More Crying...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Crying...

Hey! I know Coma has a recent Wah thread going, so I hate to start another, but didnt want to hijack either..

There are so many wahs out there and obviously, very rare can you compare them side by side. I have some questions on some Im considering..

First, lil background.. My first wah was a Bad Horsie. Recommended by a bud that loves his and made his sound unreal... BUT.. He is an UNREAL player!! I like it ok, but wanted more traditional one that could be left on with my foot off. Got a Vox. Liked it too. But, was alil trebly (sp?) to me. I even rolled the pot some.

Now I have a Cantrell. Really like it, and may stick with it, but it lost a fight with my car tire and needs repaired..
    I have some others that interest me tho, and wanted to see if anyone could give me some comparisons..

Ive heard great things about and am considering, the:

Bonamassa

EVH

Billy Duffy (didnt know of that one til I saw it mentioned in Coma's thread. Looked it up and looks cool and like the feature set. BUT... Looks like it may no longer be in production..??? Is it?? If so, how is it?

And the CAE.

Read all the product descriptions. All sound pretty interesting.. Even the Slash.. But trying to narrow down some.. hah

Anyhow, can anyone give me plusses/negatives to the ones mentioned and better yet, can anyone compare them directly to the Cantrell as i have most experience with that one?? Thanks so much for the help!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: More Crying...

BlooRose...I love ya, but you sure are lazy today

Literally the first video when searching 'crybaby shootout' contains all the wah's you mention (minus the Billy Duffy):

TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Heh, one of the reasons I've not drank deeper from the Dunloop well (besides the tech specs I listed in the other thread) is that Dunlop did a damn fine job of picking basically the top tier of my fav guitarists for their signature line. I simply couldn't pick just one of them.

Also, courtesy much appreciated.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      1973 Aria 551
      1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
      1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
      1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
      1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
      2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Dunlop formula = take a base wah (standard, 535Q, 95Q), add a few features or tune a few components (inductor, sweep cap, etc.) and add a unique finish and you've got a signature wah.

A lot of people scoff at this, but I think Wah is the second most personal effect after overdrive. The wah I use is a Teese RMC3 which allows you to tweak nearly every capacitor and resistor in the circuit. (Think 535Q on steroids)

I think that video above is a great reference, in the end you'll have to give it a go in your own rig. That being said, the limiting pot is unique to the Cantrell (I've never seen it on any other wah) and it's tuned nicely for heavy rock, so it still might be your winner.

Good luck!
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

If you only have one wah, I think it's best to have an adjustable one to get a variety of tones with, like a MC404 or 535Q. That way it works well for lead & rhythm, for different guitars and amps, different songs & genres, etc. Those with knobs on the outside can quickly be adjusted on stage (vs one's with trim pots inside). If money's an issue, look for used wah's.

If a wah only has one sound, what if it turns out that the sound isn't quite what you want thru your rig?
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
            BlooRose...I love ya, but you sure are lazy today

Literally the first video when searching 'crybaby shootout' contains all the wah's you mention (minus the Billy Duffy):

Thanks for the love bro... Sorry for the laziness. kid is coming home from a 6 month stay in rehab tomm and all my time will be devoted to either driving her to school, NA meetings, counseling or just keeping an eye on her, and I had to be at work at 6pm, so I was/am trying to knock out as many projects as I could. So thanks for the input!
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

ps: Ill check the video soon as I can.. its blocked here at work...

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Not to through more confusion into the mix, but if you haven't already looked into and ruled out the Dimebag wah, give it a good look. The voicing is darker on the Cantrell model and features are a bit different but it's quite versatile. You may find it right up your alley.

Comment

Kirk Hammett approves this thread.

Comment

Don't forget the Wylde wah! Love mine. I wanna check out the Cantrell but no one around here carries it!
                    -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
                    I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Comment

I'll throw a nod to the crybaby classic. True bypass (which is important to me in a wah) and it's tone is incredible.

Comment

Working...
                      X