NPD x2: SD 805 and EHX Hot Tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD x2: SD 805 and EHX Hot Tubes

As a SD fan, I've been wanting to get an 805 for a while. I almost always have a TS on my board and I've tried my fair share.

The thing that surprised me the most right away is how quiet it is. As expected, the the 3 band EQ makes this the most versatile TS but I noticed that the settings I keep coming back to are very TS-ey. Mostly with mids and treble up, bass flat or down. And the other thing I can't still put my finger on is that it feels a bit different from the Ibanez and Maxons I've played, can't really explain it.

The Hot Tubes is fun, one trick poneish but I get it to sound like my tweed deluxe cranked, which is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Blille; 09-04-2017, 11:09 PM.

Re: NPD x2: SD 805 and EHX Hot Tubes

Have you ever had the od9pro+ or the st9+?
    I have a vfe ice-scream that I basically use to mimic the st9+ with the low-boost engaged.
    Yeah they all seem to have a different feel.
    The 9+ with the mid-bump engaged is amazing for bass-heavy guitars/pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
      Have you ever had the od9pro+ or the st9+?
      I have a vfe ice-scream that I basically use to mimic the st9+ with the low-boost engaged.
      Yeah they all seem to have a different feel.
      The 9+ with the mid-bump engaged is amazing for bass-heavy guitars/pickups.
      Not yet! I've played the OD-9 and (as you know ) the OD-808 extensively (both awesome imho) but not those. I've always been curious of the 18v mode and the mid bump on the OD-9 pro +, it might come next.

This video drove me crazy for a while, hard to choose:

I also really like the Ibanez JD9. I feel like it's really solid for classic TS tones with a bit more flexibility.

Last edited by Blille; 09-04-2017, 11:37 PM.

Comment

I've been really curious about the real-tube ROD880. Doubt I'd find that one on the cheap though, unless it was one of the older versions.

Comment

You mean the newer RTD800 as opposed to the older ROD880? I haven't heard anything about it. You get one and tell us.

Comment

Thanks for the review! I use my 805 with a little less mids and more bass than my other TS pedals. Now when I go back to my TS5, it sounds like an AM radio to me.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Thanks for the review! I use my 805 with a little less mids and more bass than my other TS pedals. Now when I go back to my TS5, it sounds like an AM radio to me.
              My pleasure.

Yeah, I think I need to be more open minded about it and leverage the unique sounds it has instead of putting it in my TS slot.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                You mean the newer RTD800 as opposed to the older ROD880? I haven't heard anything about it. You get one and tell us.

Yeah the newest version with the wider housing. So many pedals so little pedal$ lol.

Comment

every time I see that name "hot tubes" I think it's a tube-based overdrive.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                    Likely what they want you to think

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                      Sure enough, that's what got me thinking about the real-tube maxon again.

Comment

Congrats!

I also picked up an 805 a few months ago. Haven't used it much because I've spent most of my playing time dicking around with my Helix. But I agree, it's very quiet, and it does have a unique feel. Highly refined, is how I would describe it.
                        Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

I looked at hundreds of YouTube videos trying to decide on the right distortion pedal. Finally settled on the 805.
                          The 3 band EQ gave it more versatility. Goes from screamer to heavy crunch with ease. As mentioned before, super quiet. Just a great pedal!

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyRevy View Post
                            I looked at hundreds of YouTube videos trying to decide on the right distortion pedal. Finally settled on the 805.
                            The 3 band EQ gave it more versatility. Goes from screamer to heavy crunch with ease. As mentioned before, super quiet. Just a great pedal!
                            I still use mine every day. And normal Tube Screamers still sound AM radio-ish to me.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

While I don't have an 805, I have played one.

It's about everything you could want in a tube screamer.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X