My Weeping Demon has wept its last tear...NEED new Wah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Weeping Demon has wept its last tear...NEED new Wah

So I pulled my Weeping Demon Was out of the chain abruptly last gig. It was clear that their was a problem with the input connection and that it was the Demon. (Not the best way at a church gig I suppose...)

Anyway - I decided "No big deal" I can fix this with either a small bend of a connector with pliers, or maybe a touch of the iron. Well....once I got inside the input jack was this good looking plastic square of a contraption that did not come apart in any way I recognized or could manage. This SUCKED seriously hard! I really really like that wah. Unfortunately, unrepairable jack is unrepairable. Major Bummer.

So - I am on the hunt, looking for another Wah. I will say that my #1 desired feature is an "Instant On" meaning I do not want to hit a switch or anything to make it go. I just to step on the pedal to go, and when I'm off it stops. Pretty sure that puts me in the Morley Market.

I'm thinking about the Stev Vai Libery Wah. Comments, thoughts, or suggestions appreciated.

PS - need it in 1 week!
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: My Weeping Demon has wept its last tear...NEED new Way

Keep in mind that a switchless wah can’t be true bypass and will affect your tone. In my experience, even though there is a buffer I have found that they are pretty crappy buffers (at least in Dunlop’s pedals).
    Morley make the Bad Horsie switchless but again, I have found that it affected my tone negatively.
    I personally prefer a TB even if it means I give up the convenience of the switchless feature, which I really like.
    I ended up going with the Crybaby Classic and was blown away at how good it sounded.

Comment

I have no idea if the tone will work for your application but the thing I like most about the Morley Tremonti Wah is the clickless feature for activation and spring return and bypass.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Ace are there any cracks in the solder pads visible? As a last ditch effort you could try reflowing the solder on all pads of the tiny board of the input socket. Seeing as it is board mounted, cracks can develop overtime on the pads, a touch of iron may fix the problem. If you can work out the traces, you could ditch the tiny board & mount a proper socket & directly wire it too.

Apart from the morleys, the dunlop 95q comes to mind but it has poor rep in stock form tonewise. Should be easier to find though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
          Ace are there any cracks in the solder pads visible? As a last ditch effort you could try reflowing the solder on all pads of the tiny board of the input socket. Seeing as it is board mounted, cracks can develop overtime on the pads, a touch of iron may fix the problem. If you can work out the traces, you could ditch the tiny board & mount a proper socket & directly wire it too.

Apart from the morleys, the dunlop 95q comes to mind but it has poor rep in stock form tonewise. Should be easier to find though.
          I have a 95q that I didn’t like the tone of with my Quickrod. I wasn’t aware of any available mods for that wah for tone improvement. Are you able to post up any links where I could explore those options?

Sorry Ace....didn’t mean to hijack...

Comment

Does your new zoom have a wah?
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Re: My Weeping Demon has wept its last tear...NEED new Wah

Look for a another used Demon or a 535Q?
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Does your new zoom have a wah?
                Well gosh darn it Dave! Indeed it does. A few flavors in fact!!!! All I need is a Zoom expression Pedal.

It's just CRAZY enough that it might work....

(I really liked the spring load/always on feature though...that was super-duper handy live.)

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                  Morley make the Bad Horsie switchless but again, I have found that it affected my tone negatively.
                  I have found that when you are worried about true bypass regarding playing I Wanna Rock by Twisted Sister, you really missed the point....

Comment

Not sure where I Wanna Rock comes into my post but...if you prefer degraded tone, have at it.

Comment

There may be expression pedals you can buy with the spring loaded feature, too.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                        I have a 95q that I didn’t like the tone of with my Quickrod. I wasn’t aware of any available mods for that wah for tone improvement. Are you able to post up any links where I could explore those options?

Sorry Ace....didn’t mean to hijack...
                        Nope but the basic circuit is supposed to be similar to the GC95B so the mods could be carried over to the 95Q I suppose, there might be some on freestompbox.org or diystompbox forums. There is a true bypass mod for it that comes up if you look it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                          Nope but the basic circuit is supposed to be similar to the GC95B so the mods could be carried over to the 95Q I suppose, there might be some on freestompbox.org or diystompbox forums. There is a true bypass mod for it that comes up if you look it up.
                          Thanks! It’s the TB I’m most interested in. Much appreciated!!

Comment

just gonna go for the Morley style.

As much as the G3N models have potential, I like my Wah before Distortion. And, I don't think I can "auto-on" with the models either. IF I could find a spring load foot switch.

Maybe I'll get a Zoom expression one of these days - there is a lot it can do....but not what I want. Ah well, 35 years and on my third Wah...doing ok.

Comment

So, Ace, besides a kick in the groin, what makes you cry these days?? In other words, what did you get??
                              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                              X