Upgrade valve for pre amp pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade valve for pre amp pedal

i have a Blackstar HT dual pre amp pedal on its way to me and, as it is valve powered was considering getting a valve upgrade for the stock valve (the original then being kept as a spare).
    Can I have suggestions on a reliable, low noise, non microphonic high performance tube that does not cost a fortune?
    NOS valves are a bit pricey but if that is what it takes to get the best sound then I would consider one but I have noticed some "cryogenic" tubes on the market which are presumably current production items......are they worth it or should I simply go for a standard current production tube?

Need vacuum tubes? Want to build your own amplifier? Have an unhealthy HiFi obsession? We've got you covered.

I’ve found this helpful in the past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: Upgrade valve for pre amp pedal

Try the stock one first to see what you like/dislike about it. A new tube isn't going to drastically change the sound of the pedal, it will be more subtle changes. Then, go through the chart that Vince posted to compare tube characteristics. Maybe buy a few so you can compare them in the pedal.

Comment

I have 3 of those pedals...,they absolutely kill.
        One has a short grey plate RCA (NOS) which sounds amazing.
        Another has a Sovtek LPS which also sounds amazing. And the 3rd has a stock(?) JJ.
        They all sound slightly different but all sound damn good.
        I like the advise above about just playing what comes in the pedal. Figure out what you do/don't like and then ask again about what tubes have the tonal qualities you want in the pedal.
        One thing I will say...,no matter what tube you put in there, this pedal has a LOT of gain....which means a good amount of preamp hiss. I'd highly recommend a noise gate. I have both the Boss NS-2 and the ISP G string. Both work great but the ISP is a much smoother gate...a lot more expensive too, even used.
        I got both of my NS-2 pedals for less than $50 each. If you go with a Boss gate wire it up in the "X" pattern.

Comment

I should be ok re the noise gate as I will be using the blackstar in front of a boss me80 going in to a yamaha thr10c and both have noise gates.
          Hopefully the hiss wont be too much of a problem as I do not use that much gain and the reason I am getting this pedal is because the me80 amp models dont really inspire me ( the thr10 is a lot more valve like but has no fx loop).
          I had a v-twin years ago and was hoping the blackstar would be comparable.

Comment

I had a DistX a few years back. I think everyone was suggesting JJs at that time.

Comment

The pedal has arrived and although it overdrives like crazy it does sound a little on brittle side so I am considering a GTECC83S as it is said to be a recreation of the Mullard ecc83 and should be smoother although less gainy (which wont be a bad thing). Revalving the Blackstars is said to broaden its EQ capabilities too.

Comment

It might be your signal chain, you are stacking a lot of things that aren't meant to be stacked, you have 2 - 3 preamps daisy chained all the time.

Kinda surprised you can't get good practice tones out of the THR, I had a THR10X that sounded great for playing around the house.

Comment

I'm surprised you are finding the pedal brittle? All 3 of mine sound amazing.
                  I'd suggest trying it plugged in alone. No ME-80 or anything else.
                  Just my .02 but I'm not a fan of those processors.
                  What I'd do though is run the processor in the loop and the pedal out front.

Comment

He's using a THR10C for the "power amp", that is probably the problem. Great practice amps on their own, but not really the right platform for this.

What setting are you using on the THR10 when you are running into it?

Comment

I was running the pedal from its emulated speaker out in to the thr aux at first then, after a few sessions in to the thr guitar input using a neutral (all tones at zero ) clean sound with reverb which was a little better.
                      I am `no stranger to valve amps as I have owned a jcm 800 split channel, a jcm 2000 tsl and a laney aor in the past plus the vox valvetronix, marshal valvestate, boogie vtwim and digitech rp7 with the faves being the laney pro tube ii 50w 112 combo for sheer dirt.
                      What I am experiencing with the HT dual is, at higher gain settings when I strike a highish note (12th fret g-strig for example) the note gives a bit of a "warble" before ringing out ( as if there were fret buzz but there is not ).
                      Higher frequencies in general are a little loose and raw as well as a little fizzy.
                      The pickups in use are a JB/JAZZ and give a great sound through the THR but I wanted the HT dual for the flexability of its EQ as opposed to amp models.
                      All I really wanted was an opinion of what would be a good replacement/upgrade for the valve in the HT dual, something a little less fizzy and smoother.
                      After reading a few similar posts I have opted for a JJecc83s with gold pins to see how much of a difference it makes with the view to getting a NOS Mullard if the right one at the right price from a UK supplier turns up.
                      Last edited by evan47; 10-05-2017, 12:18 PM.

Comment

I am using the THR10C, class A model with the compressor driving it harder and find that it sounds great but could be a little bit better.
                        I find that I only like the one amp model on the THR but would like a bit more snarl to the lower mids and a tighter high end (think Gary Moore and his greeny LP through a Marshall).
                        Not too much drive but enough to make it sing well with the guitar volume wide open and giving almost clean when at about 5.
                        The Laney AOR II 50w 112 was king at this but are old amps and complicated to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by evan47 View Post
                          I am using the THR10C, class A model with the compressor driving it harder and find that it sounds great but could be a little bit better.
                          I find that I only like the one amp model on the THR but would like a bit more snarl to the lower mids and a tighter high end (think Gary Moore and his greeny LP through a Marshall).
                          Not too much drive but enough to make it sing well with the guitar volume wide open and giving almost clean when at about 5.
                          The Laney AOR II 50w 112 was king at this but are old amps and complicated to fix.
                          Here is a link to a recording I made with my HT dual using the emulated out straight into my DAW. This is the one with the Sovtek in it. How differently does yours sound?

Just a stupid thing I recorded...lol

Comment

It would be difficult to say as you do not include isolated rythym or solo guitar with no other instruments playing but I would say mine sounds fizzier and less tight, your lead sounds are much smoother right from the initial attack where the note is picked.

Comment

Try throwing a JJ in thee and see what happens. I've been pretty happy with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X