banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to connect a distortion pedal in order to use it as a preamp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to connect a distortion pedal in order to use it as a preamp?

For example, say I want to use an AMT Legend Amp pedal as a preamp, which way is correct?

guitar--->pedal--->return jack of the FX loop
    or
    guitar--->input jack on the amp--->send--->pedal--->return

If the first way is correct, will using a tube amp without anything in the input jack damage it somehow?

Re: How to connect a distortion pedal in order to use it as a preamp?

Most pedals are designed for instrument-level signals, but most effects loops are designed for line level. It won't hurt your amp to run it without anything plugged into the input, but with many distortion pedals you might need a booster to get a signal strong enough to drive your power amp. For this type of arrangement guitar > pedal > FX return would be the way to go. Feeding a distortion box that's looking for a weak guitar signal with a line level from your effect send could produce weird results.

Then again, I've heard of amps where the effects loop can be set to run at instrument level- they provide that option specifically so players can run pedals in the loop. So check your amp for it- if yours has that capability you're golden. If not, there are certain pedals which are designed to act as preamps, some of these might have enough power to push a power amp- I suspect many preamp pedals probably have an output level switch for line or instrument level. But your average distortion pedal (unless it has huge output) would likely not have enough juice to do well in that situation.

But it can't hurt to try a pedal or two and see how they do.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Just to answer your specific question - running an amp without signal into the preamp input will NOT harm your amp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe the AMT pedals are designed to be run directly into the effects loop. Have you read the manual for the pedal?
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The AMT pedals are true preamps so they are made to run into the fx loop although the 2 series have outputs to run in front of the amp also.

Yes the level that amp loops are looking for can vary and some are switchable, but the AMTs should be able to give plenty of signal to run into the return.

And no, it won't hurt the amp at all to not have anything plugged into the input.

Comment

+1 to everything devastone said.
            Guitars:
            Schecter E-1 FR S (Sustaniac/Apocalypse), LEF EXP (Mayhem Set), Schecter C-1 Classic (Jazz/Distortion), Squire Affinity Strat (Hotrails)

Amps:
            Peavey MX VTX, Bugera 333x Infinium

Pedals:
            AMT SS-11B

Comment

Another good way to do it is AMT> Powerstage 170> guitar cab.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

guitar--->pedal--->return jack of the FX loop that would be fine, just as Devastone said.

Here adding my two cents, just to make it more interesting (or confusing?). If you already have a switching device like Boss LS-2 or any of the big boys like MS-3, SE-5, SE-8 or something like that you can always switch back and forth between your own amp's preamp section and the external preamp like the AMT. Just think of your own amp preamp as if it was another pedal where Amp Input= Pedal Input and Amp FX Send = Pedal Output.
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Another good way to do it is AMT> Powerstage 170> guitar cab.
                  I really liked how the guys from That Pedal Show used it to turn a regular single amp ring into a stereo rig.
                  Who took my guitar?

Comment

I'm sure the PowerStage is great but from the OPs question, I'm guessing he already has the amp with the fx loop.

Comment

Working...
                    X