss). The Sentry would have been the 10th

I bought the Sentry a long time ago to silence noisy OD pedals, but took it off my board after just getting rid of the noisy ODs. Back when I used it for those pedals, it worked great (I had less pedals back then). The reason I tried putting it back on my board is because I'm now using a Friedman BE-OD as my main drive, and it's got some hum to it.

When I added the Sentry to my current lineup, no sound came out. At all. As if the amp wasn't even on. This was happening both when it was bypassed and when it was on. I tried putting the Sentry in direct series with the rest, and I also tried using the loop in the pedal with my overdrives in there, and nothing was coming out. I took it out completely, and everything came back.

My initial thought was that maybe I had finally exceeded the limit of true bypass pedals I could use, even with my always on reverb acting as a buffer, so I opened up the Sentry and turned the internal switch to the buffered bypass mode. I put it back in using the loop with my overdrives again, and it started off loud, but then quickly fluctuated to no noise again in a matter of seconds, and it kept doing this back and forth for about a minute before it settled on playing normally. However, once it settled, there was a really bad tone suck. Lost a good amount highs, no more sparkle.

What could the problem(s) be? Is it maybe just defective? Or is it not playing nice with all the other true bypass pedals there? I'd like to try adding a good quality, dedicated buffer at the beginning of my chain to see if that would make the Sentry work in true bypass mode, but I wanted opinions on this before I drop cash on the buffer. The weird fluctuation of volume in it's buffered mode concerns me, and I'd hate to buy the buffer, only for it to not solve the problem because the Sentry is just messed up now after being stored away for about a year (in it's box, too).

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Re: TC Electronic Sentry noise gate troubleshooting

What happens when you go guitar - sentry - amp direct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

The same thing is happening directly into the amp. So I'm assuming it's the pedal that's faulty. I guess I should have a tech look at it before buying anything else. I just didn't know if that could be a by product of that many true bypass pedals ��

Comment

It's not likely a buffer problem. The toneprint series of pedals aren't bulletproof, try looking up problems for the tc flashback delay on google search & you'll get an idea. I have the delay too but it hasn't gone belly up on me yet.

I say just don't buy a dedicated buffer to fix this. Two places to look for issues would be, the patch cables/instrument cables/dc power cable & the sentry jacks and footswitch.

Comment

Definitely sounds like a defective unit, doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong.

Comment

I own a Sentry and I have no issues with it. Sorry to hear you are.
            Just sheer curiosity, how are you wiring your in and outs?
            The Correct way to use the Sentry and the built in loop is as follows. Oh and by the way forget the internal buffer on that pedal or any TC pedal, they are terrible buffers.

Guitar---- Sentry IN---Sentry SEND-----first drive pedal----OD---OD etc pedals------Sentry Return------Sentry OUT----to amp IN.
            Now the gating feature what position do you have your toggle switch in? Gate? Fuzz? Toneprint? I use Gate and manually adjust the amount of gating I need.
            I suggest putting all knobs at 12 o'clock and start there. Dial in the right amount of gating but not to much as you don't want to door to close early. This will take away holding notes etc when the signal goes under 100% output.
            I always gauge my gating setting by holding my hand across the strings, using my highest output pickup and waiting for the light to go red. Then test a hold note and see how long it rings out before the gate closes. If it's closing to fast, back off just a tad because you don't want noise but want notes to hold out as long as you want them to.
            This takes a little work to get setup but well worth the effort when you find the sweet spot.

Sounds to me like something might be wrong with your pedal. I suggest beaming a random tone print to your pedal and see if that resets it. You don't have to use the given toneprint but that just might wake it back up.
            Let me know if I can help further.

Comment

Oh forgot to add
              If using the gate just straight through

Guitar----Sentry IN----Sentry OUT-----OD pedals------to front of amp.
              Do not use the Send and return

Comment

Have you checked the firmware? Instructions in the manual at http://cdn-downloads.tcelectronic.co...al-english.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                  I own a Sentry and I have no issues with it. Sorry to hear you are.
                  Just sheer curiosity, how are you wiring your in and outs?
                  The Correct way to use the Sentry and the built in loop is as follows. Oh and by the way forget the internal buffer on that pedal or any TC pedal, they are terrible buffers.

Guitar---- Sentry IN---Sentry SEND-----first drive pedal----OD---OD etc pedals------Sentry Return------Sentry OUT----to amp IN.
                  Now the gating feature what position do you have your toggle switch in? Gate? Fuzz? Toneprint? I use Gate and manually adjust the amount of gating I need.
                  I suggest putting all knobs at 12 o'clock and start there. Dial in the right amount of gating but not to much as you don't want to door to close early. This will take away holding notes etc when the signal goes under 100% output.
                  I always gauge my gating setting by holding my hand across the strings, using my highest output pickup and waiting for the light to go red. Then test a hold note and see how long it rings out before the gate closes. If it's closing to fast, back off just a tad because you don't want noise but want notes to hold out as long as you want them to.
                  This takes a little work to get setup but well worth the effort when you find the sweet spot.

Sounds to me like something might be wrong with your pedal. I suggest beaming a random tone print to your pedal and see if that resets it. You don't have to use the given toneprint but that just might wake it back up.
                  Let me know if I can help further.
                  It's funny that you mention that, because when I first plugged it in, I had done it incorrectly. The input/output and return/send are diagonal from each other. Kind of weird but when I realized it, I thought that was the problem. So I plugged everything in properly, but it was still the same. I'm fairly certain now that it's the pedal that's messed up, because if I apply pressure and pushed hard on the input, it starts making sound and crackling. I've tested all my cables and they're all good, so it has to be the input jack on the pedal. I'll have to have a tech look at it. I'm not very savvy when it comes to the technical side/electrical circuits and what not.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                    Have you checked the firmware? Instructions in the manual at http://cdn-downloads.tcelectronic.co...al-english.pdf

Thank you, yes I have, but I've been tinkering with it a bit more and I'm pretty sure now that it's the input jack on the pedal that's messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                      It's not likely a buffer problem. The toneprint series of pedals aren't bulletproof, try looking up problems for the tc flashback delay on google search & you'll get an idea. I have the delay too but it hasn't gone belly up on me yet.

I say just don't buy a dedicated buffer to fix this. Two places to look for issues would be, the patch cables/instrument cables/dc power cable & the sentry jacks and footswitch.
                      You nailed it! The input jack on the pedal is suspect. All my cables are good. Now to get the pedal fixed!

Comment

Originally posted by deuce241 View Post
                        You nailed it! The input jack on the pedal is suspect. All my cables are good. Now to get the pedal fixed!
                        The Sentry is not that old of a pedal. I think it just came out last year or so. I picked one up when it came out. You might be able to get it repaired or replaced under warranty. Look into that where you purchased it.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                          The Sentry is not that old of a pedal. I think it just came out last year or so. I picked one up when it came out. You might be able to get it repaired or replaced under warranty. Look into that where you purchased it.
                          Definitely looking into it. Thanks!

Comment

Hey i have the same problem, did you find a solution?

Comment

Working...
                            X