banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting a Wall-wart to a PSU with a normal plug.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a Wall-wart to a PSU with a normal plug.

I currently have 8 pedals on my board. Thankfully 7 of which are powered through a DC power supply. Sadly, the odd one out is the Whammy, which requires an AC/AC wall-wart. I hate them, they're heavy, clunky...I could go on and on.

What I am considering doing is rehousing the transformer in a box and attaching a length of electrical cable to the input end of the transformer, this cable will then have a normal plug attached. It would basically be more like a typical laptop PSU where the transformer is inline rather than at the end of the wire and built into the plug.

Has anyone ever done this before? Is there anything I should consider before doing this? Does anyone know of a PSU for the whammy that is already like this?

Cheers!!

Re: Converting a Wall-wart to a PSU with a normal plug.

You mention "board". Why not plug the adapter into a simple extension cord and zip tie that to the bottom? Then you are left with a standard plug.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      You mention "board". Why not plug the adapter into a simple extension cord and zip tie that to the bottom? Then you are left with a standard plug.
      That idea was a possibility but I don't think I have the height to accommodate the whammy adaptor. However, a smaller enclosure would probably fit.

I'm just wondering if there's any reason (electrically, safety etc) that I can't or shouldn't do this.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't see a problem with it if you have a good enough idea of what you are doing.

Truetone One Spot Pro CS12 has a 9 Volt AC outlet. I'm not suggesting you buy a new supply just to be able to power the Whammy. But if you are close to getting or needing a new or larger supply anyway, it's just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
          I don't see a problem with it if you have a good enough idea of what you are doing.

Truetone One Spot Pro CS12 has a 9 Volt AC outlet. I'm not suggesting you buy a new supply just to be able to power the Whammy. But if you are close to getting or needing a new or larger supply anyway, it's just a thought.
          Yeah, I had considered a fancier power supply but dunno if I can justify the cost. Although, something like that would be absolutely ideal. Cheers though!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Comment

I would use a standard AC extension cord. Always keep in mind how you will work around things if they go belly up at a gig. For that reason, I prefer simple solutions

Comment

Working...
            X