banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any reaxon to NOT buy an MXR Super Badass for Marshallish distortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any reaxon to NOT buy an MXR Super Badass for Marshallish distortion?

RambleFX Marvel Drive. Hi-gain, normal gain (so you can mix like a jumpered Plexi) and an output level. Sounds just like my real Marshalls, natural compression, touch sensitivity, excellent distortion response/tone. Newer ones have a Presence knob - perfect. Replaced my Carl Martin GoldTone and Marshal Gov'nor on my board. The only thing that might sound more authentic IME is my SansAmp PSA-1 with a 1:1.5 ratio compressor after. Not that the others mentioned in this thread aren't as good or better - just in my experience this is what I found.

Comment

Marshall Guv'nor Plus?
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

For the $, build the BSIAB and the Guv'nor. The BSIAB is more of an amp in a box type pedal, it's closer to the DLS than a Guv'nor. They Guv'nor is a great distortion pedal that should stack well with the BSIAB.

Comment

Actually found a dude (Frank the Anvil, in Pennsylvania) who will build me a Guv'nor for less than it would cost me to buy a kit and build it myself!
          He has a good reputation, and although I trust my soldering skills I just dont have free time for projects lately so I am happy to find someone to do it.

Comment

The best bang-for-the-buck Marshall-flavored distortion I've played is the TC Electronic Dark Matter, which can be found routinely in the 30 dollar range. All knobs at noon is an excellent late 70s, early 80s hard rock type of sound.

Comment

This is a really sweet amp-like pedal for Marshall kinda tones..built like a tank too.

..and cheap
              "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I've never tried the original Guv'nor, but I had a GV-2 for a while that never really impressed me--I thought the Joyo US Dream sounded quite a bit better and for less money. By all accounts the new and old Guv'nors are fairly different pedals, but given how many pedals have used the original as a platform, it's hard for me to imagine that no one has done it better by this point. I would be more inclined to go with a Super Crunch Box or Angry Charlie before I spent much on a Guv'nor clone.

That said, I do like my Daddy O I modified using the Monte Allums TNT mod. The knobs end up pointing in some pretty extreme directions, bit once you get it dialed in, it sounds really good considering the $ I've got invested in the thing.

The Barber Dirty Bomb is another pedal that gets a good amount of praise. I think that one is based on a Marshall Shredmaster.

Comment

FWIW, the MI Crunch Box is very similar to a Guv'nor with less EQ (opamp distortion with LEDs for clipping) although it looks like the Super Crunch adds in full EQ controls. The Angry Charlie is a variation on the BSIAB II (overdriven FET design).
                  Last edited by devastone; 11-01-2017, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I read that it is the JHS Charlie Brown that is the BSIAB clone and that the Angry Charlie is the slightly tweaked Crunch Box—i.e., Guv’nor based. But I’m just relying on forum knowledge and am in no position to validate any of that myself.

Comment

Two faves are the Ramble FX Marvel Drive 3 and Cmatmods Brownie.
                      Last edited by Gearjoneser; 11-01-2017, 08:54 PM.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Really depends on what your trying to push. If you already have a Marshall/ Marshallesque amp, a pedal like the Duncan 805 or Box of Rock is perfect with a thats time honored tone designed for a Marshall. If you are trying to get Marshall tones form a non Marshall amp like a Fender or something, that opens the floodgates for a myriad of Marshall -in - a box - pedals.
                        "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

The CMATMODs Brownie is a BSIAB, it even says so in the description - http://www.cmatmods.com/brownie.html

Comment

Bought a handbuilt Guv'nor clone with an added clipping switch (led/no diodes/silicon), bought a Super Badass, bought a handbuilt Bluesbreaker/Morning Glory clone. Sold the MXR, keeping the other two. Don't like ANY of them into my amp set clean, or at least don't like any better than the gain sound my head puts out. But...the guv and the bb both work great as boosts into my already-dirty amp. Plugging into the low input, running the red channel (1978 Randall RG100ES) with gain between noon and 3 o'clock, kick on either faux Marshall and I get a sound that I actually like better than the amp by itself. Running both pedals with the gain low (9 o'clock or so), volume pegged, and it just works. So I did not find what I was looking for but what I found gives me crunchy crunch crunch in slightly different flavors without breaking the bank.
                            I did find an Angry Charlie at my local shop and next time I am there I will compare it to a Super Badass just out of curiosity, but for the moment I am done searching for a gain pedal.

Comment

You might also try a Marshall Shredmaster if you want more "Marshallized" dirt to run into a clean channel. They aren't as "shred" as the name suggests, great sounding pedals, but harder to find, BYOC makes a kit for one.

Comment

Yeah, the name made me totally overlook that one!
                                I'm good for now. Each one does nice things to my amp, and if I want "more" i can always kick them both on. Nice, as long as both are set to low gain.

Comment

Working...
                                X