banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheapest distortion pedal that can plausibly replace amp gain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheapest distortion pedal that can plausibly replace amp gain?

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    Torn speakers are probably one of the most irritating distortion sounds that I have ever heard.
    You obviously never heard me learn to play with a black Ross distortion box cranked into a puny solid state Radio Shack amp from the '70s! THAT was irritating!

Comment

Try playing through a Randall ES-100 half stack with the Jaguar speakers. Except some idiot has kicked holes in the bottom two speakers, because the Randall didn't have enough gain on tap.
      Thankfully, after a few years of this, the bottom two speakers were finally replaced, and now it sounds fantastic.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Save your pennies and go for a used blackstar pedal. Any one with a valve and 3 band eq would do. Revalve it if you like (I did from day one), mine is the HT Dual, I put a JJ ecc83s gold pin in it to give it a smoother type of grit and it is like having a selection of custom marshalls at your feet. I dislike distortion pedals on a clean amp.

Comment

Originally posted by evan47 View Post
          Save your pennies and go for a used blackstar pedal. Any one with a valve and 3 band eq would do. Revalve it if you like (I did from day one), mine is the HT Dual, I put a JJ ecc83s gold pin in it to give it a smoother type of grit and it is like having a selection of custom marshalls at your feet. I dislike distortion pedals on a clean amp.
          +1
          The HT duel kills. So much so that I have 3 of them. Lol

Comment

I've had both a Blackstar HT Dual and a Distx. Both very cool pedals, but it's hard to find them cheap.

I do have a Blackstar LT Dual (the non-tube version) that I got for a very reasonable $50 when everyone was blowing them out after they were discontinued. It's definitely another cool pedal. I do miss the 3-band EQ from the HT though. Also, I'd like to try it back-to-back with the HT version to see how much the tube is really adding.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Try playing through a Randall ES-100 half stack with the Jaguar speakers. Except some idiot has kicked holes in the bottom two speakers, because the Randall didn't have enough gain on tap.
              Ha! That does sound pretty gross. I think I would have bypassed those suckers.

Comment

I got outbid on a Tech 21 Hot Rod Plexi (not surprised, the retail on those is high!), got outbid on a fully modded DS-1, so I bought a Joyo US Dream. I shall report my findings in a week or so.

Comment

sweet
                  I love those Joyo pedals

my Ultimate Drive sounds awesome

its more OCD than the US Dream

my SS Laney thought it was Meh
                  but my EL84 Carvin LOVES that thing
                  strummed it once with the Carvin and ALL the neighbors came outside
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

RAT
                    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Holy H*ll, what a pedal for $25! Joyo US Dream, $25 brand new including shipping.
                      Volume from zero to serious boost, gain from almost totally clean to too much, and really good sounds at many different settings. I do not like it more than my amp's gain but I do like it a lot and would be willing to play out with it if I had to. Definitely good enough to prove to me that I could find a pedal I could use as my main sound.

So, let's talk a little higher quality:
                      any pedals out there that go "K-K-K" instead of "Ch-Ch-Ch" when you palm mute chords"?
                      That is the only thing that is keeping me from adopting the Joyo as my stage sound, it's just not quite tight enough for my taste.
                      Last edited by Dave Locher; 10-28-2017, 06:42 PM.

Comment

The bogner ubershall and the Duncan palladium gain stage are both great drive sounds with a boost even and used go for ~150. Both have a full eq for dialing in your sounds and tightness. Plenty of videos on YouTube for both. To me they are more amp in a box than just pedals.

Comment

Wampler Triple Wreck.
                          Rocktron Silver Dragon.

There is a video of rabea on that pedal show where they test a bunch of distortion pedals, you might enjoy watching that one.

Comment

A Tube Screamer in front would tighten it up some.

It’s a clone of the Suhr Riot. I can’t attest to the Riot being inherently tighter, but it does have a couple of other clipping options that might be more to your liking.

Otherwise, there are a lot of good distortion pedals out there. My favorites have been the Blackstar HT pedals I’ve tried. The Friedman BE-OD is getting a lot of buzz right now too. The JHS Angry Charlie has been a popular choice for a while, though JHS in general seems to be a somewhat divisive topic.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetClyde99 View Post
                              A Tube Screamer in front would tighten it up some.

It’s a clone of the Suhr Riot. I can’t attest to the Riot being inherently tighter, but it does have a couple of other clipping options that might be more to your liking.

Otherwise, there are a lot of good distortion pedals out there. My favorites have been the Blackstar HT pedals I’ve tried. The Friedman BE-OD is getting a lot of buzz right now too. The JHS Angry Charlie has been a popular choice for a while, though JHS in general seems to be a somewhat divisive topic.
                              Im sure you mean that the other way round
                              the Riot is a clone of the Screamer

the Green Joyo Vintage drive is a clone of the Screamer
                              the Ultimate Drive by Joyo is supposed to be similar to the OCD
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I'm not even going to read through this because I'm too OCD, but OCD is probably (maybe depending on generation) the greatest gain pedal ever. They are beyond flexible.

Comment

Working...
                                X