banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have some pedals that have a high noise level and a 'pop' when engaged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have some pedals that have a high noise level and a 'pop' when engaged?

I guess this thread is more for the guys playing in a louder environment as the popping doesn't occur on bedroom levels. But it kinda pisses me off to have a new pedal, loving it at home only to find out its not so good when playing with the band. Some pedals seem to have it others don't, my latest addition: a MXR 109 6 band EQ, makes a loud pop when engaged and adds quite some hiss to the signal. I was going to use it as a mid/treble/solo boost through the front end of my amp but it doesn't play nicely with it . I build my own Klon(e) and Maxon from Aion and they have very low noise added to the signal and no pop when engaged regardless of their position in the chain.
    btw I opened up the underside of the pedal (aka battery compartment) and its all shiney smd components, no funny smell (sometimes people sell their pedals because they fried something) or anything suspicious, I don't think this pedal is supposed to be like this? My first MXR pedal and probably my last if this is normal.
    Or did I put it in the wrong spot of the chain?

Re: Do you have some pedals that have a high noise level and a 'pop' when engaged?

I have an early 80s Crybaby that does this. It pops all the time. It is hissy all the time.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Re: Do you have some pedals that have a high noise level and a 'pop' when engaged?

EQ pedals can be the worst for adding hiss. They usually do it when boosting, not cutting so one thing to try is cutting the frequencies you don't want rather than boosting those you do.

Regarding popping, it's usually a buildup of static electricity that causes it. If you cycle each pedal a few times when you first plug in, a lot of times that will resolve it. Sometimes you can add a pull down resistor to the switch if that's the issue, but it may not resolve it.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I have an early 80s Crybaby that does this. It pops all the time. It is hissy all the time.
        Mine did that too, as well as being squeky as all hell. I still have it but never use it. Caused more sorrow than joy.
        --------------------------------------------------------
        1973 Aria 551
        1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
        1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
        1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
        1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
        2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
          Mine did that too, as well as being squeky as all hell. I still have it but never use it. Caused more sorrow than joy.
          Mine is now all beat up, and it looks cool as hell, but now that I am used to quiet wahs, I don't see how I can go back. Maybe I will transplant the guts of a nice one into this shell.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
          X